PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a difference a year makes - Goodell no longer just incompetent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
As the season starts consider your own perspective on the evolution of the NFL with the Commissioner himself polarizing the sport to unimagined levels of public and judicial attention

Basically from this year to last Goodell's gone from incompetent, to national hero, to now both incompetent AND corrupt. And the facts out there that prove this are indisputable. Just amazing to me that only a handful of reporters have figured this out. Maybe that changes if/when Berman issues his decision.

But just consider, this time last year we simply knew that Goodell was incompetent on the Ray Rice matter. Then we learned that Goodell was a liar, saying he didn't know Rice hit his wife in the elevator. A Judge effectively called him a liar

Then we have DeflateGate - a scandal that was indisputably initiated by the League - at the very least encouraged when it could have easily put out the flames with the actual truth, rather than fan them. Roger Goodell goes from 28% approval among NFL fans (80% of women NFL fans wanted him gone) to near universal approval in 31 NFL markets for going hard after Brady and presenting himself to the public of the champion of fairness - quite ironically.

Throughout this process we learn that Goodell is both incompetent and corrupt. Leaking, lying, providing misinformation - even failing to correctly operate a sting - however that blame may fall to Kensil, which of course brings up his role in this and perhaps other scandals (did he play a role in turning Spygate from a camera placement dispute to one in which the Patriots were presented as the only team that cheats by filming signals?

We have also learned the depths to which the NFL's funding stream to ESPN continues to reflect their journalistic integrity. Executives and reporters there are clearly cognizant who pays their salary, even if they are not acting on direct orders from the NFL fed through editors.

There's much more of this scandal that can be reflected upon. But despite the fact that some will always question Brady, thus far only one participant in this drama has been shown to be an outright liar - and that's Goodell and his minions.

As more credible reporters recognize this story for what it is - at a time of unparalleled success, Goodell flaunts his dictatorial powers gained by the CBA, is caught in a scandal of corruption and incompetence, all of which itself undermines the integrity of the game, and they are primed to lose the powers they gained in the last CBA given how power-crazy Goodell/Kensil et al have become

But let's not forget who is really pulling the strings here - the owners. The SHOULD fire Goodell under their own Article 8, yet they clearly don't WANT a commissioner of unquestioned integrity

As long as Goodell is the lightning rod for the owners he likely stays - but Goodell could not do what he has done and continues to do without the blessing of the owners.

Meanwhile the reputation of a man who is "more likely than not" innocent has been slandered throughout this fabricated scandal

Yes - we've come a long way - from the NFL being incompetent, to national heroes, now back to corrupt and incompetent - and now distracting Football Nation with this ridiculous drama at a time when we should be focused solely on football (gee, thanks Roger)

Honestly, we don't need a new commissioner - we need new owners. That much is clear.

Last edited:
It's clear that the owners only care about two things, making more money and their egos. And often they work in opposition to each other. The owners are so protective of their $$$ that they will allow RG to do anything out of fear that the NFLPA will gain leverage. Even though the next CBA bargaining is 4 years away, both sides are already digging in and looking for advantages/weakness. The biggest fear is that the players stand united long enough that it hurts the owners in their wallets.

The ego is all about short term reward. If RG weakens another team then it helps my team win. Owners feel good when their team wins. If RG brings bad publicity to another team, it helps me feel better about my team (even though I may be the worst owner or a scumbag as a human). If RG weakens the power of another owner then my power goes up and that makes me feel good.

It's clear that the owners only care about two things, making more money and their egos. And often they work in opposition to each other. The owners are so protective of their $$$ that they will allow RG to do anything out of fear that the NFLPA will gain leverage. Even though the next CBA bargaining is 4 years away, both sides are already digging in and looking for advantages/weakness. The biggest fear is that the players stand united long enough that it hurts the owners in their wallets.

The ego is all about short term reward. If RG weakens another team then it helps my team win. Owners feel good when their team wins. If RG brings bad publicity to another team, it helps me feel better about my team (even though I may be the worst owner or a scumbag as a human). If RG weakens the power of another owner then my power goes up and that makes me feel good.

