PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What trade moves should the Patriots make before the deadline?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What should the Patriots do before the trade deadline?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a fan forum Francis where a thread was made about possible trades. What the hell are we supposed to talk about in this thread?
Fair enough. I guess I just am sick of the "we'll trade all our picks for a division 3 DB". It's been done to death.

Trade Thuney and Gilmore for sure. I'd look at Burkhead and or White as well. Gut the roster for draft picks and sink like a rock. 2 years of rebuilding should be enough. They need to nail the QB though.

I propose we keep a few foundational guys. Like in 2000 when Belichick inherited a disastrous cap situation but stalwarts like McGinest, Bruschi, Ty Law, Milloy were kept on. Need a blend of core foundational guys while overhauling everything else.

Trade Gilmore to the highest bidder
Ask White what he wants to do (IR, trade, etc.)
Ask Edelman what he wants to do (IR, trade, etc.)
Gilmore should be traded before his stock falls even more. He has been shaky to this point in the season. I don't think White should be traded.

I don't think Gilmore will fetch a 1st at this point. I think he may still command a 2nd. I love Thuney and want to see him remain, but that would be too much tied up at G... wish they'd have not paid Mason so much (though that's hindsight).

That was a good one. If you're going to take a DB, take the obvious one that was rated higher and who's father played in the NFL (Antoine Winfield Jr.) He's made quite a few plays as a rookie so far.
Dugger has made plays. He's also bigger and more explosive than Winfield (about 4" taller, 15 lb heavier, 6" more VJ and 10" more on the broad jump), and only slightly slower on the 40 (4.49 vs. 4.45).

Trade Gilmore and Thuney. Feel out the market to see if a hobbled Edelman has any value. Don’t spend any draft capital on WRs. Wait till next year.

in a perfect world we’d tank for Lawrence but I don’t see us beating out the Jets or Falcons. Anyone with an eye on college excited about any other QB prospects in next year’s draft?

If a very good QB becomes available via free agency, sign them with the bountiful cap space.

Outside of QB, which needs to be figured out, this team needs to stop the run and get athletic talent on offense.

Seems some interior DL talent, an athletic LB for the D, and any combination of talented/athletic WRs, RBs, and TEs is the answer on offense.

Going to need to lean on the signing of some prime FAs, and that’s an area BB has the best track record with.
A new QB is not going to make big difference if WR TE can not consistently get open....why we are not going back to the Cassel/2001 Brady quick slant, screen...short yardage high percentage completion offense right now is very confusing. Never liked McD but he has been downright abysmal this year

Tell McDaniels to stay home on draft scouting and on draft day
BB too.....honestly we need someone else picking the groceries going forward....BB draft record is pretty poor

If we're going to be realistic, no move(s) are going to sway this team's chances this year.
Exactly ...no moves are going to improve us this year....so we should trade our top players and pick up pieces to rebuild starting next season...and hopefully have better drafts and FA pickups going forward

No point trading anyone away especially Thuney or Gilmore.

Thuney is someone to built around and moving your CB1 for no reason other than getting a lottery ticket that might or might not work out is self sabotage. Especially because there is no cap pressure to do any of it. Unless there is an unlikely godfather offer it is not worth it.

Nothing that happened in the last two weeks changed my mind about trading for players with 2-3 years deals whose teams -- thanks to COVID -- are in sell mode to get under the cap.

The only type of trade to avoid after how the last two games went are one year rentals unless its for marginal cost like a pick switch or a 5th/6th/7th and wouldn't cost too much in cap assets.

Last edited:
I also think trading Thuney or Gilmore ( our one of the most reliable players ) is an absurd. We want a legit TE or WR but have no guarantee we will find them because of the trade ( QBs issues,a new, complicated system,). All in all it is a risky move IMO.
We have got very tough schedule and it is time to answer the question: what do we expect from this team? With no doubt we aren't a contender anymore,it seems the playoffs spot is a big "if" as well. It is time to be patient with no nervous moves like trading our best players. Let's find out next games who is productive and useful for the team and decide who are our future players to build the team around them.

Just sell for draft picks

I don't really care as long as the Patriots don't start facilitating salary dumps for other teams. A Gilmore trade makes sense if the value is there (just like it did at a 0-0 record), but I have a really hard time seeing anybody taking on Thuney's remaining contract. There's just not enough cap space around the NFL for a trade like that, and the teams that desperately need offensive line help need multiple upgrades, not just one.

Only trades this team should make is getting picks for Gilmore and or Thuney. No point in trading for a WR, there’s so many holes on this team no way you can fill it all via trades.

No way this team is a legit contender this year, they are what they are, a 5 maybe 6 win team.
I think they are a 4 win team. They'll only win the two Jet games. The rest are losses.

I would rather lose than get caught in a 7-9 or 9-7 world where we sticking with players who are just not talented enough.

I would much rather purge, reset, and rebuild.

We need a franchise QB, and players who actually have skill at WR, RB, & WR.

I have no doubt combined out RB, WR, & TE are the “worse in the NFL” and it is not even close.

The WR & TE are clearly each the worse in the NFL & our RB group is no better than 30th based on talent.

If i should decide between Thuney and Gilmore NOW i keep Thuney

If we can get value I would trade anyone who has one (next year) or less years to go. It's time for the young guys (Asiasi, Keene, Uche) to play and see how it goes.

It kills me that we had our #3 in the upcoming draft stolen but it is time to clear out those who aren't talented enough, will want too much money or are past the peak.

It's a strong QB draft - very possibly past the Top 3. We can likely get a good QB and load up elsewhere if we accumulate picks.

Hopefully Bill understands that last year we were running on fumes and we don't even have fumes anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back