PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What trade moves should the Patriots make before the deadline?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What should the Patriots do before the trade deadline?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, the Pats have shopped Gilmore twice in the off season. I knew of one, but not twice.

Honestly, at this point, I would try to get Darnold. I think the kid can play. He just caught a disease that’s called the Jets!!

Honestly, at this point, I would try to get Darnold. I think the kid can play. He just caught a disease that’s called the Jets!!
The Jets aren't going to trade Darnold unless they decide to can Gase 1st, imho.
I'd rather go with Alex Smith or Case Keenum in the interim than Darnold..

The Jets aren't going to trade Darnold unless they decide to can Gase 1st, imho.
I'd rather go with Alex Smith or Case Keenum in the interim than Darnold..

the jets are tanking to get Lawrence they are done with Darnold. Why would I want to go with Smith or Keenum. They can’t play. At least Darnold is young and has potential.

Edit: I will concede that I would be an off-season trade

Listen there’s like two starting QB in the league drafted later than Stidham and only two more that are drafted in the same round or later. Over 84% of the starting QB’s in the league are 1st or 2nd rounders.

Stidham at best has like a sub 5% chance of being the guy and it’s probably lower based on literally everything we’ve seen of him in real games. You want to buffer this with guys that probably have an at best a sub 1% shot historically of being a real franchise QB. And I’m generous at that.

Bring in someone like Rivers or Dalton if you want some baseline of competition. Stidham ain’t it and some undrafted nobody isn’t either.

That’s not a strategy. That’s refusing to face reality and hoping for a miracle to avoid the hard work it identifying someone in a draft and spending good capital not knowing if they will pan out. This team should be doing nothing but drafting round 1 or 2 QB’s each draft until we hit on one.
If you play Stidham to finish this season and take a look at developmental guys, now you will know for sure what you need to draft or if you can cut Jarrett. Stidham looks poor in a small sample size, he also has never practice as a starter this year or started a game ever. Every time he has come in this season it's been with a big deficit. I agree he's probably not the answer, better to be sure now.

As far as players being drafted late, the majority of players in the HOF would have gone undrafted... but back in their day the draft lasted 13 rounds... now it's seven. There are nearly 500 undrafted players currently in the NFL, that's almost a third of the NFL. Ta'amu for example only played two years of college after playing in junior college, his production and accuracy was good. He was the best QB in the XFL and has size and strength. In the NFL you turn over every rock for talent, then you draft competition for him in the first round and let them battle for the start. If Stidham sucks I'd rather start the year next season with a vet like Dalton or Rivers, Ta'amu and a #1 draft pick. Pretty simple.

the jets are tanking to get Lawrence they are done with Darnold. Why would I want to go with Smith or Keenum. They can’t play. At least Darnold is young and has potential.

Edit: I will concede that I would be an off-season trade
I don’t think the Jets are tanking, look at their schedule, they have no chance of winning 2 games. They couldn’t win a few games if they really wanted to.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
If Minshew was good he’d still be a Jaguar and have no chance at getting here. You are advocating for hoping and wishing on obvious failures turning into Cinderella so that you can avoid a rebuild
Minshew is good and they're not losing games because of him, the team sucks.

We currently have the 11th or 12th pick in the draft.

Another 10 loses gets should get us close to the top pick. Fortunately we have the auburn turnover master twins at qb!!!!

hello Lawrence, welcome to foxboro!

Another 10 loses gets should get us close to the top pick. Fortunately we have the auburn turnover master twins at qb!!!!

Or BB trades back into the 2nd round. lol

You really see 10 losses?

You really see 10 losses?
November 11:00 p.m.at Buffalo BillsLLCBS
9November 98:15 p.m.at New York JetsWMetLife StadiumESPN
10November 158:20 p.m.Baltimore RavensLGillette StadiumNBC
11November 221:00 p.m.at Houston TexansLNRG StadiumCBS
12November 291:00 p.m.Arizona CardinalsLGillette StadiumFox
13December 64:25 p.m.at Los Angeles ChargersLSoFi StadiumCBS
14December 108:20 p.m.at Los Angeles RamsLSoFi StadiumFox/NFLN/
Amazon Prime
15December 201:00 p.m.at Miami DolphinsLHard Rock StadiumCBS
16December 288:15 p.m.Buffalo BillsLGillette StadiumESPN
17January 31:00 p.m.New York JetsWGillette Stadium

That’s how I see it going down the rest of the way. A 4-12 season.

Which really at that point..... again like I said, beating the Jets hurts you

Trade Gilmore. The whole league knows our hands are tied and the fact that we tried shopping him twice now hurts us even more. The closer we get to the deadline the less of a return we will get. People are expecting a first? No way.. L 2nd and perhaps a throw in 6th/7th..unless a SB contender loses a starting corner that cripples their chances, which would tilt things back into Pats favor.

If you can grab a WR with a decent ceiling who is stuffed down a depth chart take a shot. At this point with this OC I have little faith we can draft and develop a WR. Track record isn't great in that respect.

Listen there’s like two starting QB in the league drafted later than Stidham and only two more that are drafted in the same round or later. Over 84% of the starting QB’s in the league are 1st or 2nd rounders.

Stidham at best has like a sub 5% chance of being the guy and it’s probably lower based on literally everything we’ve seen of him in real games. You want to buffer this with guys that probably have an at best a sub 1% shot historically of being a real franchise QB. And I’m generous at that.

Bring in someone like Rivers or Dalton if you want some baseline of competition. Stidham ain’t it and some undrafted nobody isn’t either.

That’s not a strategy. That’s refusing to face reality and hoping for a miracle to avoid the hard work it identifying someone in a draft and spending good capital not knowing if they will pan out. This team should be doing nothing but drafting round 1 or 2 QB’s each draft until we hit on one.
Does BB have the stomach to start again with a rookie? For some reason I see us being more likely to bring in vets via FA for both the QB/WR positions and simply use our higher draft position to get better defensive players which we all know is Bills preference in the higher rounds. This would be a huge mistake in my eyes given we'll likely be in a division with Allen, Tua and Lawrence for the next 10 years, we need that franchise guy not Matt Ryan.

Even if they had the first pick in the draft I am not sure why people would assume they'd take a QB with that. Historically the first QB taken is not more successful than others around the top 12.

The most likely scenario is that at top 3 draft pick would turn into multiple first and second rounders over the next couple of years through a series of trades down.

Even if they had the first pick in the draft I am not sure why people would assume they'd take a QB with that. Historically the first QB taken is not more successful than others around the top 12.

The most likely scenario is that at top 3 draft pick would turn into multiple first and second rounders over the next couple of years through a series of trades down.

If you are 1st overall you have to take Lawrence. The QB is the most important piece in a team. if you take Lawrence you are set for 10-15 years.

imo, it is easier to make average or below average skill position player look good with a great QB than to make an average or below average QB look good with great skill position player.

what you say is like the colts trading down their first instead of drafting Luck and imo that is crazy.

Edit: Lawrence is a bluechip prospect we are not talking about Mayfield here because if we were I would agree with you.

Last edited:
Lets face it.
a mixture of low cap space at start of year, FA losses, Brady and opt outs has this team taking the standing 8 count.

You'd have to think team is ending up with a top 10 pick. Forgetting what the team does with the current roster and generating picks for next season a couple of universal truths need to be addressed.
1. Talent evaluation and picking HAS to improve. No point in getting a top 10 pick and getting a dud. Granted I think the team would probably create more picks from it. which brings me to the next point.
2. Gutting the team to bring in rookies isn't a Bill move either. He loves his veteran leaders. Thats why I'm thinking Gilmore stays and Thuney is tagged into 2021. Sure, you think Cannon and Chung are probably cap casualties to free up even more money.
I think this is a slow rebuild. Cam looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Talent in front 7 and WR and TE is horrendous too. Two to three years. But the scouting dept either needs a big change or need to be listened to if they're not the problem.

If you are 1st overall you have to take Lawrence. The QB is the most important piece in a team. if you take Lawrence you are set for 10-15 years.

Says who ?

Who was the most recent QB who was taken first -- not necessarily 1st pick but the first QB to go -- and actually fulfilled those expectations ?

Kyler and Burrow have had a nice start but that's too early to tell.

Mayfield has not so far. Trubisky certainly hasn't. Goff ? Winston ? If we include the second picks we can add Wentz and Mariota to the this list of meh.

Luck was the closest to fulfilling his promise and that was 9 years (!!) ago.

The point is that you can't assume that anyone will definitely work out especially not in high variance positions like QB. I am not advocating to do either of the two -- that is offseason talk -- but lets not pretend anything in relation to the draft is a "you are set" situation as it involves a lot of uncertainty. There is a sensible discussion to be had about trading down and facilitating a rebuild of the rest of the team.

The lynchpin is how a team feels about a QB prospect relative to others available in the draft. And just because the media and some twitter folks have jerk off sessions about one in particular it doesn't automatically follow that a teams evaluation will be the same. Maybe internally the gap between Lawrence and whoever ends up being QB2 is much smaller than the value you'd get from trading down.

We will see. But being so dogmatic about the QB1 prospect has often not worked out as spectacularly as people think.

Last edited:
Says who ?

Who was the most recent QB who was taken first -- not necessarily 1st pick but the first QB to go -- and actually fulfilled those expectations ?

Kyler and Burrow have had a nice start but that's too early to tell.

Mayfield has not so far. Trubisky certainly hasn't. Goff ? Winston ? If we include the second picks we can add Wentz and Mariota to the this list of meh.

Luck was the closest to fulfilling his promise and that was 9 years (!!) ago.

The point is that you can't assume that anyone will definitely work out especially not in high variance positions like QB. I am not advocating to do either of the two -- that is offseason talk -- but lets not pretend anything in relation to the draft is a "you are set" situation as it involves a lot of uncertainty. There is a sensible discussion to be had about trading down and facilitating a rebuild of the rest of the team.

The lynchpin is how a team feels about a QB prospect relative to others available in the draft. And just because the media and some twitter folks have jerk off sessions about one in particular it doesn't automatically follow that a teams evaluation will be the same. Maybe internally the gap between Lawrence and whoever ends up being QB2 is much smaller than the value you'd get from trading down.

We will see. But being so dogmatic about the QB1 prospect has often not worked out as spectacularly as people think.
Zero risks doesn’t exists. So following your premise we should stop drafting in the first round even in the second because chances are existing that a player will not turn in a first ballot hall of famer.

there was a chance Manning could not have it maybe the colts should have also trade their first round pick that year. You have trust issues or you want the Patriots to find again a hall of fame QB in the 6th round.

Mayfield was not projected at the beginning to be the 1st pick. There was questions about him as well as with trubisky and Murray.

I think the consensus around football is that Lawrence is the next great thing like Burrow.

so yeah there is risk but I think the gain far out weight the risk. The cardinals took a bigger risk drafting Murray than the team that will select lawrence and that risk will pay for them, they are set for thé next 10-15 years.

if the patriots draft scared like you suggest and take the safe approach in the draft they will stay a middling to bad teams in the futur.

what you suggest is playing half speed because there is a risk that you can be injured. You go nowhere like that. It is a loser mentality in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents