PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which direction should we go in for QB next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What direction should we go in for QB next season?

• Keep Cam

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Trade for Matt Stafford or Watson

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Pick a rookie in the draft

Votes: 70 84.3%

• Total voters
Won’t happen, but for context/info..

The problem with that idea was that as long as Brady was around, he was likely to want that pick used towards someone who would help the team win now. Which, I imagine, was why we went for Sony Michel instead of Lamar Jackson, for example, or N'Keal Harry instead of Drew Lock, as well as some of the rumored tension about Jimmy Garoppolo. So you can't commit to taking a first round QB unless you start treating Brady like a short term one year QB.

As to 'retreads', I feel like Trubisky has at least a good shot of turning out to be this free agency's Ryan Tannehill.
I don’t mean two years ago, I mean this draft. Some people want a vet QB and not draft one in the first round. I’m in the camp of find the QB in the draft you want and pay whatever it takes to get him.

If you don't use the resources this year, you've missed a gigantic opportunity to capitalize not only on all the players w/o contracts (or released) because so many team are over the cap, but you miss the opportunity to get them on cheaper contracts than what we're going to see in the future.

It's like taking your medicine for this year for no reason at all.

You go all in with the cap this offseason.
Cousin, I concur with your assessment.Other than Lawrence, I cannot see any college QB that is a "promised -land" QB, can you?

This QB class is not great, let's be honest. In fact, the whole Draft class kind of rots. Mac Jones might be a slight upgrade on Stidham. Fields is a larger version of Murray. Nice but not a "bet the house on" kid. Trey Lance? One year wonder. Only one game played in 2020 because of covid. All of you posters who hate Trubisky (I think he can be saved) note he was a one year wunderkind,
Wilson is talented but you are dealing with he and abysmal his pain family (see LaVar Ball in the NBA) Your drafting his whole family. You want that? Think BB will take that crap?

Unless you hit lucky in the mid Draft like Mond or Trask, there are no Brady's or Josh Allen's. BB lost this SB. Meaning his legacy took a hit.

So Upstarter said go in with CAP moves, I agree. BB isn't starting one of these kids, he's not a great Drafter (Monte and Nic C. needed to be part of that blame). BB works his Draft to supplement his roster, not to pencil in starters Draft day.

You have to pick a player at QB capable of winning day one:
Trubisky
Carr
Watson
Kyle Allen
Mariota
Wentz?
Minshew

Not in any order.
DW Toys

a little movement on the mariota front - this is one i actually wouldn't be surprised to see them go after

not sure how much interest has been shown, or if this is the raiders trying to drum up some interest, or a little of both

a little movement on the mariota front - this is one i actually wouldn't be surprised to see them go after

not sure how much interest has been shown, or if this is the raiders trying to drum up some interest, or a little of both

From what I recall we had Interest last season but had no cap to Match the Raiders deal.

3 4th round picks (two compensatory) in the hand right now......they are projecting a mid round pick to be about the cost......

3 4th round picks (two compensatory) in the hand right now......they are projecting a mid round pick to be about the cost......
Don't know if he's worth even that much compared to some of next month's UFAs, who will require no compensation (other than possibly affecting our 2022 compensatory formula)...No point in making a trade now; I'd wait until the beginning of the new league year/free agency period, when teams have to start getting under whatever the Cap is announced to be, whenever that is...

i was thinking just one of those lol......depends on if others are actually interested, i guess

I don’t mean two years ago, I mean this draft. Some people want a vet QB and not draft one in the first round. I’m in the camp of find the QB in the draft you want and pay whatever it takes to get him.

I'm in that camp IF there is a guy in the draft they feel will become that guy. Not all drafts or draft picks are created equal. Last thing a team should do is draft a guy at QB you aren't enamored with because it's a need.

In an ideal world you get a veteran QB but still have your #15 pick to draft a guy if you want.

Using later round draft picks to trade for veterans who might otherwise be cap casualties could be beneficial because acquiring their existing contract might be better than what you’ll have to pay them out on the free agent market.

Don't know if he's worth even that much compared to some of next month's UFAs, who will require no compensation (other than possibly affecting our 2022 compensatory formula)...No point in making a trade now; I'd wait until the beginning of the new league year/free agency period, when teams have to start getting under whatever the Cap is announced to be, whenever that is...
I thought the teams need to be under the cap when new leauge year starts mid march?
@Miguel can you confirm?

True but if they want him then I think they should pull the trigger sooner then later for 2 reasons (same with other QB's) 1. they can avoid a bidding war or in his case a mini battle...but still...you get him or a different QB now so the trading team doesn't get more offers from other teams and 2. the sooner a QB is signed then the sooner he can start learning the playbook. With slimmed down practices due to Covid...I think that's the route to go.

I'm in that camp IF there is a guy in the draft they feel will become that guy. Not all drafts or draft picks are created equal. Last thing a team should do is draft a guy at QB you aren't enamored with because it's a need.

Right. I’d rather them trade up and pay whatever it takes to get that guy in the draft if he won’t be there at 15. If you can’t get him in this draft, get a good vet and try again in next year’s draft.

Right. I’d rather them trade up and pay whatever it takes to get that guy in the draft if he won’t be there at 15. If you can’t get him in this draft, get a good vet and try again in next year’s draft.
So, your idea is to wait to see who we can get in the draft and then sign a good veteran?

What makes you think that we will have a reasonable chance at a good veteran after the draft?

So, your idea is to wait to see who we can get in the draft and then sign a good veteran?

What makes you think that we will have a reasonable chance at a good veteran after the draft?
No, I think you get the vet, but no matter which vet you get, plan to take a QB high in the draft. I liken it to the Chiefs with Alex Smith vs. the Chiefs with Mahomes.

Using later round draft picks to trade for veterans who might otherwise be cap casualties could be beneficial because acquiring their existing contract might be better than what you’ll have to pay them out on the free agent market.
Maybe. But in a down year I doubt that will be the case.

I'm coming around to the thought that for better or worse our starting QB in week 1 will be Cam Newton.

I'm coming around to the thought that for better or worse our starting QB in week 1 will be Cam Newton.
If that's true - and I most certainly hope it's not - then Bill almost HAS to draft Mac Jones as the QB of the Future...

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back