PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"What if" scenarios during the last 24 years

Of course not, he only wanted to draft/sign guys he liked, and wanted to he around. I'm firmly convinced if AB kept his cool for at least that season we win another championship.
I think it changed at some point, because he certainly took some questionable guys early, but sometime around the second three wins, he altered the approach to what you outline.

I am not convinced that AB was the answer. He could have been much earlier in his career. I guess that's another what if. What if Burfict never took AB's head off?

Closer to the present, what would have happened if Belichick had sprung for the extra million and signed DeAndre Hopkins? I'd say it would have been 50:50 that Bill would still have been here and Mac would still be our QB. Not saying that would have been a better outcome in the long term though.

I think it changed at some point, because he certainly took some questionable guys early, but sometime around the second three wins, he altered the approach to what you outline.

I am not convinced that AB was the answer. He could have been much earlier in his career. I guess that's another what if. What if Burfict never took AB's head off?
AB was still playing at a high level when he fell to us.. his play on the field was undeniable it was everything else off of it as well all know. He immediately showed in 1 game what he would be for Brady and the offense. Even Jules said he was wowed of his elite speed, route running abilities. He stays on that team I'm fully convinced we get to another Lombardi. He would have gotten even more comfortable in the offense as the season went on.

AB was still playing at a high level when he fell to us.. his play on the field was undeniable it was everything else off of it as well all know. He immediately showed in 1 game what he would be for Brady and the offense. Even Jules said he was wowed of his elite speed, route running abilities. He stays on that team I'm fully convinced we get to another Lombardi. He would have gotten even more comfortable in the offense as the season went on.
I know you'll die on this hill, so I am not looking to talk you out of it, nor do I wanna go around and around. I am only saying I am not convinced he was the end all be all fix. 4 catches for 56 yards out of 8 targets. I don't think he was that juice that you do. Not Moss, not even close in my opinion. That's ok, you have yours and I got mine. It would be neat to see if he could have kept his yap shut. But if he could have, he wouldn't have been here to begin with.
Confused Jim Carrey GIF

I know you'll die on this hill, so I am not looking to talk you out of it, nor do I wanna go around and around. I am only saying I am not convinced he was the end all be all fix. 4 catches for 56 yards out of 8 targets. I don't think he was that juice that you do. Not Moss, not even close in my opinion. That's ok, you have yours and I got mine. It would be neat to see if he could have kept his yap shut. But if he could have, he wouldn't have been here to begin with.
Confused Jim Carrey GIF
I understand, and I know that you feel otherwise I'm only saying that because there was no one at WR that brung what AB did.. if you want to go a step further he was a year older in TB and still was thier best WR. So is why I said in 1 game not even starting he showed me what he would be for Brady. He keeps it together for at least that season my friend you and I are talking about 7 rings here instead of 6. What held us back in 2019 was the offense. However I won't go round and round on it.

One of the most thought of "What If's: What if the Patriots trade their 1st Round pick in the 2019 Draft (picking up an extra 2nd round pick and another future pick) and then draft D.K. Metcalf and Deebo Samuel in the 2nd Round. Then, in the 2020 Draft they draft Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman Jr. And with their remaining picks in those 2 drafts, they obtain solid contributing depth players. The ramifications of just that would have greatly changed the landscape (even if we ultimately would end up in a rebuild, we'd have more talent even though we couldn't keep all 4 WR's).

Going back further... what if Ben Dreith was a short order cook instead of an NFL referee.
It certainly would have been on NFL script to have the Patriots win in 1976.

Reactions: sb1
One of the most thought of "What If's: What if the Patriots trade their 1st Round pick in the 2019 Draft (picking up an extra 2nd round pick and another future pick) and then draft D.K. Metcalf and Deebo Samuel in the 2nd Round. Then, in the 2020 Draft they draft Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman Jr. And with their remaining picks in those 2 drafts, they obtain solid contributing depth players. The ramifications of just that would have greatly changed the landscape (even if we ultimately would end up in a rebuild, we'd have more talent even though we couldn't keep all 4 WR's).
I get this a what if game and you can play however you want but I think your getting a little too specific why just WR then we could of had Purdy too then. Or anyone.

What if the tourch wasn't passed.

I get this a what if game and you can play however you want but I think your getting a little too specific why just WR then we could of had Purdy too then. Or anyone.
I went and played what if on the 2007 SB final drive. My memory was that Tom could have take less risky throws with 3 time outs.

29 seconds: First down from the 25, he goes to Gaffney at the Giant 40. This was the one I still have a problem with. Horrible throw, so I am assuming Gaffney should have ran an in route of some type. Looks like Welker was somewhat open in the slot, up the seam. Either way, the ball goes pretty much between the two and drops. The what if I played here was what if they had a crosser, 12-15 yards deep. Then the ball gets to the 40ish, and maybe the next play can be a screen or something again shorter than a bomb to Moss.
25 second: 2nd down from the 25. Brady gets whacked. Pretty much game over here. Sacked at the 15.
19 seconds: Deep to Moss. Moss outruns Tom's arm. Too bad, he had a step.
10 seconds: repeat, but the safety is over the top. They weren't going to let that happen again.

I still get the butterflies watching it. It's so frustrating. I still feel that the addition of Moss made Brady love going to deep to Randy, but the more mature Brady later on would have taken a higher % completion on first down. I still maintain that if they win here, they maybe don't win the next three.

Would you trade perfection and only 4 rings for the 6 they ended up with? That's a tough one.

N'Keal Harry was just a WR. So was Aaron Dobson, Bethel Johnson, etc. Most of the people on here are posting quite specific names and/or positions on their "What If's" as well. That's the major point of this thread.

N'Keal Harry was just a WR. So was Aaron Dobson, Bethel Johnson, etc. Most of the people on here are posting quite specific names and/or positions on their "What If's" as well. That's the major point of this thread.
I didn't read everyone's scenarios but I thought most were moments like the tuck play.

If we are going to play it with the draft then what if we traded up for Mahomes?

I didn't read everyone's scenarios but I thought most were moments like the tuck play.

If we are going to play it with the draft then what if we traded up for Mahomes?
That would have been Nirvana!

That would have been Nirvana!
I hope we never look back and ask: What if we had actually drafted Drake Maye (or Jayden Daniels because Maye was taken with one of the first two picks) who was there at #3, instead of insert whatever move that proved to be a huge mistake?

What if Tomase’s story was true :eek:

Does Bill’s job survive that?

1). What if Edelman doesn’t get IR’d in that 2017 preseason game against DET?

2). What if Brady doesn’t get injured during the 2001 playoff game in PIT? (Remember, he was struggling mightily vs LeBeau’s fire zone blitzes all game up to that point.)

3). What if Jeremy Lane stays healthy in SB 49?

4). What would be the result of the 2015 season had we not suffered sooooooo many major injuries? That offense would be the no lower than the number #2 all time NE offense IMHO. Definitely most versatile.

5). What if Wentz stayed healthy?

6). What if BB kept Milloy and hadn’t traded for Harrison?

7). What if Cundiff makes that kick in 2011?

8). What if NE hadn’t played NYG in Week 17 during the ‘07 season?

9). What if Harper’s Muff never existed?

10). What if Roosevelt Colvin didn’t get injured in ‘07?

11). What if the many members of NE didn’t get the flu right before the 2006 AFCCG?

12). What if AB/Gordon didn’t have any issues in 2019?

13). What if there just Bill without Ernie?..

14). What if the run defense wasn’t a disaster in ‘02?

15). What if we didn’t play DEN in the ‘05 playoffs?

16). What if SB 51 wasn’t played in a dome?

17). What if Stork wasn’t tipping the snap vs DEN?

18). What if Eli Chung had gotten to Manningham a split second earlier?

19). What if McCourty was a better CB than safety/left in FA 2015?

20). What if BB calls a timeout in SB 49?

21). What if Branch hadn’t gone to SEA in ‘06?

22). What if Brady caught the pass/didn’t fumble in SB 52?

23). What if Corey Clement’s “catch” was ruled incomplete?

24). What if Jacoby Jones doesn’t have that miraculous catch in the 2012 AFCDR?

25). What if Flores was DC instead of Patricia in SB 52?

26). What if 9-11 never happened?..

Last edited:
What if wasn't called roughing the passer on Sugar Bear Hamilton?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back