PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happened to the defense? Was this defense ever that good this year?

Shades of 2019 and 2020. The defense just can't perform well against the top offenses. This is why I kept saying ALL offseason that our offense needed to be more dynamic so we could score more and keep up with the top offenses. Just too big of an ask to ask any defense to stop these elite offenses. Even McCourty said after the game that you can't take away everything and have to hope they can't beat with what you give them. Yesterday that was Bryant.

I actually have a lot to say about the defense, so lets goooo. Ill preface it by saying that I dont think we should make our judgements based on the last 2 games. Colts and Bills are as difficult as they come in the AFC, with the Chiefs, and there were a lot of other problems in these games. I would even say that I could see it being much worse with a worse D

1st chapter - Steve Belichick
I hate Steve Belichick in charge. I will not change my mind, unfortunetaly, as long as he and BB are together.

Seriously, how does this dynamic work? Who takes responsability if things are bad? Is Steve B. fireable? How do you criticize your son for his job? Do you do it in the same way as everyone else?

Moreover, what does Steve brings to the team? He learnt from the best, yes. But we STILL HAVE THE BEST. Im not going to indulge much here cause its pure speculation, but... What novelty, innovation does he bring to the table, having his full life inside the Patriots?

2nd chapter - DL quick thoughts

Hey Godchaux had 10 tackles once! He is great! - Says random poster.
I will say again, without fear > I DO NOT SEE this guy winning a single snap. I dont watch all his snap and maybe is a terrible coincidence, but its uncanny. His best snaps is when he goes laterally or doesnt move at all. That is not a good D-Lineman

Guy is another... er... guy who has lost a step. He isnt bad at all, but his best trait was being reliably solid. He isnt anymore.

Wise is not worth his contract. He is ok, but his snap count and ability dont match it.

Judon - Love him. Great Addition. Stud. Locker room leader. Only guy Ive ever seen in our system who doesnt need to hold the gap.

3rd chapter - New Beginnings.

Next year, we HAVE TO get new LBs. Ive said at the beginning of the season too, and I think it still holds up: Our Best LB, all year, at least on terms of consistency, has been Bentley. Kudos to him, but he aint a guy to build our LBs around. Van Noy is a bit better, but both him and HT are on the decline.

The same can be said about McCourty. I think he still got one more, high level year, but sooner rather than later, its gonna start showing too much.

JC needs to be Tagged. Him and Judon should lead this D for the new decade

On the LBs....hopefully Uche, McGrone, and Perkins will be ready to contribute. All have excellent tools that should work well. That would be a nice influx of speed, athleticism, and youth.

Of course if they get onboard, next year we'll be complaining about how their lack of experience caused them to miss assignments. LOL

Josh Allen showed why the Bills gave him a $288 million contract. Some unbelievable throws, some incredible escapes from the pocket and only one dumb throw that was dropped by our star corner. We really missed our slot corner, J Jones to cover those crossing routes from a quick wideout.

Yep , sometimes gotta just give credit where its due. Other than a couple misfires allen was magnificent yesterday. Usually you can hope for a few miscues from him but he played a great game and found a mismatch to exploit quite often. Beasleys replacement played as well, if not better than what beasley would have provided. They converted a ton of 3rd downs too from what I remembered and some 4ths.

Obviously there was the late Jackson dropped INT, but when was the other one?

He got finger tips on a ball that Allen threw over Diggs in the end zone on the same drive the idiot ref called offside instead of a false start on 4th down.

There’s a search party out for Josh Uche. There’s a hotline if anyone has tips on where he could be.

The guy just came off of IR. Let's see what he does in the next few weeks.

Shades of 2019 and 2020. The defense just can't perform well against the top offenses. This is why I kept saying ALL offseason that our offense needed to be more dynamic so we could score more and keep up with the top offenses. Just too big of an ask to ask any defense to stop these elite offenses. Even McCourty said after the game that you can't take away everything and have to hope they can't beat with what you give them. Yesterday that was Bryant.

Yesterday's defense had nothing to do with the offense. The defense couldn't stop the Bills from the first drive and never stopped them all game.

If they had a top offense yesterday, they might have won but despite of the defense, The Pats would have won in that scenario like 40-32.

And stop it. What you said it wrong. The Pats defense if it played like it played about a month ago probably was good enough to win this game yesterday. That defense put pressure on the QB with a four man rush and didn't allow the QB to have enough time to exploit the zone defense allowing receivers enough time to get open.

Yesterday showed that to run a zone defense successfully, the defense must put good pressure on the opposing QB. It had little to do with the offense. If the defense pressured Allen more and the Pats run 30 plus times, they probably would have won yesterday. The problem was the Pats gave Allen all the time in the world to throw the ball and the Pats went away from the run in the first half after the TD drive.

The guy just came off of IR. Let's see what he does in the next few weeks.
Prior to that he’s been invisible after a good start to the season.

Prior to that he’s been invisible after a good start to the season.

Including yesterday, he has only played eight games this season and several games before he was injured, they didn't play him much at all. In fact, I think he was deactivated for one of the game right before he went to IR. So maybe he was already injured before he went to IR.

He got finger tips on a ball that Allen threw over Diggs in the end zone on the same drive the idiot ref called offside instead of a false start on 4th down.

Oh ok I remember now, thanks. That wasn't a drop at all. So just the one drop then.

1st chapter - Steve Belichick
I hate Steve Belichick in charge. I will not change my mind, unfortunetaly, as long as he and BB are together.
Anybody else noticed since facegate that Steve has been hiding on the sidelines? It’s not a coincidence as Bill got rid of that distraction.
Wise is not worth his contract. He is ok, but his snap count and ability dont match it.
He’s the best defensive player on the team.

Including yesterday, he has only played eight games this season and several games before he was injured, they didn't play him much at all. In fact, I think he was deactivated for one of the game right before he went to IR. So maybe he was already injured before he went to IR.
He was my pick for breakout player after watching him in preseason. Because of that, I’m always watching him when he’s on the field for passing downs and notice when OL stop his initial attack, he doesn’t know what to do with himself. He either starts hopping around or moves where the lineman moves. Wino has the same problem. They both need to get some counter moves. Speaking of Wino. Yikes that guy has disappeared.

Uche is not on the field much because he’s horrible against the run.

Anybody else noticed since facegate that Steve has been hiding on the sidelines? It’s not a coincidence as Bill got rid of that distraction.

He’s the best defensive player on the team.
Your 1st take is as speculative as mine, but he did stop being bozo for sure

Your second take is something im interested in hearing more, why do you think that?

Your second take is something im interested in hearing more, why do you think that?
It’s an inside joke on this board I thought you’d know. It’s a reference from SNF against the Bucs where Chris Collinsworth told the world this.

It’s #1 in points allowed and #3 in takeaways. By all means go ahead and name 3 that are better. It will be interesting to see how giving up more points is better.

Patsies were the Worst ****ing Defense in the Entire ****ing League on Sunday; so as of Right Here Right Now, Every. Other. Team. has a better defense than we do.

Last edited:
Patsies were the Worst ****ing defense in the Entire ****ing League on Sunday; so as of Right Here Right Now, Every. Other. Team. has a better defense than we do.
So for example the jaguars who have allowed 136 more points and just lost to the jets are a better defense than the patriots in your view.
This is why it’s hard to take you seriously.

This defense reeks of Matt Patricia. Simple as that.

Josh Allen showed why the Bills gave him a $288 million contract. Some unbelievable throws, some incredible escapes from the pocket and only one dumb throw that was dropped by our star corner. We really missed our slot corner, J Jones to cover those crossing routes from a quick wideout.

Agreed. Let's hope we don't see Myles Bryant as slot corner again ever. Like 12 passes allowed, and 9 first downs? The guy was abysmal. Since we lost J Jones we need to try anybody else - less than 12 receptions allowed is not a high hurdle. Allowing 6 to 8 receptions is an awful day but would have meant 2 to 3 punts by the Bills.

On the LBs....hopefully Uche, McGrone, and Perkins will be ready to contribute. All have excellent tools that should work well. That would be a nice influx of speed, athleticism, and youth.

Of course if they get onboard, next year we'll be complaining about how their lack of experience caused them to miss assignments. LOL

McMillan was great in camp before the blown ACL. Let's hope he is OK next year.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back