PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which direction should we go in for QB next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What direction should we go in for QB next season?

• Keep Cam

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Trade for Matt Stafford or Watson

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Pick a rookie in the draft

Votes: 70 84.3%

• Total voters
Jayson Tatum has just said that lasting effects of COVID are hurting his game. His statistics back that up.

I wonder if the same could have been true for Cam. I thought he played well prior to COVID. If he had just minor symptoms like a slightly foggy head, it could explain a lot of his problems on the field.

If Bill just has to have himself some more Scam, then at least I hope that he re-signs him for not a penny more than a one-year, non-guaranteed, vet-minimum contract...and then finds himself another, better QB before the draft...

Jayson Tatum has just said that lasting effects of COVID are hurting his game. His statistics back that up.

I wonder if the same could have been true for Cam. I thought he played well prior to COVID. If he had just minor symptoms like a slightly foggy head, it could explain a lot of his problems on the field.
It definitely affected his brain, he bought new clothes and forgot to wear them.

I'm so anxious, can't wait to see what happens. Will we get Mariota, or will it be Dreamy Jimmy? What about Jaboo? Carr anyone? Probably stick with Stidham w/ Cam as his backup.

The mid-level draft slot creates a dilemma.

If you roll the dice on being able to trade up/hope other teams pick for other positions and are wrong, then it is déjà vu and one more season of near .500 purgatory. At that point you may as well bottom out in 2021 (with Stidham throwing to Harry in a repeat of the Marc Wilson-Hugh Millen years) and get a top ten pick in 2022, rather than be in the same situation yet again. We can make wagers on whether or not he breaks Joe Kapp's TD-Int ratio.

In terms of a veteran free agent or trade, it seems to me the preferable way to go would be something along the lines of what the Cowboys (Andy Dalton) or Dolphins (Ryan Fitzpatrick) did last year, with the idea of entering the season with that veteran as an inexpensive backup in case of injury.

The downside to trading up is that the Patriots have a lot of other positions in need of an upgrade. If other teams see the Pats have nobody (ie, Cam v2.0) as the 2021 QB, then leverage is lost in draft trade negotiations. At least with a Dalton-type of QB on the roster the Pats could avoid a hard sell of giving up too much to move up.

If Prescott does not re-sign with Dallas that could have a domino effect on the rest of the veteran quarterbacks that are being discussed as potential trade bait. The other major factor is how the rest of the league reacts to a less-than-planned-on 2021 salary cap. It will be very interesting (at least to me) how this all pans out.

Build the roster with 2022 in mind, not just 2021. I'm leery of trading away too much to move up a few spots, despite the incredible significance of the quarterback position.

The mid-level draft slot creates a dilemma.

If you roll the dice on being able to trade up/hope other teams pick for other positions and are wrong, then it is déjà vu and one more season of near .500 purgatory. At that point you may as well bottom out in 2021 (with Stidham throwing to Harry in a repeat of the Marc Wilson-Hugh Millen years) and get a top ten pick in 2022, rather than be in the same situation yet again. We can make wagers on whether or not he breaks Joe Kapp's TD-Int ratio.

In terms of a veteran free agent or trade, it seems to me the preferable way to go would be something along the lines of what the Cowboys (Andy Dalton) or Dolphins (Ryan Fitzpatrick) did last year, with the idea of entering the season with that veteran as an inexpensive backup in case of injury.

The downside to trading up is that the Patriots have a lot of other positions in need of an upgrade. If other teams see the Pats have nobody (ie, Cam v2.0) as the 2021 QB, then leverage is lost in draft trade negotiations. At least with a Dalton-type of QB on the roster the Pats could avoid a hard sell of giving up too much to move up.

If Prescott does not re-sign with Dallas that could have a domino effect on the rest of the veteran quarterbacks that are being discussed as potential trade bait. The other major factor is how the rest of the league reacts to a less-than-planned-on 2021 salary cap. It will be very interesting (at least to me) how this all pans out.

