PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where does J.C Jackson rank and what is he worth?

Sure. They can pay him. Teams can always find ways to pay players. Look at the Lambs.

The question is should they.

Is JC really a lockdown CB who will erase another team's WR1 on a regular basis?

No, he isn't.
They can do what they did to Butler when they brought in Gilmore, i.e. give the big contract to a better free agent CB, but who might that be this offseason?

They can do what they did to Butler when they brought in Gilmore, i.e. give the big contract to a better free agent CB, but who might that be this offseason?
Not sure but like we are seeing with Jonnu Smith and perhaps Nelson A, overpaying just to fill a need might not be the smartest move.

Do people really want to pay him Jalen Ramsey money?

We know he fits what the pats want to do and IMO is a top 10 #1 CB. Is he perfect and shut down every game? No of course not there have been like 15 of those in the history of the NFL. So I would offer 15 million a year for up to 5 years scheduled however he wants it. More then that I would let him walk and add to the team in other ways but a #1 CB is the second biggest game affecting player you can get after QB so they are worth paying a little extra for Especially when your QB is on a rookie pay scale.

If you don’t pay him what’s plan B?

What's hilarious is that I've said that the Patriots will reach a long term extension with him or franchise him and I've been told in no uncertain terms that he's not worth it by at least one well-informed poster.

Sorry, but He's worth the franchise tag. And he's worth a 4year/$64M contract.
I’ve been conservative on him. He’s played lights out the last few weeks. 4 yrs 64 million would be great start and I’d definitely feel good about those numbers. But 5yrs 100 million would be absurd. If he keeps stringing these games together someone just might pay him some obscene money.

I like JC a lot. Top 5 (in the league) on his best day, in the top 10 at worst. He's our #1 and we've got to keep him.

ae46e26d7b825c6220532f25651e35d7.png

If he gets 4 more INTs this year, he'll join Bill Bradley as the only players in the SB era to have 9+ back-to-back INT seasons

When Jackson gets a massive contract next offseason, he needs to send an Edible Arrangement to Woody Johnson. Jackson has five INTs this season, two were from Zach Wilson, one from Mike White, and two were from Sam Darnold. All current or former Jets QBs. The Jets are going to make Jackson a crap load of money.

Last edited:
Not sure but like we are seeing with Jonnu Smith and perhaps Nelson A, overpaying just to fill a need might not be the smartest move.

these are the dilemmas that can have long lasting impacts on the team, and one of the reasons im glad i dont have to make the decisions!

No doubt JC Jackson is a good CB but if you pay him like a Jalen Ramsey who can just be assigned to the other teams best WR all game and shut them out of the gameplan, and he can't live up to that elite status, then you really hurt your team salary cap wise

Would be tough to lose him tho, the drop off is significant after him unless they try to go to more of a zone based coverage scheme and move away from man to man

I think he's as good a CB as you can hope for, without being truly elite, yet.

I mean, he's not top 2 in the league. But I can't think of 5 CB's I'd have ahead of him. I think it's imperative that we tie him down, because we will have to replace DMac in the next couple of years, and you don't just take hits like that and keep ticking along at DB...

Sure. They can pay him. Teams can always find ways to pay players. Look at the Lambs.

The question is should they.

Is JC really a lockdown CB who will erase another team's WR1 on a regular basis?

No, he isn't.
You keep saying that, but reality says that Jackson has stepped up his game even since the start of the season.

Even Gilmore got burned at times. He was still considered a lockdown CB.. One of the best, I might add. 2018, Gilmore gave up 5 TDs, remember. I don't remember you saying that he wasn't a lockdown corner then.

Compare their Advanced Defensive Stats.

Stephon Gilmore Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

J.C. Jackson Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

No one is saying that Jackson is the single best CB in the league. What we ARE saying is that he's in the top 10 and will need to be paid like one.

If you don't think that Jackson isn't as good as Xavien Howard or Byron Jones, fine. His production says otherwise.

Show me where ANYONE is talking about paying Jackson "Jalen Ramsey Money", which is $20M /year, btw.

JC Jackson vs. Mike Evans, Amari Cooper, Mike Williams & DJ Moore:

30 targets
17 receptions
181 yards
0 TDs
1 INT
60.6 passer rating

His lone TD given up halfway through the season:

F6BA389A-9BAD-4426-9C08-EFC7B9E1F338.jpeg

CB1. Hopefully he continues to win people over against Brown & Diggs later this season.

Show me where ANYONE is talking about paying Jackson "Jalen Ramsey Money", which is $20M /year, btw.
I have no idea what people mean.

What I do see are posters saying the team needs to pay JC and keep him at all costs.

You are the only one who has authored specifics.

I think your proposal is low for what he'll get on the market.

You keep saying that, but reality says that Jackson has stepped up his game even since the start of the season.

Even Gilmore got burned at times. He was still considered a lockdown CB.. One of the best, I might add. 2018, Gilmore gave up 5 TDs, remember. I don't remember you saying that he wasn't a lockdown corner then.

Compare their Advanced Defensive Stats.

Stephon Gilmore Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

J.C. Jackson Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

No one is saying that Jackson is the single best CB in the league. What we ARE saying is that he's in the top 10 and will need to be paid like one.

If you don't think that Jackson isn't as good as Xavien Howard or Byron Jones, fine. His production says otherwise.

There is no comparison to 2021 JC to 2019 Gilmore.

I don't believe I made any comments about Gilmore one way or the other. He was in 2019 and the end of 2018.

I don't know if JC Jackson is a true #1 or not. I do know that Bill knows CBs and has kept a #1 on the roster more often than not. I trust that if Bill thinks he's a #1 he'll pay him and keep him. I am definitely willing to give Bill the benefit of the doubt when it comes to #1 CBs.

Average is 5y $91m $18.2m aav and $61.3m guarantees.

That is lockdown CB money.

Do people want to pay JC that?

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 12.02.46 PM.png

There is no comparison to 2021 JC to 2019 Gilmore.

I don't believe I made any comments about Gilmore one way or the other. He was in 2019 and the end of 2018.

I never said there was a comparison of 2021 JC to 2019 Gilmore. I was only pointing out the 2018 Gilmore who gave up 5 TDs.

You've made comments claiming that JC isn't a shutdown corner. I put up two OTHER guys who ARE considered to be "Shutdown" corners in Howard and Jones. And JC compares favorably to them.. And you've ignored the fact that no one has said to pay Jackson Ramsey money of $20M. I stated 4/64 (which is $16M AAV) that included a 20M signing bonus.

This idea that you have that Jackson isn't a top 10 CB is fallacy on your part.. And you are dancing around or outright ignoring facts that others are mentioning.

Average is 5y $91m $18.2m aav and $61.3m guarantees.

That is lockdown CB money.

Do people want to pay JC that?

View attachment 37379
Why not, as long as his performance continues to show he is worth it.

so far it seems he does. INT leader since he‘s been playing. Opposing stats show he is definitely top 5 in the league. He is what his record says he is, not what fans project on him.

He doesn't have to be a 'shut down' corner to be valuable. Those are so rare in this league where the passing rules favor the offense. Right now JC Jackson is worth #1 CB money and he plays like a legit #1 CB. Since we shipped off Gilmore for a freaking 6th round pick, BB doesn't have much choice except to PAY JC Jackson. The only alternative is to go to free agency and pay another CB we don't know as well who hasn't been in our system yet, top dollar. We have already seen BB's frequent swing and misses in the draft when going for defensive backs. Just thank your lucky stars we hit on Jackson and pay to keep the talent you already have in the fold.

Interesting reading on JC Jackson follows. Make up your own mind.

Article: How the Patriots managed to acquire JC Jackson as a UDFA.

Article: Why JC Jackson should be Patriot's priority.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back