PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where’s Josh McDaniels fall within all of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we should be running 40 times a game and looking a bit like Baltimore. They can't stop Harris. Our OLine is good at run blocking. Cam is the greatest running QB ever. How about some RPO

All I know is that, given the current state of our "weapons," I wouldn't be using too many 3-WR sets, if any...I would rather see some Old School 31- (3 RBs/1 TE) or even 30-personnel groupings until the defense proves that it can stop us...

This is a fake excuse because he's been known to call crap plays like this on 3rd and long even when Brady and Gronk were here.

All I know is that, given the current state of our "weapons," I wouldn't be using too many 3-WR sets, if any...I would rather see some Old School 31- (3 RBs/1 TE) or even 30-personnel groupings until the defense proves that it can stop us...

Absolutely. Run 40 times a game. We have no business using 3 WR. Too bad McD only works one way.

McD didn't fare too badly in 2008...8th in the league in points (don't know how many of those were scored by the defense/STs) - only 9 points behind the 5th-highest team - and if Cassel hits Gaffney in Indy, then we're the #3 seed...but likely hosting Baltimore...

Last edited:
McD didn't fare too badly in 2008...8th in the league in points (don't know how many of those were scored by the defense/STs) - only 9 behind the 5th-highest team - and if Cassel hits Gaffney in Indy, then we're the #3 seed...but likely hosting Baltimore...
True but that team had Randy Moss and Welker and a loaded defense. Basically the undefeated team from the year prior. I wonder now if Cassel was actually really good (I remember Tennessee was going to draft him before we did) and McD got credit but Cassel himself was actually good.

Good post by jmt but it shows how totally inept the OC is at developing players. McDaniels is nothing without Tom Brady. He was also terrible in St Louis and Denver.

//

Comparing 2020 TEs to the 2019 group.

2020 Ranking - 2019 Ranking
1.) Ryan Izzo -------- Ben Watson
2.) Dalton Keene ---- Matt LaCosse
3.) TBD (zero stats) -- Ryan Izzo

The Pats have gone from bad to atrocious at Tight End. On Monday night they will probably be using an undrafted defensive lineman at the position, who played some TE in college (17 receptions in four years). The position has produced ten receptions for 122 yards and zero TD in seven games. It's never a good thing when your #3 option on a bad unit is elevated to starter.

Wide Receiver
Another topic that has been the wrath of armchair GMs this season - but rightfully so.

2020 Ranking --- 2019 Ranking
(Slot) Isaiah Ford -- Julian Edelman
1.) Damiere Byrd -- Phillip Dorsett
2.) N'Keal Harry --- Josh Gordon
3.) Jakobi Meyers - Mohammed Sanu
4.) Isaiah Zuber --- Jakobi Meyers
5.) Gunner Olszewski - N'Keal Harry

And another position that has gone from bad to atrocious. How can this group possibly be considered to be an improvement over 2019?

It is so hard for mcdaniels to call plays when his qb’s are turnover machines, none of our wide receivers or tight ends are nfl calibre players and our offensive line is playing musical chairs because of injuries every single week!

ps; has anybody ever watched Bentley try to tackle? Our run defense is beyond putrid!

It is so hard for mcdaniels to call plays when his qb’s are turnover machines, none of our wide receivers or tight ends are nfl calibre players and our offensive line is playing musical chairs because of injuries every single week!

ps; has anybody ever watched Bentley try to tackle? Our run defense is beyond putrid!
Yeah I was hoping that JaWrong would actually play tonight for that very reason...His massive Suckitude brings us closer to Trevah...

Classic Josh McDaniels today. Texans have the league worst run defense in the entire league, ranked 32nd, give up 170 yards a game. We have a great OLine and RB. So what do we do? Only 11 carries by Damien Harris all game. And still zero involvement of any tight ends. And Meyers only targeted 3 times.

on that last series, it is 3rd and 4 yards to go. Four down territory! How do you not run twice to get that first down? Atrocious play calling in the end. I was very disappointed.

He’s probably way down the list in terms of places to blame, but he’s not having a good season either.

Gotta figure out that when your ol is having maybe it’s worst outing of the year these slow developing fake reverses are not a good idea.

My bigggest problem is why is cam not being utilized as a runner more. He’s obviously not a strong in the pocket passer so if you’re not exploiting that runnng skill you’re severely limiting the offense.

Am I looking at this right? We've only drawn one defensive pass interference all year?

He had the tall task of functioning an offense post-TB12, and eyes rightfully should have been on him going into this year. So far he hasn’t been able to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. Is he putting this team in a position to make the best use of players and “put them in the best position to succeed”?—or is there something else there?

So far he looks like an OC who’s only as good as his players on a given day. I wouldn’t think much if you didn’t know who he was blessed to coach under at QB previously.

WTF do you know what you said? I hope so!
Let me restate; you can't make chicken salad out of chicken schitt. What do you expect him to do with what the Pats have for players. Cam isn't the guy, he has proven that through today.

Josh can leave for all I care. I defended him many times , but after seeing how he has called games this season, I am done with him. Today he was atrocious and his use of personnel is mind boggling . He should have used Jacobi and Harris properly weeks ago . And today he ignored them again for large stretches!! His ego is bigger than Bill’s if that’s possible !!! We need new blood and a new set of eyes . I miss Charlie Wise so much, he was the best !

Josh can leave for all I care. I defended him many times , but after seeing how he has called games this season, I am done with him. Today he was atrocious and his use of personnel is mind boggling . He should have used Jacobi and Harris properly weeks ago . And today he ignored them again for large stretches!! His ego is bigger than Bill’s if that’s possible !!! We need new blood and a new set of eyes . I miss Charlie Wise so much, he was the best !

He's not the right OC for us. He is stubborn and forces a spread WR offense. But our personnel is strong to run, at OLine and RB and QB. He repeatedly forces plays to NKeal Harry since that's his guy. Totally didn't play Damien Harris or Meyers until Harry/Sony were on IR and he was forced to use them. Still has zero clue or intention to develop the rookie tight ends. We need a new OC.

Last edited:
McD has a good portion of the offensive play, you can't tell all the WR/TE on the other 31 teams are HoF, some of our WR/TEs don't even see a target while other OC with maybe even more pedestrian players make their players look like they are HoF, so yes its also on McD play calling and offensive plan.

However you can't blame him for Cam having poor mechanics and not seeing the field (as soon as there is pressure on him, he stops the progression down field, while other QB like Wilson, Mahomes etc. still avoid pressure but keep focused on whats happening on the field and see their WR/TE, Cam just runs like a headless chicken around to throw stupid INT or getting sacked Jete-like)

The thing for OC is, to design the plays for the players you have and play to their strengths, not making them do what they are not capable to do because you stick to your plays you have had with a complete different set of skill players few years ago...its called adjustments.
McD is overrated as an OC and has totally been exposed without Brady here....he has never been able to make adjustments when we were pretty loaded offensively and is probably one of the most predictable coaches in history....

Yesterday's loss has exposed the major flaws that exist on this team. It is so easy to blame one guy for everything. But its not just one guy.
The overall talent on this team is flawed. How can they fix it? They need a talent upgrade on both sides of the ball.
You are right talent is one problem....but as OC I’m sure he has some say in the draft for offensive personnel...came into season once again with no decent TE and WR and drafted horribly...Had Harris just sitting on bench all last year and start of this....can’t find any use for a player like JJ Taylor.....I’d be ecstatic if he left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes