PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you guys think about the Patriots defense now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im loving the way we've been playing, in special the secondary, but i cant completely erase my fears... namely the DLine.

First of all, we cant generate pass-rush. Some of it is by design, but when ****ty QBs have up to 4 seconds to release, whe are doing something wrong. Hopefully this Dolphins game is an indication of the future, which, considering how much we improved from the beginning of the season, it might well be.

Secondly, we need to stop the run better. So far, it isnt a big problem: since we've been having a lead in games, stopping the run isnt a priority, but come playoff time, when the games get tougher, this inability might be our undoing. With Brown coming back, we might improve, so let's stay hopeful. Also, IMO this is Branch's last year here, since he's not being as good as last season

In a side note: it's unbelievable what we're getting out of our LBs. This roster (without HT), by name alone, could have been one of the worst in the NFL and yet we have been pretty damn solid all around. Come to think of it, every guy Brian Flowers works with improves tremendously. He'll be a DC sooner rather than later

Last edited:
I

First of all, we cant generate pass-rush.
Isn't it amazing that this is trotted out every year. No pass rush, no pass rush but we won the SB 2 out of the last 3 years and we have been in the AFCCG forever and if we did lose it was usually due to a team with too many injuries or an offense that **** the bed.

Last edited:
According to Buffalo, Steelers are gonna stomp our D and the only reason we have improved is our cupcake schedule.

How do I feel about our defense?

I’m on to Minnesota to be honest

Can we fast forward to February?

Clearly this is not the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens where those D's could cream you with their base. This also is clearly not a Patriot 2011 D where winning with that D was part of a 'win by complimentary attrition, a prayer, BB magical shell game'.

IMHO this D is situationally among the best there is but the base is not going to dominate (not an outright knock, they can slow you down). Provided BB/MP and staff have scouted the opposition well (normally the case) and guys have been well prepped on what to expect and what to do (normally the case), and BB/MP know what adjustments to make as the game goes on (this is always a case by case basis), in that respect our D appears upper tier and more than good enough to compliment the O. As long as opposing OC's haven't figured something out about the Patriots D that BB/MP have no adjustment/answer for, the D will not be a liability and/or will even be part of dominating wins. Huge side note: big plays have been largely squelched. Any D that gives up a number of big plays is DOA (like the Patriots were at season's start). O's having to sustain drives to score points + our O = :).

DB: This is one of the deepest Patriot defensive backfields I've seen. As the season has progressed it is getting more and more uncommon to see passes be completed uncontested (save the underneath stuff). In the 2017 NFL if you have a defensive backfield that is contesting/competitive coverage most passes beyond a few yards it usually creates a sufficient or better number of punts.
DL: we appear to have enough wide bodies up front to slow the run (if Miguel is right, expect VV to be added to the mix). Unspectacular otherwise.
LB: this is clearly the thinnest group. Raise your hand if you thought "KVN is indispensable and if we lose him we are in trouble"? But if Harris can be a satisfactory run stopping LB instead of a liability, and given KVN's emergence and the G.E.LB ER, this unit with be an overall G.E.LB group.

Biggest Concern other than health is the pass rush. We'll see...the deep defensive backfield will be tested.

What has me a bit puzzled is we have this deep defensive backfield yet I swear I keep seeing D personnel packages that seem to be daring teams to run the ball. Maybe it's pure coincidence I am noticing opposing O packages that would normally not have a D with a 5th DB. ..??? maybe I am just seeing things or maybe it simply is BB/MP finding unconventional ways to get their best D players on the field. But if teams can't run notably successfully on the Patriots when the Patriots play that D package? The D will continue to get into favorable down/distance situations -- something that usually makes any D look good but especially ones with good defensive backfield. This will also mean the Patriots are in better than expected great shape from a complimentary football aspect.
Outlook: D that isn't giving up big plays and is forcing good down/distance situations + the O's run game and pass game, deep pass game too, getting much warmer = chances of the Patriots winning being notably favorable in almost all circumstances.

Clearly this is not the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens where those D's could cream you with their base. This also is clearly not a Patriot 2011 D where winning with that D was part of a 'win by complimentary attrition, a prayer, BB magical shell game'.

IMHO this D is situationally among the best there is but the base is not going to dominate (not an outright knock, they can slow you down). Provided BB/MP and staff have scouted the opposition well (normally the case) and guys have been well prepped on what to expect and what to do (normally the case), and BB/MP know what adjustments to make as the game goes on (this is always a case by case basis), in that respect our D appears upper tier and more than good enough to compliment the O. As long as opposing OC's haven't figured something out about the Patriots D that BB/MP have no adjustment/answer for, the D will not be a liability and/or will even be part of dominating wins. Huge side note: big plays have been largely squelched. Any D that gives up a number of big plays is DOA (like the Patriots were at season's start). O's having to sustain drives to score points + our O = :).

DB: This is one of the deepest Patriot defensive backfields I've seen. As the season has progressed it is getting more and more uncommon to see passes be completed uncontested (save the underneath stuff). In the 2017 NFL if you have a defensive backfield that is contesting/competitive coverage most passes beyond a few yards it usually creates a sufficient or better number of punts.
DL: we appear to have enough wide bodies up front to slow the run (if Miguel is right, expect VV to be added to the mix). Unspectacular otherwise.
LB: this is clearly the thinnest group. Raise your hand if you thought "KVN is indispensable and if we lose him we are in trouble"? But if Harris can be a satisfactory run stopping LB instead of a liability, and given KVN's emergence and the G.E.LB ER, this unit with be an overall G.E.LB group.

Biggest Concern other than health is the pass rush. We'll see...the deep defensive backfield will be tested.

What has me a bit puzzled is we have this deep defensive backfield yet I swear I keep seeing D personnel packages that seem to be daring teams to run the ball. Maybe it's pure coincidence I am noticing opposing O packages that would normally not have a D with a 5th DB. ..??? maybe I am just seeing things or maybe it simply is BB/MP finding unconventional ways to get their best D players on the field. But if teams can't run notably successfully on the Patriots when the Patriots play that D package? The D will continue to get into favorable down/distance situations -- something that usually makes any D look good but especially ones with good defensive backfield. This will also mean the Patriots are in better than expected great shape from a complimentary football aspect.
Outlook: D that isn't giving up big plays and is forcing good down/distance situations + the O's run game and pass game, deep pass game too, getting much warmer = chances of the Patriots winning being notably favorable in almost all circumstances.
Nice write up, TBS. Did Miguel recently state that he believes it will be Vincent Valentine who is the player to return from IR? Any hints at why he believes this or a look into his reasoning? Personally, I’m still split as to whom I’d prefer, as there are arguments made for both, but if that is the case the coaches must really be losing faith in Branch, especially with Brown having returned last Sunday.

According to Buffalo? Are your referring to a talk radio show in NY?

No he is referring to the entire city of Buffalo. Every single person in Buffalo was polled and 100% of respondents agreed with the statement: "Pitt will destroy the Patriot defense which has been propped up by a cupcake schedule".

Survey Result Data:
256,902 polled
Agree with statement: 256,902
Disagree with statement: 0
(polling company: ESPN/Goodell Tools)

No he is referring to the entire city of Buffalo. Every single person in Buffalo was polled and 100% of respondents agreed with the statement: "Pitt will destroy the Patriot defense which has been propped up by a cupcake schedule".

Survey Result Data:
256,902 polled
Agree with statement: 256,902
Disagree with statement: 0
(polling company: ESPN/Goodell Tools)
I’ve always considered them quite the intellectual fan base, so this makes a lot of sense.

I read fan forums of our upcoming opponent weekly and a few posters seem to think Steelers will stomp us. I don't see it. That WILL be a statement game. Tomlin to me proved he is obsessed with us and that will be their downfall. NE wins 34-20. If we meet in the AFCCG, NE wins yet again.

Granted, injuries are a wildcard.

Everyone around here knows the Buffalos, aka Mr and Mrs Buffalo. Jim and Nancy. They’re a nice old couple who live down the street from me. They’ve been *****ing about NE’s weak schedule all season long.

Isn't it amazing that this is trotted out every year. No pass rush, no pass rush but we won the SB 2 out of the last 3 years and we have been in the AFCCG forever and if we did lose it was usually due to a team with too many injuries or an offense that **** the bed.

Also, you know, seven sacks last week.

That obviously was a mirage.

Secondly, we need to stop the run better.

Runs up the middle haven't really been much of a problem. It's been runners getting to the outside, and that's more on the edge players.

Brown returning to the DL-interior may allow Guy and Adam Butler to play fewer interior snaps and more edge snaps, which could help. Replacing Marsh with Lee could also help. Having Gilmore back doesn't hurt, either, since he's pretty good at edge-contain, as are Butler and Jon Jonzz. And Jonzz emerging as a competent inside/slot corner perhaps helps keep Gilmore and Butler on the edges a bit more.

According to Buffalo, Steelers are gonna stomp our D and the only reason we have improved is our cupcake schedule.

Let's see ... both the Pats and the Bills play:
2 games v. MIA
2 games v. the Jets
4 games v. the NFC South
4 games v. the AFC West

= 75% of their schedules against common opponents.

Then, the Pats play 2 games against last season's division winners while the Bills play 2 games against last year's 3rd-place finishers.

Bunch of damn geniuses over there in Buffalo.

When one looks at the lack of star power, lack of high draft picks on that defense vs their performance I find it simply amazing that tbey perform st their present level. I think they have not yet peaked ... there is more there which will be fun to watch.

That a practice squad member, from the Bills, with about a week's worth of practice with the team, actually shows up on TV playing the game, getting snaps, would send any fanbase into absolute desperate panic.

10 pts allowed by the defense. Dude records a sack. Put it in the BB museum of awesome.

That a practice squad member, from the Bills, with about a week's worth of practice with the team, actually shows up on TV playing the game, getting snaps, would send any fanbase into absolute desperate panic.

10 pts allowed by the defense. Dude records a sack. Put it in the BB museum of awesome.

Let's hope that Grigsby does something similar this week.

They won't be playing the Jets in the playoffs.

No, they'll be playing offenses ranked in the top 10, like New Orleans or Atlanta (who you picked to go to the SB) who they've already shut down.

Stop posting stupid ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents