PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are you expecting from Mac Jones this season?

I was making no distinction. And even if Mac were to regress and still win a SB that works for me.
Can you imagine the shock if one of the QB's taken ahead of him last year regressed? :rofl:

But Mac after only two full years as a starter was so good that he's done improving and is the most likely to regress? :confused:

Methinks many fans of other teams and national reporters are whistling in the dark ;)

The other thing Mac has going for him is that he is being developed by the same guy who developed Brady. And I don't mean Tom House (although that's cool) but Bill Belichick.

It was not **** Rehbein, nor Charlie Weis, nor Josh McDaniels, nor Bill O'Brien, nor some lowby QB coach that developed Brady, it was Bill Belichick.

I'm sorry to disagree with all the Brady worshippers here, but 20 years of film review and game planning sessions with Belichick had to have been crucial in Brady's taking his game to the GOAT level.

Brady's the GOAT, and Mac has not even proven he's an NFL franchise QB yet, but both of them share a lot of attributes, and a very important similarity is that they are both phenomenal working learners.

And as we can see already from the OTA's, Belichick is teaching Mac, too. Mac sadly won't have 20 years with Belichick, but I suspect that Bill is committed to giving him a PhD level crash course in playing QB in the NFL at the highest level.

I was making no distinction. And even if Mac were to regress and still win a SB that works for me.
Agree. Heck, if Mac regresses and Bailey Zappe QBs a Super Bowl victory that’s okay too.

The other thing Mac has going for him is that he is being developed by the same guy who developed Brady. And I don't mean Tom House (although that's cool) but Bill Belichick.

It was not **** Rehbein, nor Charlie Weis, nor Josh McDaniels, nor Bill O'Brien, nor some lowby QB coach that developed Brady, it was Bill Belichick.

I'm sorry to disagree with all the Brady worshippers here, but 20 years of film review and game planning sessions with Belichick had to have been crucial in Brady's taking his game to the GOAT level.

Brady's the GOAT, and Mac has not even proven he's an NFL franchise QB yet, but both of them share a lot of attributes, and a very important similarity is that they are both phenomenal working learners.

And as we can see already from the OTA's, Belichick is teaching Mac, too. Mac sadly won't have 20 years with Belichick, but I suspect that Bill is committed to giving him a PhD level crash course in playing QB in the NFL at the highest level.
100% agree on why the GOAT became the GOAT.

So far the posts vary between expectation and hoping for.
Expectation is that he will improve upon last year due to better knowledge and understanding, physical improvement and the experience of a season of playing against NFL players.
Hope is that this elevates him to a top tier QB.
Last years offense was #6 in the category that matters, so that is already top tier, but consistency would really elevate it.
A strong player/team/unit will dominate a bad opposing player/team/unit, beat a good one and hang in there toe to with a great one.
That’s the step in his development that I most want to see. Expose weaknesses to put up big scoring numbers against weaker defenses, make the key plays to beat good ones, and stay in the game and have a chance to make a deciding play against the best.
Ultimately that is how the Brady years went. We rarely ever lost to a bad team. We won a very high % of games and many handily against average or good teams, and we beat the best teams more often than anyone ever has, usually by making a critical play in a close game
Stats don’t matter to me (other than the one that decides who wins). Stats accumulated in a loss are meaningless. Stats padding a win are next to meaningless. Making plays that are the difference between winning and losing is what matters.

4000 yards, 30 TD passes, hopefully under 15 INTs. I expect a run heavy offense.

If Bill really wants to put the record for total wins for coaches out of sight, he'll be on the sideline in his hoodie at 90.

After what we saw last year, and Smith, Aggy, Bourne in their 2nd year, with Thornton stretching the field and Parker onboard?
4400/33/12, with 150yds on the ground... minimum.

I'm a PROUD HOMER!

I fully expect jo we to take a year two leap.

I expect 5,000 yards, 40 td’s and 10 int’s.

Ps: if our defense is as bad as they appear on paper, jones will be putting the ball in the air 50 plus times a game as we will constantly be playing from behind.

Tip 10 QB in the league, 4500 yards, 35 TDs to 10 interceptions, 69.5% completion ratio.

40 plays of 20 yards or more.

30/12 TD/INT ratio, 69% completion rate, & 4,500 yards.

For reference, his rookie season was 22/13, 67%, and 3,800 yards.

30/12 TD/INT ratio, 69% completion rate, & 4,500 yards.

For reference, his rookie season was 22/13, 67%, and 3,800 yards.
Pretty much this is my hope. It's attainable with the upgrade of Parker st WR. No true #1 still, but a solid core with a lot of flexibility and match up potential. Still no where near what it needs to be to really compete. But that's ok.

A good qb can take that and put up those numbers these days. Don't even need to be great to do it. Just good.

Last edited:
Pretty muvh this is my hope.

Pretty much this is my hope. It's attainable with the upgrade of Parker st WR. No true #1 still, but a solid core with a lot of flexibility and match up potential. Still no where near what it needs to be to really compete. But that's ok.

A good qb can take that and put up those numbers these days. Don't eben need to be great.

As I alluded to up above somewhere...if we added 200 yards to his 3 attempt game @Buffalo...he would have been over 4K yards as a rookie...not bad.

I am hoping he will have much more control over the offense than he did last year. They were handling him with kid gloves and his frustration was pretty apparent at times, especially when the clock was running down.

He is a fast learner.

Mac needs to dramatically improve on these numbers.

Consider these nuggets from last season, via ESPN Stats & Information:
  • 41% of Jones' pass attempts thrown at least 20 yards downfield were over- or underthrown last season, an off-target mark that ranked 21st in the NFL (league average 36%).
  • Jones ranked 24th with a 38.8% completion rate on vertical routes last season according to NFL Next Gen Stats. His completion percentage above expectation on those throws was -4.5% (26th out of 31 qualified QBs).
  • Jones had his most completions 20-plus yards downfield to receiver Jakobi Meyers (7-of-16), but struggled to connect with Agholor (4-of-17, 0 TD, 2 INT).
  • Patriots receivers ranked 25th with only 1.6 yards of separation on deep balls per NFL Next Gen Stats.

We may want to keep Meyers.

I expect Mac to have total control of the offense, with great depth at both WR and RB plus at least two solid tight ends. The OL is going to be good enough, aided by the broad range of possible plays. With that as his setting Mac will look natural as the next Josh Allen, and by post season in the conversation with Mahomes.

I expect it’s going to be fun to watch.

Yep, Belichick made Brady who he is. Without Bill, there is no Gisele in Brady's life, maybe 1-2 super bowls, and he's not even in the HOF conversation.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back