PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where does J.C Jackson rank and what is he worth?

I agree that’s why you take an approach were you guarantee at the very least one full year of his contract at a rate of 315 to 17 MeI agree that’s why you take an approach were you guarantee at the very least one full year of his contract at a rate of say, 15 to 17 mill. You then offer something like 5 to 10 on his second year, all guaranteed.

this is an approach I wouldn’t recommend normally, but I do believe JC Jackson has been consistent enough, also while being borderline elite/great. When you combine his availability and consistency, along with his potential to grow like he has over the last four years, I think you Nagy some of the risk you’d normally take by Front loading his contract with guarantees on a 1 to 2 year basis.
I hear you but it won't come close to what he will get in guarantees up front offers in FA

I hear you but it won't come close to what he will get in guarantees up front offers in FA

but that’s the beauty of the franchise tag. And like I said the amount that I suggested towards guaranteeing, would be essentially around the same amount as the franchise tag. So the team has that leverage over him. I also don’t see another player that the team would need to utilize the franchise tag on over the next two years.

I’d seriously consider franchise tag. He has probably priced himself out for a long term contract. But if he can stay at 18M$ for one year…

i was just about to ask what the tag is next year for a cb. 18m id do if an extension cant be reached. Weve got to keep him here one way or another

but that’s the beauty of the franchise tag. And like I said the amount that I suggested towards guaranteeing, would be essentially around the same amount as the franchise tag. So the team has that leverage over him. I also don’t see another player that the team would need to utilize the franchise tag on over the next two years.
Tag doesn't give the team flexibility to spread the guarantee nor cost certainly for a few years.

He earned it... He got called for holding so many times in his first couple years. You cant call every hold. In any case hes legit

Tag doesn't give the team flexibility to spread the guarantee nor cost certainly for a few years.

I agree, but with next year having some dead cap cleared, along with the other contractual needs that we have to take care of, I easily put him at the top of the list of priorities. Simply put if we want him we can have him. Now he could choose to hold out, and that’s a whole different problem, but if we guarante him a respectable rate for two years. With his leverage it would be hard for him to continue to hold out. UDFA’s get screwed in a way. I was surprised after the success from the last 10 years by many undrafted free agents, that the players union didn’t address this in last year‘s renegotiations.

I think you have to pay him. This I think is his 3rd year in a row he’s one of the INT leaders. You can argue whether he’s a #1 or a #2, but he’s good enough. And what’s your alternative? This was a problem they had in 2008. I had no problem with Samuel walking, but Bill’s plan didn’t work and the CB position suffered for 5 years until the trade for Talib.

Jackson will want to test the market or Bill has to Franchise him. I’ve seen it projected to be $17.4M

What's hilarious is that I've said that the Patriots will reach a long term extension with him or franchise him and I've been told in no uncertain terms that he's not worth it by at least one well-informed poster.

Sorry, but He's worth the franchise tag. And he's worth a 4year/$64M contract.
Imagine going from a UDFA contract to a CB Franchise Contract. Methinks he'll be happy with that and won't hold out.

I’d seriously consider franchise tag. He has probably priced himself out for a long term contract. But if he can stay at 18M$ for one year…
I think we can easily do better than that. The franchise tag is considered by players to be something of a **** move. It tends to lead to bad feelings down the line.

What we can do instead is offer tag money plus a bit extra for the first year, and then see what we can settle at for years after that.

Imagine going from a UDFA contract to a CB Franchise Contract. Methinks he'll be happy with that and won't hold out.

Doubt that. These people (players)
look at themselves as top tear earners and elites among society. For a very long time they were at the top echelon of earners. They want to buy the best cars and the most expensive homes. With that being said, the elites of the world have more then doubled their earnings in the last year. A nice mansion in Florida, or the other locations that these elite tend to buy homes, have gone up by 40 to 50% over the last two years. Inflation is killing all of us, but with the rich getting extremely richer on top of it. This a fax the middle class elite drastically, like it affects the middle class and the rest of the country. These players want everything they could possibly get. $10 million today was $6 million in 2019. Everything as we know has changed.

