PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"What if" scenarios during the last 24 years

Steve102

Any Man Who Must Say I Am The King Is No True King
PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Now that the Brady/Bill Era is behind us, and it's full on off-season, I thought it might be fun to play some what if scenarios. Some possibilities:

What if Drew never got wrecked by Mo Lewis? Is drew still the QB in 2002?

What if Asante caught the interception? Do they win? Do we feel differently about Asante? Does he feel differently about Bill?

What if they won in 2007? See below.

What if Tom never had his knee injury?

What if Wes never got benched in the playoffs?

What if Wes caught the ball?

What if Butler never got benched? That oughta be a good one.

What if Tom stayed. Does that mean Bill leaves? Who leaves as a result of the cap management?

What if JMcD stayed and coached Mac? Do they end up 4-13? Is Bill still here?

I know 2007 is the thing that must not be named, but maybe it's time now. Personally, I think if they had won that, things may have been drastically different. If they win that, do they even get to the Seattle, Atlanta and Rams super bowls? It's not hard to envision egos, money and a lack of drive setting in. What's left, after perfection? Do you stay hungry for "the next one"? Does money and contracts become a thing? I think it's possible that there's a lot of fat and happy that happen after 19-0. Certainly, guys would have taken the paydays and left. I have been to the mountain top, now I am getting paid. I think there's a real possibility that the sting of '07 and Brady's knee injury propel them to achieve success in the second half of the dynasty. I can see them winning and there's a whole lot of "screw this" going on, with there being nothing left to prove.

What say you guys?

First one that comes to mind is the Butler benching. A few of those 3rd downs are broken up, NEP win.

But the Eagles also play differently with Butler in. So maybe they find a different way to attack.

If Samuel gets the pick, how much time would the Giants have if Patriots ran it three times? Doubtful enough to do serious damage.

Going back a tad further but what if Robert Edwards didn't destroy his knee at a Pro Bowl beach flag football game.

Then maybe Edwards would help the Pats be a lot better than they were?
Then maybe Pete Carroll doesn't lose his job after the 1999 season?
Then maybe BB isn't here? Or Brady?

Now that the Brady/Bill Era is behind us, and it's full on off-season, I thought it might be fun to play some what if scenarios. Some possibilities:

What if Asante caught the interception? Do they win? Do we feel differently about Asante? Does he feel differently about Bill?

What if Tom stayed. Does that mean Bill leaves? Who leaves as a result of the cap management?

I know 2007 is the thing that must not be named, but maybe it's time now. Personally, I think if they had won that, things may have been drastically different. If they win that, do they even get to the Seattle, Atlanta and Rams super bowls? It's not hard to envision egos, money and a lack of drive setting in. What's left, after perfection? Do you stay hungry for "the next one"? Does money and contracts become a thing? I think it's possible that there's a lot of fat and happy that happen after 19-0. Certainly, guys would have taken the paydays and left. I have been to the mountain top, now I am getting paid. I think there's a real possibility that the sting of '07 and Brady's knee injury propel them to achieve success in the second half of the dynasty. I can see them winning and there's a whole lot of "screw this" going on, with there being nothing left to prove.

What say you guys?
You should have spiced things up by making this a Final Hypothetical ® :haha:

Going back a tad further but what if Robert Edwards didn't destroy his knee at a Pro Bowl beach flag football game.

Then maybe BB isn't here? Or Brady?
What if we win that Green Bay superbowl? Would Bill have been hired? Carroll?

Not as monumental as most of OP's list, but what happens in 2019 if Antonio Brown keeps his cool and Bill drafts Deebo or Metcalf or AJ Brown over N'keal Harry? Probably something good. And maybe Brady reconsiders leaving.

What if Felix Vinateiri, Custers bandmaster, died at the Little Bighorn?

I know 2007 is the thing that must not be named, but maybe it's time now. Personally, I think if they had won that, things may have been drastically different. If they win that, do they even get to the Seattle, Atlanta and Rams super bowls? It's not hard to envision egos, money and a lack of drive setting in. What's left, after perfection?
OTOH. . . . what does Roger Goodell do with "Spygate II" (the crapfest John Tomase coughed up on Super Bowl Sunday) if the Pats go 19-0?

What say you guys?

I think the Butler benching has been overblown, considering the type of defense they ran that game -- VERY loose zone. No guarantee he would've been a difference maker.

I think the Butler benching has been overblown, considering the type of defense they ran that game -- VERY loose zone. No guarantee he would've been a difference maker.
Who knows he was our best tackler and the Eagles converted a few third downs by missed tackles

Yeah.... I'm not touching that one...
Why not? Hernandez was extremely talented. At one point here in this very forum we were debating who to pay between Gronk or Hernandez

Last edited:
My two favorite "what if"s:

2008: What happens if the Pats beat the JEST in OT, which would've gotten them into the playoffs?

2009: What if Julian Edelman didn't break his arm against the Titans? At the time, he was leading all rookies in receptions.

What say you guys?
Being screwed out of the perfect season by the obvious egregious holding by Giants OLineman on the helmet catch play may well have fueled the future 3 SB wins. Bearing in mind this was the season following the bogus Spygate, it made that chip on the Patriots shoulder grow into a redwood. I know mine was that big.
Would a bit of complacency have set in after a perfect season? Possible.
So maybe a silver lining from that game being stolen from us.
But I'd still prefer the holding call been made and Pats win.

Posters and media that attended camp saw Brady was outplayed Drew, so the cord would've eventually been pulled on Drew.
They obviously win the game assuming they don't screw up running out the clock. Regardless, Samuel didn't even want to return for the 2007 season and only agreed to sign the franchise tag because Bill couldn't use the tag on him after the season. Had he caught it, maybe he changes his mind. He would've been a Pats legend and received a "key to the city".
The team was aging out, so cuts/retirements would've been inevitable.
They easily win in 2008.
That's a tough question because it was only the first drive. A turnover on the first drive does not destroy an entire game.
They most likely put the game out of reach. Wes dropped another back breaker the following year to open up the 3rd quarter against Baltimore which would've put them in their territory. They struggled badly after that.
He defends Agholor and Gilmore defends Jeffery. Butler's replacement (Rowe) gave up 10 points on the first two drives. He was quickly yanked of Jeffrey.
Both stay and retire together.
He would've been the HC. I bet he's not a happy camper right now.
What if Hernandez doesn't kill
Julian Edelman mentioned on his podcast that he may not have returned in 2013 had Hernandez and Wes still been on the team. He was low on the totem poll and was considering walking.

Hernandez was a rare talent for his size on the field. We've never seen a TE break ankles like he did. It's a shame he was a troubled man.

Take it back even further, what if Martin stays? The Jets don't sniff the AFCCG. Jacksonville has another rematch with Denver.

Having Martin or Edwards may have delayed the inevitable for Carroll, but the team was deteriorating from horrendous drafts and poor personnel moves. Letting Gash and Clay walk were idiotic.

Last edited:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back