Build the roster with 2022 in mind, not just 2021. I'm leery of trading away too much to move up a few spots, despite the incredible significance of the quarterback position.
2021 is not the year to bottom out. Not with the opportunity to build the roster in front of them. 2020 was the year to divest and sink or swim with the kids for the higher draft pick. We didn’t. Now we are in draft purgatory. If they like a QB like Wilson or Lance (or Jones if he vaults up the board), they’ll need to trade up.

What about a trade for Jordan Love?
I saw a mock where we trade a second snd fourth this year and a third next year for Love.
I wouldn’t hate that

What about a trade for Jordan Love?
I saw a mock where we trade a second snd fourth this year and a third next year for Love.
I wouldn’t hate that
That’s way too much draft capital to give up for him. I’d be more intrigued by Love than trading to exhume the corpse of Carson Wentz while paying him bank for the pleasure of the experiment, though.

Pats are in a tough position. Their meaningless wins against the Jets and Arizona will hurt their ability to draft a QB. The top draft QBS, Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance are all going to be gone by pick 15. There's an outside possibility of Mac Jones failing to us, but that's probably the best shot we have at drafting a QB in the first round.

Last edited:
Pats are in a tough position. Their meaningless wins against the Jets and Arizona will hurt their ability to draft a QB. The top draft QBS, Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance are all going to be gone by pick 15. There's an outside possibility of Mac Jones failing to us, but that's probably the best shot we have at drafting a QB.
I said the beating the Jets was the worst thing this team could of done.
Here is the counter argument though.
Mccourty talked about how good that win felt and they know they can win games and so on so forth.
However to me a win in 2020 season means nothing for the 2021 season I would of looked long term and lost that game which could be the difference between a very good player and a good player.

I'm so anxious, can't wait to see what happens. Will we get Mariota, or will it be Dreamy Jimmy? What about Jaboo? Carr anyone? Probably stick with Stidham w/ Cam as his backup.
That would be a recipe for a 0 or 1 win season.

JG is the guy to get IMO - if he is available.

I'm gonna say this once, and then I'm gonna go shower because it makes me feel dirty. It doesn't sound like it's a guarantee that Roethlisberger returns to the Steelers:

Cap situation is a disaster
They say he needs to take a pay cut from his current $19M
Left tackle is a free agent
Left guard is a free agent
Center retired
Supposed #1 receiver averaged a painful 8.6 yards per catch and is a free agent
Actual #1 receiver (in yards) led the league in drops
Running game was the worst in the league, and the top RB is a free agent
#1 TE was second among TEs in drops
#2 tight end retired
OC since 2018 (who was also QB coach from 2010-2019) was fired
New OC has never called plays in the NFL and had never coached at all in the NFL until last season
~25% of the defensive snaps were by players who are free agents

I'd wait for GB to cut Rodgers :whistle:

The Pats are the guy who waited to long to ask a girl to the dance and now they are stuck hoping a good one gets dumped before prom so they can swoop in and grab her. That guy usually ends up with this....

ugly_400x400-min.jpg

I'd wait for GB to cut Rodgers :whistle:

The Pats are the guy who waited to long to ask a girl to the dance and now they are stuck hoping a good one gets dumped before prom so they can swoop in and grab her. That guy usually ends up with this....

View attachment 30606
Please take down this post. That’s my mom.

I'm gonna say this once, and then I'm gonna go shower because it makes me feel dirty. It doesn't sound like it's a guarantee that Roethlisberger returns to the Steelers:

Cap situation is a disaster
They say he needs to take a pay cut from his current $19M
Left tackle is a free agent
Left guard is a free agent
Center retired
Supposed #1 receiver averaged a painful 8.6 yards per catch and is a free agent
Actual #1 receiver (in yards) led the league in drops
Running game was the worst in the league, and the top RB is a free agent
#1 TE was second among TEs in drops
#2 tight end retired
OC since 2018 (who was also QB coach from 2010-2019) was fired
New OC has never called plays in the NFL and had never coached at all in the NFL until last season
~25% of the defensive snaps were by players who are free agents
What are you saying that makes you feel dirty? That we should go after Rapesberger?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back