PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What changes should they make before the end of the season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What changes should be made before the season ends?

• Total voters
None. Start experimenting and find out what players we want to keep.

If they finished this season on an 0-7 slide after the miserable 1-4 finish to last season, then Belichick would have to go. Retire, retreat to the front office, be fired... just not the HC anymore.
The Front Office is the last place he should go. He should remain the head coach. He should hand over player personal decisions to a established GM he can work with. Its his recent player and personal moves that has been the problem.

A lot of hate for Bourne, Agholor, Henry & Smith - rightly so. We spent ridiculous money on them, and only Henry did anything (last year).
What I'm sick of is BB buying high-caliber talent, and they always fail here. While when almost every other team pays for a bigtime FA, they feature them and let them roll. 4 of the bigger offensive weapons of the 21 FA season came here, and disappeared.
It's unacceptable. It's not all 4 talents that suddenly died in their prime! It's BB and his system/personnel/coaching decisions.
Bourne was reasonable dollars. In 2022 he being mis-used.

Charlie Weiss has said Bill won’t hire anyone outside of his friends and family. That’s bad news fellas.

Hardly doing what’s best for the team. That mantra he says but doesn’t practice.
I think it maybe time to make some tough decisions.
I never thought I would see Tom in a different jersey.
Seeing BB doing elsewhere at the end of his coaching career won’t hurt as much as I thought it would 3 years ago.
Kraft needs to do the right thing.
It’s time to look at the most innovative successful offenses and take a long hard look at those play callers.

The common trend has been ex offensive players being good to really good Hcs.
Let’s start there.

My wish list at HC.

1. Sean Payton
2. Sean Mcvay.
3. Wes Welker
4. Shane Strichen
5. Jonathan Gannon
6. Kellen Moore
7. Ken Dorsey
8.Joe Brady
9.Josh Mccown
10.Mike Kafka
11.Brian Callahan
12. Frank Smith
13. Brian Hoyer

Every one of the OL has played better in the past than they appear to be now, even Strange in his limited time. They need to add an OT, for sure, to upgrade that position, but otherwise should be fine. Needing to upgrade one OL in an offseason is very normal, not a sign of a significant problem. To me is far more about management/coaching than it is about talent.

they need two OT's just to fill starter positions......strange needs another year of building strength/adding mass to really fill out into a ft starter......they have had injuries in the middle.....if you think this OL is just needing an upgrade of "one OL" and is "normal", then you're skewing the conversation to make a preconceived belief

the talent level on this OT IS a significant problem......the health of this OL has been a significant problem.......to a point where it is hard to judge the coaching of this OL, because it has been such a hot mess all year in terms of injury and lack of talent

Figure out the red zone offense. They're tied for last in the league in red zone efficiency. If they were performing in the RZ at the same rate as last year, they'd be 8-4 and we'd be having a wholly different conversation around here.

BUT....the real problem with the red zone offense is twofold: (1) the plays they're calling, and (2) the fact that the OL can't run block. The Pats are, amazingly (given that Harris and Stevenson are both very good), one of the worst running teams in the league, by any measure. Hard to punch the ball into the end zone when you can't run the ball effectively.

Here is my list for preparing for next year, assuming no outsiders

1. Start to groom Nick Caley as OC now to assess his readiness
2. Reassign MP to the Ernie Adams analyst role, bring in BOB or promote Caley depending on how things go
3. Make Joe Judge the ST coach
4. Take a hard look at OL and WR depth before the draft and free agency
5. Name Mayo the DC and give him the authority that goes with the job
6. Make Axel QB coach
7. Make OL the number 1 priority in the offseason

The running game is supposed to be a strength of this team...and it's ranked 23rd. Pats have good running backs especially Rham so that's on the OL. Would have been nice if Mason was still here to run block but I guess BB gotta BB.

if you think this OL is just needing an upgrade of "one OL" and is "normal", then you're skewing the conversation to make a preconceived belief

So if I express an opinion, and you disagree with it, then by definition I'm biased and corrupting the analysis?
I think you are practicing what you just accused me of.

Here is my list for preparing for next year, assuming no outsiders

1. Start to groom Nick Caley as OC now to assess his readiness
2. Reassign MP to the Ernie Adams analyst role, bring in BOB or promote Caley depending on how things go
3. Make Joe Judge the ST coach
4. Take a hard look at OL and WR depth before the draft and free agency
5. Name Mayo the DC and give him the authority that goes with the job
6. Make Axel QB coach
7. Make OL the number 1 priority in the offseason

I'd also consider making Phatt Matt the OL-Only coach before kicking him off the sidelines for good... Don't think that Yates should be simply handed the job, because it's clear that he's not up to that task by himself either.

they need two OT's just to fill starter positions......strange needs another year of building strength/adding mass to really fill out into a ft starter......they have had injuries in the middle.....if you think this OL is just needing an upgrade of "one OL" and is "normal", then you're skewing the conversation to make a preconceived belief

the talent level on this OT IS a significant problem......the health of this OL has been a significant problem.......to a point where it is hard to judge the coaching of this OL, because it has been such a hot mess all year in terms of injury and lack of talent

So you agree on Strange, that he's going to grow into an upside, and the center and other guard are fine but have been injured. Thus the entirely of our disagreement is around whether they need one OT or two.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back