PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where does J.C Jackson rank and what is he worth?

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
He picks off the ball a lot and seems to have streaks of shutting guys down and being just another starter level guy. He had a very solid game today but he seems a bit feast or famine. It's hard to argue he isn't good enough to be a #1 CB. But is he the #1 guy you think they should match any offer to keep?

Or is he a guy who like but say good bye to to avoid over paying? This season he has made a case for both at times. Maybe i'm just a bit down on him for no reason though?

Last edited:
Asante Samuel 2 (not to be confused with Asante Samuel Jr.)

No idea whether he's worth the money or not.

He’s definitely a #1 corner. The question is whether he can be a shut down, all pro corner. I don’t think he is but he’s clearly a very good player.

What's hilarious is that I've said that the Patriots will reach a long term extension with him or franchise him and I've been told in no uncertain terms that he's not worth it by at least one well-informed poster.

Sorry, but He's worth the franchise tag. And he's worth a 4year/$64M contract.

He’s definitely a #1 corner. The question is whether he can be a shut down, all pro corner. I don’t think he is but he’s clearly a very good player.
We need him so gonna have to pay. The days of sucky corners I hope are long gone especially in this day and age.

What's hilarious is that I've said that the Patriots will reach a long term extension with him or franchise him and I've been told in no uncertain terms that he's not worth it by at least one well-informed poster.

Sorry, but He's worth the franchise tag. And he's worth a 4year/$64M contract.
you're wrong DaB...Jackson sucks. He'll never be better than a passable #2...the Pats really screwed up letting Gilmore walk..they should have given him a four year 60 million dollar contract at 31 years of age...instead of a young player that has no talent to be a #1...and if you disagree with me I just would like to add, I READ everything I just posted RIGHT HERE on these threads ...since the start of the season. So...nice try attempting to upend the narrative but that well informed poster has made it clear...Jackson just isn't any good. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

If the patriots were smart in my opinion. They would give him a slightly above average contract for a number one corner, but back load a lot of it. That way if we are somehow able to find another diamond in the rough, or draft number tire man to man CB, or even sign one later in CA or trade. We could then take a vantage of him in his prime, but then potentially move on from him when we have a comparable or better player opposite to him.

Double post

We should maybe start him at WR since they are all JAG's!
We’ve had enough WRs start as CBs in times of need. It’s only right to have a CB step up when we need a boost at WR.

If the patriots were smart in my opinion. They would give him a slightly above average contract for a number one corner, but back load a lot of it. That way if we are somehow able to find another diamond in the rough, or draft number tire man to man CB, or even sign one later in CA or trade. We could then take a vantage of him in his prime, but then potentially move on from him when we have a comparable or better player opposite to him.
Really don't backload contracts for players in their prime plus JC will want his money up front

He will want to get paid considering he was an undrafted free agent and he will deserve it. I see a franchise tag coming his way.

I’d seriously consider franchise tag. He has probably priced himself out for a long term contract. But if he can stay at 18M$ for one year…

Really don't backload contracts for players in their prime plus JC will want his money up front

I agree that’s why you take an approach were you guarantee at the very least one full year of his contract at a rate of 15 to 17 Million. That way you take an approach were you only guarantee at the very least one full year of his contrat. You then offer something like 5 to 10 on his second year, all guaranteed. So 5 years at 70 million, with 2 years guaranteed.

this is an approach I wouldn’t recommend normally, but I do believe JC Jackson has been consistent enough, also while being borderline elite/great. When you combine his availability and consistency, along with his potential to grow like he has over the last four years, I think you negate some of the risk you’d normally take by front loading his contract with guarantees on a 1 to 2 year basis.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back