PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What changes should they make before the end of the season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What changes should be made before the season ends?

• Total voters
Want to get Kraft's attention, stage a walk out during the final home game this year.
That image would haunt Robert all offseason
Only issue, people would still have to pony up $50 to park

Better yet, boycott the game.

tv land dancing GIF by #Impastor

IMO it starts and ends with coaching. Everyone has their own opinion on Bill the GM, and I don't think he's as bad as many here make him out to be), but this offense has become dramatically worse with what should be a better roster than last year.

The units that Judge and Patricia are responsible have been awful. It can't be coincidence. I was thinking, if McDaniels was still here, would the offense still be struggling? I don't think so.

The Patriots always made more out of less with fantastic coaching. That edge is gone. I don't think Bill has lost his ability to coach, not in the least. But it's part of his job to build a capable staff, and on the offensive side this year (and maybe special teams), he's failed pretty badly.

Next year will be defined by what changes are made on this coaching staff.

IMO it starts and ends with coaching. Everyone has their own opinion on Bill the GM, and I don't think he's as bad as many here make him out to be), but this offense has become dramatically worse with what should be a better roster than last year.

The units that Judge and Patricia are responsible have been awful. It can't be coincidence. I was thinking, if McDaniels was still here, would the offense still be struggling? I don't think so.

The Patriots always made more out of less with fantastic coaching. That edge is gone. I don't think Bill has lost his ability to coach, not in the least. But it's part of his job to build a capable staff, and on the offensive side this year (and maybe special teams), he's failed pretty badly.

Next year will be defined by what changes are made on this coaching staff.
BB has always had to do more with less it seems. One change that I wish the NFL would make is to compensate teams when other teams raid their coaching staffs.

Look at how many coaches BB has developed only to lose them to other teams.

I don't have the numbers, but BB must be near the top of quality coaches that he has developed.
If another team signs away one of your players, you can get compensated with comp picks. There have even been occasions where teams have paid high draft picks to hire a head coach under contract with another team.
During the Pats dynasty days they were constantly having to compensate for losing coaches to other teams, and still developing competent replacement, and I can't think of another team that has been raided for their coaches than the Pats.

Some teams seem to have an inability to develop coaches at all.

Also, for those of you who think BB should be fired, who do you want for a replacement?

I guarantee BB would have a long line of suitors if he wanted to keep coaching.

After this season. Really doubtful. Which owner will want to put up with a grumpy 70 year old coach who is coming off losing record and having the worst offensive position because he doesn't trust outsiders and drafts based on insider recommendations and wants zero interference.

Besides if patriots after a 20 year old association are willing to let go of bill , imagine what the mindset of a new franchise would be.

The only ones who could have bills would be bottom feeders without QB of the future .

After this season. Really doubtful. Which owner will want to put up with a grumpy 70 year old coach who is coming off losing record and having the worst offensive position because he doesn't trust outsiders and drafts based on insider recommendations and wants zero interference.

Besides if patriots after a 20 year old association are willing to let go of bill , imagine what the mindset of a new franchise would be.

The only ones who could have bills would be bottom feeders without QB of the future .
You're on crack, he could get a job in 15 minutes.... that's IF he didn't have a phone within 20 miles.

Didn’t read everyones posts, but to the OP
1. fire Fat Matt now
2. judge goes with him
3. weird son supposedly coaching defense can go too.
4. maybe actually promote Mayo before he leaves
5. prioritize the offensive line for 2023

buddies and family isn’t a successful combination.

I don't have the numbers, but BB must be near the top of quality coaches that he has developed.
Here's a trivia question: Name the only Coach under the BB coaching tree that has won a playoff game?
During the Pats dynasty days they were constantly having to compensate for losing coaches to other teams, and still developing competent replacement, and I can't think of another team that has been raided for their coaches than the Pats.
The recent raids have been from Carroll, Reid, Shanahan and McVay.

We all know the Matty P/Judge staffing was horrible. But, BB won't do anything about it during the season because that would be completely self-incriminating. It's all his fault, and it's his hubris that won't allow him to acknowledge it. He thinks he's smart enough to run the O himself, and Patricia was the patsy that would quietly run whatever he wants. I'm terrified that BB won't hire a big name, or experienced OC next year either because that would prove he screwed a whole season of Kraft's money on this terrible decision.
The only potential thing to fix it fast, would be if BB leaves after this year. Otherwise, I'm afraid we'll go through more internal shuffling and sputtering for the next 3 years until BB retires on his own.

BB has always had to do more with less it seems. One change that I wish the NFL would make is to compensate teams when other teams raid their coaching staffs.

Look at how many coaches BB has developed only to lose them to other teams.

If another team signs away one of your players, you can get compensated with comp picks. There have even been occasions where teams have paid high draft picks to hire a head coach under contract with another team.

