PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Do You Expect From Defensive Scheme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vindicate

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
So it's been quoted multiple times, from players including Hightower, that the defense is "easier". To put it in Hightower's words "The playbook is still the playbook, but it's just a little easier". This change has come with praise from the players.

Flores seems to be hoping a scheme tweak that allows players to play a bit "faster" is the way to go. Albeit a small sample size this far, what are the main differences you guys expect? How do you expect our changed talent to be utilized?

This isn't a system overhaul by any means, and we get that. Given the player feedback thus far, I'm interested in what is to come.

Meh, I thought I skimmed first page enough to see if this was being covered, but apparently not. Sorry mods, feel free to delete.

What do I expect?

For which game?

I expect the defense to be ... very pliable ... which is is a little like your buddy's saying that his sister's friend hasn't had any kind of makeover or lost any weight, but she still has that really nice personality.

I expect solid run defense. Awful 3rd down defense. Awful passing yardage defense. But still top 5 in points allowed. And I expect them to have to bail us out at least once in the playoffs if we're gonna get number 6

I expect the defense to be ... very pliable ... which is is a little like your buddy's saying that his sister's friend hasn't had any kind of makeover or lost any weight, but she still has that really nice personality.

Okay. But is she ... pliable?

I don’t see the pass defense as a whole lot better. The run D will improve by miles though.

Interesting stats from a link in the article you reference.

Patriots rushed 3 23.7% of the time and got pressure on 26.5% of those
Rushed 4 55%, pressure 29.4%
Rushed 5+ 21.2% pressure 32.6%

Our 21.2% blitz rate was slightly below the league average of 25.9% bit our pressure on those blitzes was far below the league average 42.9%.
But with a 4 man rush our 29.4% was very close to league average of 30.4%
And our 3 man of 26.5% was better than the 25.7% average.

It seems to indicate we were not a good blitzing team which would explain why we blitzed less often than average. The additional 3% pressure isn’t worth taking 1 or more defenders out of coverage.
With Hightower back we should be a better blitzing team.
Interestingly our dL did a good job on their own which is a bit of a surprise given the depleted de position.
Big improvements at that spot should help the 3 and 4 man rushes as well as the blitzing.

It would be nice to see the passing numbers vs each type of rush if anyone knows where to find them.

Pressure by Number of Pass-Rushers 2017 | Football Outsiders

Interesting stats from a link in the article you reference.

Patriots rushed 3 23.7% of the time and got pressure on 26.5% of those
Rushed 4 55%, pressure 29.4%
Rushed 5+ 21.2% pressure 32.6%

Our 21.2% blitz rate was slightly below the league average of 25.9% bit our pressure on those blitzes was far below the league average 42.9%.
But with a 4 man rush our 29.4% was very close to league average of 30.4%
And our 3 man of 26.5% was better than the 25.7% average.

It seems to indicate we were not a good blitzing team which would explain why we blitzed less often than average. The additional 3% pressure isn’t worth taking 1 or more defenders out of coverage.
With Hightower back we should be a better blitzing team.
Interestingly our dL did a good job on their own which is a bit of a surprise given the depleted de position.
Big improvements at that spot should help the 3 and 4 man rushes as well as the blitzing.

It would be nice to see the passing numbers vs each type of rush if anyone knows where to find them.

Pressure by Number of Pass-Rushers 2017 | Football Outsiders

Thanks for pulling those numbers, does shed light on what we saw last year.

Along with Hightower's addition, Shelton and a few other fresh names on the DL should be just that much better.

Can anyone shed light on this "fast" term that's tossed around? I saw it applied a lot to that Falcons defense we squared off against in the SB. What does "fast" imply (That may sound rhetorical but I'm relatively new to football compared to others here) and in any case, how do you avoid the season-long wear and tear of a "fast" defense? That seemed to be the downfall of the Falcons. They were G A S S E D by the second half.

Thanks for pulling those numbers, does shed light on what we saw last year.

Along with Hightower's addition, Shelton and a few other fresh names on the DL should be just that much better.

Can anyone shed light on this "fast" term that's tossed around? I saw it applied a lot to that Falcons defense we squared off against in the SB. What does "fast" imply (That may sound rhetorical but I'm relatively new to football compared to others here) and in any case, how do you avoid the season-long wear and tear of a "fast" defense? That seemed to be the downfall of the Falcons. They were G A S S E D by the second half.
I think it’s just a euphemism. Defensive players always talk about being aggressive and playing fast. I think what Hightower is saying is the defense is more simplistic with less varaiatuons installed so far this year, so they dont have to think and can be more instinctual.

I think it’s just a euphemism. Defensive players always talk about being aggressive and playing fast. I think what Hightower is saying is the defense is more simplistic with less varaiatuons installed so far this year, so they dont have to think and can be more instinctual.

That's kinda what I thought would happen when everything settled down after Patricia left and it was obvious that Flores would stay. Patricia seemed to be over-designing his schemes to have an answer for everything which on the one hand is good because you can attack the weakness of what you are seeing specifically. On the other hand since players are just humans it has more potential to result in miscommunication and less instinctual player because everyone has to be on the same page regarding the specific situation they are in.

Obviously to the extreme both approaches are not good because if schemes are too simplistic you are solely reliant on the talent of players to make plays. But hearing what HT has said so far this year I think Patricia might have balanced things too far to the "prepared for everything" end of the spectrum and Flores is moving that needle a little bit closer to the center.

All that being said lets not forget that Flores is in his first year as DC. He will learn a lot this season and we won't see "truly his defense" until late this year or maybe even next year.

I think it’ll better than last year. With the return of Hightower, the replacement of Lee & Flowers with Rivers & Davis (an upgrade IMO), the addition of Claiborn, and Jonathon Jones coming back (excellent special teams and good slot CB).

I think losing Hightower and Jones, and not having Rivers as an option as a pass rusher, hurt this defense big time. Knocking on wood and hoping those guys can stay healthy this year.

I think it’ll better than last year. With the return of Hightower, the replacement of Lee & Flowers with Rivers & Davis (an upgrade IMO), the addition of Claiborn, and Jonathon Jones coming back (excellent special teams and good slot CB).

I think losing Hightower and Jones, and not having Rivers as an option as a pass rusher, hurt this defense big time. Knocking on wood and hoping those guys can stay healthy this year.
All this talk of, "The defense was too complex under Patricia and Flores will make it simpler and better." is misguided.

Maybe last year Fat Matt needed to scheme more to cover up the weaknesses. Who knows but we do know because of injuries, the 2017 D was not as good as the 2016 D.

Maybe Fat Matt needed to scheme more to cover up the weaknesses. Who knows but we do know because of injuries, the 2017 D was not as good as the 2016 D.

That is a pretty fair point.

I am still amazed they improved the defense that much over the year even after losing their second most important player next to Gilmore. So even though I often use the word "over-designed" I still think 2017 was Patricias best coaching job given what he had to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back