PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where’s Josh McDaniels fall within all of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really blame the coaches, Belichick and McDaniels included, for this ****show on offense.

I entirely blame the FO, aka Belichick the GM. I don't think anyone could scheme their way to success with this personnel.

On defense I don't really blame anyone, since COVID opt-outs kinda messed that whole depth chart up.

It also doesn't say a lot for Caserio. Maybe bring in some consultants like Reese or Dimitroff or Pioli just for a little consulting help

I said it somewhere else already but two games in a row where one half of the field is just ignored sticks out a lot.

Either they are giving him half field reads to simplify things -- something they also did for JG when he started -- but then you gotta wonder why they are never flipping the side. Alternatively -- more likely -- there is something physical going on with Cam. He started last week's game against the Broncos with 11 out of 12 completed passes and since then has totally fallen apart for the next six consecutive quarters.

Personally at this point I also think his mistakes are haunting him mentally to the point where he becomes indecisive and more likely to go for the big play the same way a gambler chases after lost money. Given that BB didn't even flinch when asked if Cam would start next week I guess he looked a lot better in those 2 practices they had this week.

Anyway to connect this back to McDaniels.. my personal take is that they need to just double down on what they have been doing well which is running the ball. Stop trying to balance things for a while and just go into the game with the goal to run the ball. Add in a handful of play action shots, bootlegs, screens and maybe the occasional drop back to get the offense and their QB into a rhythm.

This should also help optimizing the little practice time they have each week. I get that some people are tired of hearing about it but they essentially had 4-5 actual practices in the entire month of October. That is the equivalent of one week of camp and close to what a normal week looked like in pre COVID times. For a team that doesn't rely on raw talent but game planning, situational football and execution this hits much harder.

But we are here now and nothing about this will change, so either they need to adjust their approach and abandon those virtual sessions on Wednesdays and add another proper practice day or simplify their gameplans to a point where 2 days on the field during the week are enough.

Whatever they have been doing in October -- when the facilities were actually open -- has not worked on any level at all.

2 ideas. 1 is which WR plays on the right side? Maybe that player is terrible. Is it NKeal Harry's side? Cam could be avoiding this bust. Alternatively it could be McDaniels never flipping a play so the crappy Harry is always playing on the right side.

I said it somewhere else already but two games in a row where one half of the field is just ignored sticks out a lot.

Either they are giving him half field reads to simplify things -- something they also did for JG when he started -- but then you gotta wonder why they are never flipping the side. Alternatively -- more likely -- there is something physical going on with Cam. He started last week's game against the Broncos with 11 out of 12 completed passes and since then has totally fallen apart for the next six consecutive quarters.

Personally at this point I also think his mistakes are haunting him mentally to the point where he becomes indecisive and more likely to go for the big play the same way a gambler chases after lost money. Given that BB didn't even flinch when asked if Cam would start next week I guess he looked a lot better in those 2 practices they had this week.

Anyway to connect this back to McDaniels.. my personal take is that they need to just double down on what they have been doing well which is running the ball. Stop trying to balance things for a while and just go into the game with the goal to run the ball. Add in a handful of play action shots, bootlegs, screens and maybe the occasional drop back to get the offense and their QB into a rhythm.

This should also help optimizing the little practice time they have each week. I get that some people are tired of hearing about it but they essentially had 4-5 actual practices in the entire month of October. That is the equivalent of one week of camp and close to what a normal week looked like in pre COVID times. For a team that doesn't rely on raw talent but game planning, situational football and execution this hits much harder.

But we are here now and nothing about this will change, so either they need to adjust their approach and abandon those virtual sessions on Wednesdays and add another proper practice day or simplify their gameplans to a point where 2 days on the field during the week are enough.

Whatever they have been doing in October -- when the facilities were actually open -- has not worked on any level at all.

At what point does the inept offensive coordinator begin to take blame for this season

I have never liked Josh McDaniels whose success as an OC was directly linked to having the pleasure of coaching the greatest quarterback to ever live - Josh proved his time away in Denver that he could not coach himself out of a paper bag - through all the years of success I never liked McDaniels and his often predictable game plan and he is what we thought he was - overrated - I pray he leaves before or at the same time Bill decides to hang it up.

I have never liked Josh McDaniels whose success as an OC was directly linked to having the pleasure of coaching the greatest quarterback to ever live - Josh proved his time away in Denver that he could not coach himself out of a paper bag - through all the years of success I never liked McDaniels and his often predictable game plan and he is what we thought he was - overrated - I pray he leaves before or at the same time Bill decides to hang it up.

Wait till he takes over the team when Belichick retires. Sports is cyclical. We've been crazy successful for the past 19 years. It's about to get ugly and Josh is gonna lead the way once Belichick retires.:p

Wait till he takes over the team when Belichick retires. Sports is cyclical. We've been crazy successful for the past 19 years. It's about to get ugly and Josh is gonna lead the way once Belichick retires.:p
I've been thru the 1990-91 years and believe me it sucked azz - this team we all knew was eventually going to drop back to the middle of the pack like all dynasties do but few saw this happening this fast - the team had time to make plans for life after Brady but it seems it was ignored too long and this is the result... I gave this year a mulligan with all the covid19 defections and I am hoping for the right draft picks and smart free agency moves with all the cap space this team has next season when expectations to be competitive and vie for a playoff berth should rise at least a little bit more.

I don’t know how you can watch a Saints game and think Josh McDaniels adds anything as an OC. They are down their 3 best receivers, Brees is severely limited with his downfield throws, and yet they still score 24+ points each week. There are a handful of plays each game where you could have any players on the offense and move the ball easily because it’s just a flat out pants-ing of a play call, schematically brilliant, like Andy Reid. They do have a great o-line and Brees is still accurate and smart, so I’m not saying the Patriots have as much to work with...but goddamn...the Saints score points almost all by running plays, screens, and really high percentage passes.

I‘ll repeat myself again as I have for the last five years: Josh isn’t a bad coordinator. He just gives you exactly the results that the players provide and doesn’t enhance it at all. He’ll suck with a sucky cast and do well with a good cast. He isn‘t an innovator like Kyle Shanahan. He isn’t an ass clown like Adam Gase, who produces much less than the sum of the parts. Although I’ve always hated Josh’s red zone ideas, tbh.

But the offense badly needs a total rebuild. Utter confusion about who the hell fits into the system and no way to draft WRs. Frankly I think it’s overcomplicated as so many offenses are succeeding now without these concepts. Start it from the ground floor with someone else...football concepts evolve. The Patriots claim to use a continuous improvement philosophy, and I have no idea how their offensive philosophy as it relates to the scouting and acquisition of skill players has not been deemed a failure.

Last edited:
I've been thru the 1990-91 years and believe me it sucked azz - this team we all knew was eventually going to drop back to the middle of the pack like all dynasties do but few saw this happening this fast - the team had time to make plans for life after Brady but it seems it was ignored too long and this is the result... I gave this year a mulligan with all the covid19 defections and I am hoping for the right draft picks and smart free agency moves with all the cap space this team has next season when expectations to be competitive and vie for a playoff berth should rise at least a little bit more.

Jimmy G was the plan after Brady but the timing was off.

Also started watching the Pats in the Hugh Millen era. It did suck.

Jimmy G was the plan after Brady but the timing was off.

Also started watching the Pats in the Hugh Millen era. It did suck.
Had Jimmy G started and Brady traded that year the team probably does not win that 6th title that year - the hard question here is would you have traded that SB championship in for an unproven but very talented youngster in Jimmy G at that time and have a decent QB take over the reigns for 3+ more years at least ? - I find it hard to say yes since SBs are not easy to get in let alone win

I love Belichick but he's almost 70 years old and I'm mortified if McDaniels is next in line. McDaniels has been nothing without Tom Brady. Think Barry Switzer or Norv Turner after Jimmy Johnson. Actually way worse than that.
Imo he’s more likely to leave with Caserio than become BBs heir apparent. My top contenders are 1 of our 2 DCs (Mayo, lil BB) or convincing Flores to leave Miami (obviously tougher to pull off and more expensive but crazier things have happened.)

I’ll say this for Josh. In his 2 years in denver his offensive skill players drafted were ok. Obviously he’s remembered for taking Tebow R1 which was a mistake but the two wrs taken that year turned out to be pretty good (thomas, decker). Moreno was a solid back as well.

Excellent post. Even more telling than the Denver debacle is he was then the St Louis Rams coordinator. That year in 2011 the Rams had the league's worst offense. Ranked last in points 32/32. Also last in TE receptions (sound familiar?). He then ran back to New England. McDaniels is nothing without Brady. Without Brady he was terrible 3 times including now.

Last edited:
Idea for a goal line play. Who could stop this? Spread 3 receivers wide to get defenders away from the line of scrimmage. Fake hand off to Damien Harris in one direction. Newton option to either pass or run. Defense has to bite on the Harris play action. How would this not be extremely difficult to stop ?? They haven't even tried it. When's the last time Josh even called play action at goal line.

Josh has his clown moments. This along with taping other teams practices.

Josh has his clown moments. This along with taping other teams practices.

And also running league-worst offenses when he doesn't have Brady in St Louis, Denver and now here.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
And also running league-worst offenses when he doesn't have Brady in St Louis, Denver and now here.

Honestly I'm disappointed in what McDaniels has given us this year. That's on him.

Post Cam signing I've been defending the lack of receiver talent saying this is not Brady's offense anymore and not to worry about it. I said that because I really believed Josh and Bill were about to spring on the league a revolutionary offense Ravens style utilizing Cam's big arm and legs and our backs as a run threat that I believe the league still can't defend all that well. It was exciting to think about the possibilities.

Instead...for whatever reason it seems we're still seeing the Brady offense with all its talent deficiency in its full glory and a guy who is the worst possible fit in such an offense is thrown in there to make it work. Not at all what I expected. What is Josh doing?

Maybe with Harris's arrival and breakout we'll see something change but I doubt it at this point.

Honestly I'm disappointed in what McDaniels has given us this year. That's on him.

Post Cam signing I've been defending the lack of receiver talent saying this is not Brady's offense anymore and not to worry about it. I said that because I really believed Josh and Bill were about to spring on the league a revolutionary offense Ravens style utilizing Cam's big arm and legs and our backs as a run threat that I believe the league still can't defend all that well. It was exciting to think about the possibilities.

Instead...for whatever reason it seems we're still seeing the Brady offense with all its talent deficiency in its full glory and a guy who is the worst possible fit in such an offense is thrown in there to make it work. Not at all what I expected. What is Josh doing?

Maybe with Harris's arrival and breakout we'll see something change but I doubt it at this point.

Yes we should be running 40 times a game and looking a bit like Baltimore. They can't stop Harris. Our OLine is good at run blocking. Cam is the greatest running QB ever. How about some RPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes