PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happened to the defense? Was this defense ever that good this year?

When you think about it, the only time they looked good was against inferior opponents. (Jets, Panthers, Browns, injured Titans) or when Mother Nature completely intervened (first Bills game)

We forget this is the same defense that let David Mills carve them up. Maybe they just got away with looking good the last couple months? I’m just baffled how they looked this bad today.
I think what we watched was an excellent Buffalo Bills offense and an opposing quarterback who is outstanding as a passer, as a scrambler and as a runner. The Patriots were in that backfield all day and Josh Allen delivered the goods when needed on possession after possession to keep the sticks moving and the Patriots offense on the sidelines.

To me, it was not about casting blame on the Patriots' defense but on heaping praise on the Bills' offense, most especially on Josh Allen and Isaiah McKenzie who was magnificent filling in for knucklehead Cole Beasley. McKenzie is yet another kid from Georgia who is a tremendous football player. My hat is off to those guys.

This is not to say the Patriots cannot beat them again. Far from it. Josh McDaniels needs to come out more aggressive and creative early in games. I think if the Patriots had had Rhamondre Stephenson as a complement to Harris, the running game would have a better day. And, for God's sakes, get Hunter Henry involved early. He's a stud who is never targeted in the first half it seems.

And lastly, make N'Keal Harry inactive and move along.

The Patriots need to hammer the Jaguars this weekend, clinch a spot and then turn the dogs loose on Tua in Miami. The playoffs will be a road trip and this team can beat anybody in January.

I actually have a lot to say about the defense, so lets goooo. Ill preface it by saying that I dont think we should make our judgements based on the last 2 games. Colts and Bills are as difficult as they come in the AFC, with the Chiefs, and there were a lot of other problems in these games. I would even say that I could see it being much worse with a worse D

1st chapter - Steve Belichick
I hate Steve Belichick in charge. I will not change my mind, unfortunetaly, as long as he and BB are together.

Seriously, how does this dynamic work? Who takes responsability if things are bad? Is Steve B. fireable? How do you criticize your son for his job? Do you do it in the same way as everyone else?

Moreover, what does Steve brings to the team? He learnt from the best, yes. But we STILL HAVE THE BEST. Im not going to indulge much here cause its pure speculation, but... What novelty, innovation does he bring to the table, having his full life inside the Patriots?

2nd chapter - DL quick thoughts

Hey Godchaux had 10 tackles once! He is great! - Says random poster.
I will say again, without fear > I DO NOT SEE this guy winning a single snap. I dont watch all his snap and maybe is a terrible coincidence, but its uncanny. His best snaps is when he goes laterally or doesnt move at all. That is not a good D-Lineman

Guy is another... er... guy who has lost a step. He isnt bad at all, but his best trait was being reliably solid. He isnt anymore.

Wise is not worth his contract. He is ok, but his snap count and ability dont match it.

Judon - Love him. Great Addition. Stud. Locker room leader. Only guy Ive ever seen in our system who doesnt need to hold the gap.

3rd chapter - New Beginnings.

Next year, we HAVE TO get new LBs. Ive said at the beginning of the season too, and I think it still holds up: Our Best LB, all year, at least on terms of consistency, has been Bentley. Kudos to him, but he aint a guy to build our LBs around. Van Noy is a bit better, but both him and HT are on the decline.

The same can be said about McCourty. I think he still got one more, high level year, but sooner rather than later, its gonna start showing too much.

JC needs to be Tagged. Him and Judon should lead this D for the new decade
The Patriots run defense is mediocre at 15th in rushing yards allowed. After that it looks like this is an excellent defense - 4th in yards per play allowed, 5th in takeaways, 3rd in passing yards allowed, 4th in points allowed, etc. The Patriots have a solid, top five defense. Deatrich Wise was missed on Sunday and is a fine hybrid LB/Edge. Jamie Collins continues to do Jamie Collins things by being out of position occasionally - Hightower needs to be sure he's in his lane. The guys up front (Godchaux, Guy, and Barmore) are fine. None of them is Vince Wilfork, but they're better than average as an interior unit.

The Bills played a great game on Sunday, offensively. When a QB plays as well as Josh Allen did, the offense has to keep up. Kudos to the Bills.

My biggest complaint about Sunday was with the offense, particularly the play calling in the first half. Josh McDaniels needs to start thinking about being aggressive in the 1st half. Maybe, just maybe, mix things up on first down. Maybe, come out in a hurry up early in the game rather than waiting until they are down two scores. And, puh-lease throw the ball to Hunter Henry early and often.

The Patriots have demonstrated that they can move the ball with their hair on fire when they are behind. Well, how about some urgency when tied or up a field goal?

The objective should be to jump on the Jaguars early and never take the foot off the gas on Sunday. The Jaguars are dead last in takeaways so take some chances and go for big gains. The defense could use some time on the sideline between possessions and the offense needs to prove that it can win a game. The Jags' offense has shown no signs that they can play from behind. It's time to get a convincing, confidence-boosting win led by the offense.

Read some negative comments about Godchaux,, however the BB & Crew must be missing how poorly he is playing as he has the most snap counts of any interior D lineman on the Patriots..

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back