The REALLY odd thing is that part of the reasons the owners were happy with Goodell was because he obtained major concession from the NFLPA

Ever since that time this egomaniac has been flaunting his dictatorial “right” to take that to extreme levels, even fabricating evidence when need be with sham “investigations”

There’s going to be a long strike before the NFLPA agrees to THAT again. So Roger, by abusing a power which could actually be GOOD in the hands of a competent, non-corrupt commissioner, is now sure to be lost

I just can’t figure out why the owners think Goodell’s done a good job in the last few years from getting caught lying under oath about Ray Rice to fabricating a scandal against the best player in the game to show the NFLPA who the boss is

I think we need new owners if this is the guy they think has “unquestioned integrity”

John Dowd, the guy who banned Pete Rose for life expands upon how Goodell and the owners themselves are undermining the game

https://medium.com/@JohnMDowd/why-deflategate-matters-69a2aeca826b

Stephanie Stradley's take cuts right to the heart of the matter

We can only hope these voices are heard in the coming days no matter what the outcome of the proceedings - but I'm confident Berman's ruling and remarks will be in line with Dowd's and Stradleys as while his ruling must be on procedure he's clearly hit upon the underlying issues and wants these things known

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...464365.php?t=64b979a157&cmpid=twitter-premium

Last edited:
Ive been saying this for years, when Rozell or Tagliabo were commissioners you heard from them maybe once a year. Goodell has Put himself in the news constantly for Eight years now. If hes not going after teams (the pats in particular) hes changing the rules and fining plays for minor violations, or things they can't control on the field. e.g. defensive players being fined for unnecessary roughness when they hit a receiver to high when the receiver ducked and put himself in that position. I've been saying he needed to go since he arrived.

There’s going to be a long strike before the NFLPA agrees to THAT again. So Roger, by abusing a power which could actually be GOOD in the hands of a competent, non-corrupt commissioner, is now sure to be lost

Dream on. What you say should happen, but it won't. Too many players are too financially illiterate/irresponsible to be able to withstand a long strike. They'll cave like always.

Then we have DeflateGate - a scandal that was indisputably initiated by the League - at the very least encouraged when it could have easily put out the flames with the actual truth, rather than fan them. Roger Goodell goes from 28% approval among NFL fans (80% of women NFL fans wanted him gone) to near universal approval in 31 NFL markets for going hard after Brady and presenting himself to the public of the champion of fairness - quite ironically.
And this speaks the sad truth about the "masses" that have short attention spans and always trumping the latest issue/non-issue. So going after Brady makes him more popular among people proves that opinions matter more than deeds.

hopefully, the league will get it's comeuppance with the Brady case and perhaps more of the national media will try to ascertain the truth of what defamegate really was. However, that doesn't sell advertising because it's not popular. Funny how people many people only care about the truth when it affects them. The majority only see the incident and not the system.

I sincerely hope some type of documentary is made about this one day in the future

I think an on line petition to the owners of the NFL to rid themselves of these parasites would be in order. I have no clue how to do this but imagine the support that petition would get. FireRogerGoodell.com? Sounds good to me.

I've made this point too, people seem to think the CBA is the problem. It makes sense to have a commissioner who is familiar with everything surrounding the sport to be able to discipline players. If the CBA demanded neutral arbitration then the arbitration process could get it wrong and be under scrutiny. Then we might be wondering why someone like Paul Tagliabue isn't handling appeals. Obviously today the CBA looks like the bad guy. A CBA shouldn't need to be drafted in language to prevent any kind of abuse from a corrupt commissioner, so you can understand how this whole situation got to where it is today.

I wish the NFLPA would just strike.

Dream on. What you say should happen, but it won't. Too many players are too financially illiterate/irresponsible to be able to withstand a long strike. They'll cave like always.

Your point isn't without merit, but I don't even think the issue of the CBA granting Goodell the right to conduct blatantly unfair hearings and implement punishments without even a modicum of due process - as called for under the CBA - will even make it as far as the next CBA

It will be decided one way or another before then as it has already made clear that the NFL lacks the ability to be trusted with the right to "independently" investigate and meter out punishment

I'm only making an educated guess from years of working with judges but Berman strikes me as a judge who is fed up with an NFL that is clogging up federal courts because he can't follow basic tenants of fairness

Berman has laid a strong foundation to call on the NFL to clean up its act WELL before the next CBA negotiation comes around

Whether it's by strike, lawsuit or negotiation the NFLPA won't subject themselves to an NFL version of justice in the future. Goodell and the owners effectively abdicated that right by conducting the Brady sting and investigation so blatantly and obviously unfairly

Last edited:

I guess paychecks must be more important than principles. The owners have consistently exploited this with the players accepting long term pain in return for short term gain.

It's never going to change.

I sincerely hope some type of documentary is made about this one day in the future

My hope is John Oliver - who will make a mockery of Goodell - will do a feature once the Judge's decision comes down. Either that or this is prime for Bryant Gumble and Real Sports on HBO. They might have Hard Knocks but I don't see Gumble being bought off like ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots