PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you want the Pats to do with Butler?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What do you want the Pats to do with Butler?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Be the hoodie, I am sure this invalidates results... but I added an option, sign him long term

Last edited:
Personally, I would like to sign him to an extension.

But at this point I think there is pretty much no chance of that. He's going to get traded or play under the tender this year.

He seems like a good guy and a good player, I like his story and his place in Patriots lore, so I want to keep him around. I do not know (neither do you!) what is in the mind of the Great Hoodie regarding a possible replacement, so I do not know whether keeping him actually IS the best idea. Fortunately for all, I'm not the GM, though, so I get to just shill for my own whims. I'm a lucky guy.

I'm just going to sit back and watch ( = refresh refresh refresh) to see if Butler's agent blows up any potential NO deal. I say that hoping he plays one more year with the Pats. Another great year with the Pats and he can hopefully cash in big next year.

Keep him and try to extend him. They can trade Garrapolo to get the first round pick back, then use that pick for defense.

What I really want is for he and Bill to grab a beer or two and figure out how an extension can be done. If that didn't work figure out how any animosity can be set aside an Malcolm plays 2017 in NE

Money does not seem to be the issue, an unseasoned agent seems to be the major stumbling block..

My thought is to have him sign the tender, with the understanding that the Pats will then negotiated a long term deal commencing with the 2018 season..

This is a whole lot of unnecessary drama, made possible by an incompetent agent..

Heard an insurance agent the other day on the Radio say that MB could get an insurance policy of $20 Million, for about $200K... that would be his back-up.

At this point there is essentially no chance to sign him long term so I'd rather have an early pick in this year's draft than a potential compensatory 3rd rounder in 2 years. It's a downgrade for this year but gives us a shot (or more if traded down) at someone at cost for another 4-5 years.

I don't care whether he plays 2017 under the tender or a long term deal but I want him here for years to come. He's a top 10 corner, maybe top 5, and the sudden backlash on him as a player just because he might leave is pathetic. If he wants Gilmore money I think he should get it. The cap room is there and I don't see a problem paying 2 players at the same position huge money if they both play every down and are good enough players to justify it.

Trade Butler to Saints for their 2nd and 3rd round picks this year. Use the 2nd rounder to draft Sidney Jones and redshirt him. Sign Revis for 1 year at league minimum + enough bonus money to get him interested, without offsetting much of what the Jets have to pay him.

Ideally I want them to sign him to an extension, if not then keep him for the season, but if he is already moved on, then take nothing less than the #11 pick. But I'm under the assumption that BB and Payton have an "under-the-table" agreement already in place contingent on Butler agreeing to a long-term contract with the Saints.

Ideally I want them to sign him to an extension, if not then keep him for the season, but if he is already moved on, then take nothing less than the #11 pick. But I'm under the assumption that BB and Payton have an "under-the-table" agreement already in place contingent on Butler agreeing to a long-term contract with the Saints.

I agree with everything here. I have no idea why this poll has "Trade Butler for the #11 pick" *and* "Trade Butler for the #32 pick". I know both are possibilities, but if this question is about what we want, why on earth would we ever prefer the Pats to trade for a worse pick? Even though that's actually what might happen.

This defense, with Butler and Gilmore as the starting CBs, could be phenomenal. Without him, they should be good - good enough to certainly compete for a Super Bowl championship, seeing as though they should be really not substantially worse than last year's defense.

I'd like to see him get a reasonable offer from NO that the Patriots match. But if that doesn't happen I would like the 11th pick for him though I doubt that happens. It's easy to forget that the Patriots didn't have any real obligation to sign him long term, so why bother with anything other than the 1st round tender? You pay him 3.9 million this year and force Butler to come up with a (reasonable) starting point for a contract by testing the market. Essentially the Pats chose not to show their hand and force Butler to come up with an actual number that NE has to compete with. I'm holding out hope that they are doing with Butler almost the same thing they did with High

Keep him under the RFA tag, trade Jimmy G for day 1-2 pick(s), draft one of the number of promising CBs high to groom, play out 2017 with a defensive backfield of Gilmore, Butler, McCourty, and win Lombardi # 6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick