PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are you expecting from Mac Jones this season?

55 TDs
10 or less INTs
5500+ pass yards
500+ rushing yards
20-0 record
SB MVP
NFL MVP
Could a mod please move this post to the Brady forum? We’re talking about Mac Jones in here. :D :D

Last edited:
Hbu you all?
He had a fantastic rookie season, especially considering the poor quality of receivers and ends he had to throw to. I expect the offense will open up a bit and we will see more attempts by Jones, which will lead to more completions, yards and TDs. Hopefully it doesn’t lead to more INTs, and I don’t think it will.

However in order for Jones to really take that next step into Herbert/Allen territory, NE is going to need a legit #1 WR. If they don’t get one, they are wasting a fantastic QB talent.

I expect him to get RK’s girlfriend pregnant and…..

I think he will be much better this year in terms of knowing the offense and his receivers. What really needs to be seen is if he can come though in the clutch at the end of games. That is where he did not fair well last year.

Last edited:
55 TDs
10 or less INTs
5500+ pass yards
500+ rushing yards
20-0 record
SB MVP
NFL MVP

Jeez I must have been tired or drunk when I posted that......

I meant 56 TDs to remove Manning's name from the record book, my mistake

Jeez I must have been tired or drunk when I posted that......

I meant 56 TDs to remove Manning's name from the record book, my mistake
Why stop at 20-0..? As we discussed last season, 21-0 is technically possible, so let's set our sights on that.

I don't expect any more 3 pass games. I think he's earned having the reins loosened a bit.

If we took out that 3 pass game and added in a regular performance...Mac would have been over 4k yards last year...

Reactions: sb1
Hopefully he can go from being a part of the offense, to the key that the offense revolves around. They were one dimensional last year, and the passing game was a problem, especially towards the end of the season. They couldnt play off script, or dig out of a hole...In todays game, the passing game needs to be close to elite

What I'd like to see from Mac Jones is better consistency on the field and better mastery of the offensive system. I'd also like him to fully make his reads so he doesn't just go for the easy checkdown too often but actually puts some fear into the defense by airing the football out when the opportunities arise.

Mac Jones had by far the best rookie season of any of the 'Fab 5' taken in round 1 of the 2021 draft. 3800 passing yards, 22 TDs 13 INTs. He had some good games but he also had some below average games where he didn't meet expectations. Overall still very good for a rookie. But the important thing is for Mac Jones to IMPROVE in year 2 if the Patriots are going to end up being a serious playoff threat.

In terms of total passing yards, Mac Jones already proved himself above average, his 3800 yards ranking 13th in the entire NFL.

In terms of completion percentage Mac Jones was already an elite performer as a rookie.

“Per Next Gen Stats, Jones had a 71.4 completion percentage against two-safety shells, second in the league behind Kyler Murray's 72.8. On quick passes, he had a 77.4 completion percentage, ranking fifth, and his 74.4 completion percentage on play-action was second only to Jimmy Garoppolo (75.4%).”Feb 2, 2022 Source - SI Article

The accuracy is there folks. But can he maintain those accuracy numbers when throwing at higher volumes and throwing further down the field?

We'll see. But if Mac continues to improve and his new weapons such as Parker and Thornton pan out, and he continues to improve chemistry with Bourne, I don't see why his numbers won't go up as well.

Assuming incremental improvement by Mac along with improvement in his receiving targets I could realistically see 3,900-4,200 yards, 28-32 TDs and 13-16 INTs along with a 65-69% completion percentage. Something in that neighborhood. This is assuming he starts all 17 games and he doesn't play in any 'Wind Bowl' games where he's forced not to throw the ball at all because that's against the gameplan of the week.

What I'd like to see from Mac Jones is better consistency on the field and better mastery of the offensive system. I'd also like him to fully make his reads so he doesn't just go for the easy checkdown too often but actually puts some fear into the defense by airing the football out when the opportunities arise.

Mac Jones had by far the best rookie season of any of the 'Fab 5' taken in round 1 of the 2021 draft. 3800 passing yards, 22 TDs 13 INTs. He had some good games but he also had some below average games where he didn't meet expectations. Overall still very good for a rookie. But the important thing is for Mac Jones to IMPROVE in year 2 if the Patriots are going to end up being a serious playoff threat.

In terms of total passing yards, Mac Jones already proved himself above average, his 3800 yards ranking 13th in the entire NFL.

In terms of completion percentage Mac Jones was already an elite performer as a rookie.

“Per Next Gen Stats, Jones had a 71.4 completion percentage against two-safety shells, second in the league behind Kyler Murray's 72.8. On quick passes, he had a 77.4 completion percentage, ranking fifth, and his 74.4 completion percentage on play-action was second only to Jimmy Garoppolo (75.4%).”Feb 2, 2022 Source - SI Article

The accuracy is there folks. But can he maintain those accuracy numbers when throwing at higher volumes and throwing further down the field?

We'll see. But if Mac continues to improve and his new weapons such as Parker and Thornton pan out, and he continues to improve chemistry with Bourne, I don't see why his numbers won't go up as well.

Assuming incremental improvement by Mac along with improvement in his receiving targets I could realistically see 3,900-4,200 yards, 28-32 TDs and 13-16 INTs along with a 65-69% completion percentage. Something in that neighborhood. This is assuming he starts all 17 games and he doesn't play in any 'Wind Bowl' games where he's forced not to throw the ball at all because that's against the gameplan of the week.

Good post.

I'd much rather be in our position vs the four teams that picked QB's before Mac. The media is making excuses for their poor play and expecting big 2nd year jumps.

Many here on the other hand -- egged on by many in both the local and especially the national media -- act like we fear that Mac will be the only QB to regress!

Mac's actually quite inexperienced -- he has started only 2 complete seasons here and at Alabama -- yet magically was great at Alabama and by far the best rookie QB. But the media narrative is to credit all that success to Saban and McDaniels, while inventing excuses for the poor play of his competitors in his draft class.

Just maybe his success was largely his own doing, and the attributes that led him to win at Alabama and out perform his rookie NFL competition might actually lead him to increase his lead vs his draft cohort.

We shall see.

Last edited:
I would like to be able to answer other teams scoring drives early in games to keep the team close enough to have a chance to win. There were too many games where the other team was able to score, followed by a three and out, rinse and repeat. Soon the defense was overwhelmed and the Pats had no chance of digging out of the hole. Mac did demonstrate that he does not give up and made the final score closer than it could have been. Next year he needs to keep the team in games and give the defense to get its rhythm.

Isn't that what I said?
I took it as Tom the QB was responsible for the championship. His stats were not great for that game and the defense won that game. I hope Mac progresses more than that. Although, I would take a championship.

I took it as Tom the QB was responsible for the championship. His stats were not great for that game and the defense won that game. I hope Mac progresses more than that. Although, I would take a championship.
I think the offense was better than people give them credit for, quarterback stats in that era were definitely different than they are now...but Tom definitely made winning plays all season. If Mac takes that step, we should be happy

I was making no distinction. And even if Mac were to regress and still win a SB that works for me.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back