Some teams seem to have an inability to develop coaches at all.

Also, for those of you who think BB should be fired, who do you want for a replacement?

I agree with this. Even if it’s a late round pick, it’ll at least be something. I get coaches deserve promotions and change happens but just the smallest bit of compensation would be nice

I don't know why the NFL keeps raiding their coaching staff. It's not like they've been successful.

Bill O'Brien you could say was average or maybe even slightly above average if you want to be kind. But then he turned around and made the worst decisions BB has made as a GM look like epic wins compared to what BOB did.

I think Flores could have been really good if not for the ownership in Miami so that's a shame.

If you want to count Daboll as BB's I think he's going to be good. The thing about Daboll is he took learnings from multiple systems and is his own man. He's not trying to be a clone like some of the others.

Really everyone else has been awful. Patricia, Judge, Mangini, Crennel.......the Raiders better rattle off some wins of JM might be done for good.

Interestingly former players to this point have been really good. Vrabel and O'Connell.

Everyone keeps trying to distill the problems with this team down to a single problem. It's just flawed almost everywhere.

How many plus players are on this roster right now? I'd say 5. Andrews, Stevenson, Judon, Jack Jones and Marcus Jones. I'm sorry for those of you who have Harris, Dugger, Mac and others as binkies but pickout the 16th (32nd for double position slots) best player at their position and tell me they're better than that. If you want to include Folk I'm not going to agrue but he's also not a real difference maker. All things considered I think he's an average dependable kicker which is fine.

Now ask yourself who even has the potential to be a plus player. I would only add Barmore (who if healthy and was continuing to improve I'd include), if he had a dependable line and weapons maybe Mac, Dugger if he could clean up some of the mental mistakes. I'm sure some people will Uche and Wise. They're not the problem but they're not plus players either.

That's all without getting into the coaching staff or all the mental mistakes this team makes which speaks to both the lack of talent and the poor staff.

Off-season priorities.

Fix the OL so you can give MJ a chance and find out if he really is the solution.

If BOB is done at Bama bring him back and get rid of Beavis and Butthead.

Fix the receiver position. I was calling for Marcus Jones to get some offensive snaps before it happened to a couple of friends every week. When he went out to the huddle I spotted it and texted them here comes the bubble screen to Marcus Jones. More of that this year and going forward please. That kid has the short area burst nobody else on this team has.

LB upgrades. They aren't awful but there are no consistent difference makers

Interior DL upgrades. Ditto to the LBs. They're not a bad rotation but there's nobody who takes over the line of scrimmage.

On the positive side the draft has been much better the last three years. They need another solid one. They also have 53-ish million in cap space. I hope they spend it better than Agholor, Jonnu and Henry. That's awful value for what they paid.

A lot of hate for Bourne, Agholor, Henry & Smith - rightly so. We spent ridiculous money on them, and only Henry did anything (last year).
What I'm sick of is BB buying high-caliber talent, and they always fail here. While when almost every other team pays for a bigtime FA, they feature them and let them roll. 4 of the bigger offensive weapons of the 21 FA season came here, and disappeared.
It's unacceptable. It's not all 4 talents that suddenly died in their prime! It's BB and his system/personnel/coaching decisions.

Get Nick Caley some play calling experience. Send Fat Matt up to the booth or to Cheesecake Factory.

Make Myles Bryant a game day inactive and play Shaun Wade.

I'm sure there is more.

the biggest, most glaring issue is the OL......whether that is due to personnel, injuries, coaching or a combination......nothing it getting better until the OL improves

we aren't going to find NFL starter-worthy upgrades at this point of the season......i don't think coaching is the only or even the biggest issue with this group.......although it may be part of it

you do what you can do to not get anyone's career ended, either through seeing ghost or getting hammered.......so far Mac has handled all of this year's adversity remarkably well.......and you do what needs to be done in the offseason, between FA, draft, coaching additions, coaching subtractions

nothing matters until that front is better

Every one of the OL has played better in the past than they appear to be now, even Strange in his limited time. They need to add an OT, for sure, to upgrade that position, but otherwise should be fine. Needing to upgrade one OL in an offseason is very normal, not a sign of a significant problem. To me is far more about management/coaching than it is about talent.

The one thing that is completely unacceptable is having Patricia and Judge guiding our first round QB who showed a lot of promise in year 1. This is indefensible. If BB won’t make the right changes to the offence this off-season Kraft needs to blow it up.

It was indefensible in the off season. Everyone in the media was saying how bizarre and odd bill was filling (or not filling) out the coaching staff.

But obviously a lot of the "bill is right on all counts!" Bobos said all will be fine.

We are now reaping the results of Bills coaching staff.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back