I agree, but with next year having some dead cap cleared, along with the other contractual needs that we have to take care of, I easily put him at the top of the list of priorities. Simply put if we want him we can have him. Now he could choose to hold out, and that’s a whole different problem, but if we guarante him a respectable rate for two years. With his leverage it would be hard for him to continue to hold out. UDFA’s get screwed in a way. I was surprised after the success from the last 10 years by many undrafted free agents, that the players union didn’t address this in last year‘s renegotiations.
They won't have a ton of space to play with. They might have $35-$40m if they are lucky.

They won't have a ton of space to play with. They might have $35-$40m if they are lucky.

So what? The first year of the Contract is almost always the lowest hitting because they amortize the signing bonus and reduce the salary accordingly.
n, ,
The Cap for next year is already set at 208.2. The Pats will have 24-26M.. They can do the contract I mentioned (4/$64M) with $3M salary, 20M SB and a $16M AAV. Still have plenty to add to the team including draft picks.

The Pats have a long list of Free Agents. Nick Folk, Adrian Phillips, Ju'Whaun Bentley, DMac, Hightower, Langi, Trent Brown, JC Jackson, Carl Davis, Ted Karras, Matt Slater, James White, Brandon Bolden, Brandon King, Collins, Hoyer, Ferentz, and Troy Fumegalli.

Of those Jackson is the only "MUST" sign, IMHO. Phillips, Folk, Bentley, Karras, and Slater are ones I'd love to have back but they aren't going to get a whole lot. I think another team is likely to sign Karras away. Same with Bentley and Phillips.

I could see Hightower, Slater, DMac, Hoyer and White all retiring.

Bolden, King, Ferentz, Langi, and Davis are bottom of the roster guys who should be replaced by Rookies.

You would think but I don't think the players have the same thought process.

He picks off the ball a lot and seems to have streaks of shutting guys down and being just another starter level guy. He had a very solid game today but he seems a bit feast or famine. It's hard to argue he is good enough to be a #1 CB. But is he the #1 guy you think they should match any offer to keep?

Or is he a guy who like but say good bye to to avoid over paying? This season he has made a case for both at times. Maybe i'm just a bit down on him for no reason though?
Not sure he's a #1 CB? He's one of the best in the league

Doubt that. These people (players)
look at themselves as top tear earners and elites among society. For a very long time they were at the top echelon of earners. They want to buy the best cars and the most expensive homes. With that being said, the elites of the world have more then doubled their earnings in the last year. A nice mansion in Florida, or the other locations that these elite tend to buy homes, have gone up by 40 to 50% over the last two years. Inflation is killing all of us, but with the rich getting extremely richer on top of it. This a fax the middle class elite drastically, like it affects the middle class and the rest of the country. These players want everything they could possibly get. $10 million today was $6 million in 2019. Everything as we know has changed.
I'm doubting his ability to put off the huge payday for long.

This is not an area where you mess around. Get cute at other positions, not key defensive staples like CB1. Bill is more than smart enough to know that there's a difference between Moneyball and Miserball. And that Miserball will mean you're leaking too much talent to stay competitive longterm.

So what? The first year of the Contract is almost always the lowest hitting because they amortize the signing bonus and reduce the salary accordingly.
n, ,
The Cap for next year is already set at 208.2. The Pats will have 24-26M.. They can do the contract I mentioned (4/$64M) with $3M salary, 20M SB and a $16M AAV. Still have plenty to add to the team including draft picks.

The Pats have a long list of Free Agents. Nick Folk, Adrian Phillips, Ju'Whaun Bentley, DMac, Hightower, Langi, Trent Brown, JC Jackson, Carl Davis, Ted Karras, Matt Slater, James White, Brandon Bolden, Brandon King, Collins, Hoyer, Ferentz, and Troy Fumegalli.

Of those Jackson is the only "MUST" sign, IMHO. Phillips, Folk, Bentley, Karras, and Slater are ones I'd love to have back but they aren't going to get a whole lot. I think another team is likely to sign Karras away. Same with Bentley and Phillips.

I could see Hightower, Slater, DMac, Hoyer and White all retiring.

Bolden, King, Ferentz, Langi, and Davis are bottom of the roster guys who should be replaced by Rookies.
Sure. They can pay him. Teams can always find ways to pay players. Look at the Lambs.

The question is should they.

Is JC really a lockdown CB who will erase another team's WR1 on a regular basis?

No, he isn't.

He's not on Ramsey's level but he's a legit CB1. Pats need to keep him. There's a significant dropoff from him and Mills who's our CB2.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back