PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What’s our cap space situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm posting this in this thread for now, because the first thing I did was to check out how much the Eagles paid him in 2017, and how much they might be able to re-sign him for.

Which is when I discover that, at the moment, the Eagles are already $9.28M OVER THE CAP, according to, well, overthecap.com:

Philadelphia Eagles Salary Cap | Over the Cap

After scrolling through the list of their current contracts, I came to the conclusion that they're pretty much screwed. I don't see how they're going to be able to even get under the cap without cutting some key players and/or significantly re-structuring several others who are on fairly recently signed contracts.

I really want us to go after Bradham. Probably by number one FA target for us this year.

After the first series Rowe was mostly fine. He allowed that amazing catch for a TD where he might have been able to PBU it if he would time his jump better but apart from that he played well the rest of the night.

And before you point me towards coverage stats. This is what they say.
Rowe competed, but was overmatched at times. He really had a bit of everything in that game. Had some key pass breakups as well.

So, cutting Bennett, Allen and Harris would save close to $12 million bringing cap space to about $25 million? Am I reading that right?
Easy come, easy go.

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Nate Solder
2017 NFL Season
Base Salary - $6,500,000
Roster Bonus - $500,000
Workout Bonus - $31,000
Total Cash Expenditure = $7,031,000

Nate Solder Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Note: Nate Solder's cash expenditure does not take into account a $4,166,667 prorated signing bonus.

Danny Amendola
2017 NFL Season
Base Salary - $1,250,000
Roster Bonus - $300,000
Workout Bonus - $50,000
Total Cash Expenditure = $1,600,000

Danny Amendola Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Note: Danny Amendola's cash expenditure does not take into account a $1,516,667 prorated signing bonus.

Matthew Slater
2017 NFL Season
Base Salary - $900,000
Signing Bonus - $300,000
Roster Bonus - $300,000
Other (Pro Bowl Selection) - $200,000
Total Cash Expenditure - $1,700,000

Matt Slater Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Nate Ebner
2017 NFL Season
Base Salary - $825,000
Roster Bonus - $125,000
Total Cash Expenditure = $950,000

Nate Ebner Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Note: Nate Ebner's cash expenditure does not take into account a $250,000 prorated signing bonus.

That does even take into consideration unrestricted free agents Lewis, Burkhead, Bolden, Fleming, Waddle, Flowers, Bademosi or restricted free agent King.

I did not even list Malcolm Butler (persona non grata) for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
I really want us to go after Bradham. Probably by number one FA target for us this year.
Bradham Trent Murphy retain Marquis Flowers and sign Zach Brown.
Get Hightower and Rivers and Valentine back problems solved.

So, cutting Bennett, Allen and Harris would save close to $12 million bringing cap space to about $25 million? Am I reading that right?
Potential New England Patriots salary cap savings:

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Salary Cap Casualties
Bennett, Martellus - $6,187,500
Allen, Dwayne - $5,000,000
Branch, Alan - $3,550,000
Harris, David - $2,125,000
Britt, Kenny - $1,453,125
Total = $18,315,625

Salary Cap Expenditures
2017 NFL Season
Solder, Nate - $11,197,667
Amendola, Danny - $3,116,667
Slater, Matthew - $1,700,000
Ebner, Nate - $1,200,000
Total - $17,214,334

Nate Solder Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Danny Amendola Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Matt Slater Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Nate Ebner Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Howe: Indepth look at Patriots’ roster, decisions to be made

Bradham Trent Murphy retain Marquis Flowers and sign Zach Brown.
Get Hightower and Rivers and Valentine back problems solved.

Even after the Alex Smith deal is complete and goes on the books for the 'Skins, they should still have enough cap space to re-sign Brown, Murphy, Luavao and Breeland, and others.

I really liked Murphy for the Pats in the 2014 draft as an OLB/DE type, but I don't think the 'Skins will let him (or Brown) walk.

Hightower's injury was a torn pectoral. Rivers' injury was a torn ACL. Valentine's was an unspecified "knee injury".

They won't pay everybody
One or two of those guys may come free.
If I could choose it be Brown

They won't pay everybody
One or two of those guys may come free.
If I could choose it be Brown

- Brown was the 'Skins' leading tackler in 2017.
- Breeland has averaged 2 INTs, 15 PDs and 66 total tackles in his four seasons with the 'Skins.
- In 2016, Murphy was the perfect bookend to Kerrigan in the 'Skins 3-4 and they accounted for 30 of the Skin's 38 sacks between the two of them.

The Skins' will have the cap space to sign all three, even at relatively premium rates, which the Pats can't pay, anyway.

But is he really a 3/$36m player? That's a question that the Patriots have to answer from their perspective. I don't think he's worth that, but the OLT FA market has nothing in it, as of now, and the Patriots will have to take that into account.

Id have the 3rd year as like an option year that they could cut bait from.. but as you said, the market for LT is pretty bare, so I think you go with Solder for consistency even if you have to pay a bit more than you'd like given that Brady is going to be 41 next year

They should definitely be looking for a replacement in the draft, not sure how Garcia will turn out for them from last year

Even after the Alex Smith deal is complete and goes on the books for the 'Skins, they should still have enough cap space to re-sign Brown, Murphy, Luavao and Breeland, and others.
If I remember correctly and aren’t thinking of someone else, you were my binky buddy in terms of wanting Brashad Breeland, bad as hell. Wouldn’t it be something if we ended up with him opposite Gilmore? Wow. This is the first time I’m even giving that consideration, and you’ve somehow managed to squash my dreams almost immediately. Thanks for nothing. :cool:

But is he really a 3/$36m player? That's a question that the Patriots have to answer from their perspective. I don't think he's worth that, but the OLT FA market has nothing in it, as of now, and the Patriots will have to take that into account.
Like you said, his familiarity here and lack of options at LT in the free agent pool will drive the price higher than he’s worth. This may be a rare time when Belichick may be inclined to overpay a bit, considering these circumstances. We’ll find out soon enough.

I agree with you that Solder is not worth 3/36, but the 12m dollar AAV doesn’t look nearly as bad to me at 2/24, so perhaps that may be a possibility? I believe that I had read something a couple of months back regarding some mutual interest on another shorter term 1-2 year deal. Fingers crossed that we may be able to keep him on long enough to help develop what should be a top 1-2 round draft pick, taken in April.

They should definitely be looking for a replacement in the draft, not sure how Garcia will turn out for them from last year
Lots of unknowns with Garcia, although it sounds like a step in the right direction in terms of him attending film study seshes late in the season. If he’s able to put a steady 7-10 lbs per month on, he could compete for a backup role in TC.

It would be great to retain one of Waddle/Fleming, but the market will likely price them out of our acceptable value range. Definitely need to address OT in the coming draft. I wonder if we could see a trade out of day one and end up with one of those load up jobs in the 2/3 rounds that Belichick has been famous for?

If I remember correctly and aren’t thinking of someone else, you were my binky buddy in terms of wanting Brashad Breeland, bad as hell. Wouldn’t it be something if we ended up with him opposite Gilmore? Wow. This is the first time I’m even giving that consideration, and you’ve somehow managed to squash my dreams almost immediately. Thanks for nothing. :cool:

Yeah, Breeland has been very good opposite Norman. But . . . . $$$

Local D.C. and national sports media types appear to be assuming that the Skins will let Breeland walk and to have pegged his market value at "Gilmore and above" ($13M APY or higher).

I mean, yeah, I understand the popular notion that, "BB spent that on Gilmore. Why wouldn't he do it again?" Obviously, this year's cap space situation is different, to begin with. Secondly, I really have no idea how BB and the coaches view the sum of their assets at CB (or at DB in general for that matter).

Just my guessing:
- Butler tests the market, but probably doesn't leave without the Pats having made another offer.
- Rowe hasn't been consistent (much less consistently healthy).
- Jon Jones made a great leap in 2017 before he got hurt.
- Bademosi (UFA) is a great ST-er , and showed he's a more capable emergency reserve (at CB, not safety - obviously) than such ST guys typically have been.
- The Pats apparently like Ryan Lewis (P-squad) a lot.
- Cy Jones - who knows? Best case scenario might be another Bademosi type.

- Amerson is making the rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats have him in for a visit (due diligence, if nothing else).
- Vontae Davis (30) is out there.
- Patrick Robinson (30) is coming off (nearly) a career season in Philly at $775k.

Anyway, the Pats have 5 CBs with game experience in the system (plus Ryan Lewis), and Chung, McCourty and Harmon as thoroughly-vetted DBs, so maybe this is the year that BB goes after another high draftee at CB or even safety (again!), especially if the Big Nickel (with only 2 CBs) is going to become the standard package.

Yeah, Breeland has been very good opposite Norman. But . . . . $$$

Local D.C. and national sports media types appear to be assuming that the Skins will let Breeland walk and to have pegged his market value at "Gilmore and above" ($13M APY or higher).

I mean, yeah, I understand the popular notion that, "BB spent that on Gilmore. Why wouldn't he do it again?" Obviously, this year's cap space situation is different, to begin with. Secondly, I really have no idea how BB and the coaches view the sum of their assets at CB (or at DB in general for that matter).

Just my guessing:
- Butler tests the market, but probably doesn't leave without the Pats having made another offer.
- Rowe hasn't been consistent (much less consistently healthy).
- Jon Jones made a great leap in 2017 before he got hurt.
- Bademosi (UFA) is a great ST-er , and showed he's a more capable emergency reserve (at CB, not safety - obviously) than such ST guys typically have been.
- The Pats apparently like Ryan Lewis (P-squad) a lot.
- Cy Jones - who knows? Best case scenario might be another Bademosi type.

- Amerson is making the rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats have him in for a visit (due diligence, if nothing else).
- Vontae Davis (30) is out there.
- Patrick Robinson (30) is coming off (nearly) a career season in Philly at $775k.

Anyway, the Pats have 5 CBs with game experience in the system (plus Ryan Lewis), and Chung, McCourty and Harmon as thoroughly-vetted DBs, so maybe this is the year that BB goes after another high draftee at CB or even safety (again!), especially if the Big Nickel (with only 2 CBs) is going to become the standard package.

You think the Patriots will try to keep Butler?

I see zero chance of that.

Lots of unknowns with Garcia, although it sounds like a step in the right direction in terms of him attending film study seshes late in the season. If he’s able to put a steady 7-10 lbs per month on, he could compete for a backup role in TC.

It would be great to retain one of Waddle/Fleming, but the market will likely price them out of our acceptable value range. Definitely need to address OT in the coming draft. I wonder if we could see a trade out of day one and end up with one of those load up jobs in the 2/3 rounds that Belichick has been famous for?

I want them to take their first round pick. If anything I’d like to see them package a future pick to move up.

Last edited:
You think the Patriots will try to keep Butler?

I see zero chance of that.

I think there's a chance that they have an offer on the table for Butler by early March. Might be a "take-it-or-shove-it" sorta offer, but still.

I think there's a chance that they have an offer on the table for Butler by early March. Might be a "take-it-or-shove-it" sorta offer, but still.

I would be shocked if they made any attempt at all. They didn’t burn that bridge they cremated it.

I want them to take their first round pick. If anything I’d like to see them package a future pick to move up.

Is there one worth trading up for? Doesn't seem like a particularly top-heavy OT draft class to me.

I would be shocked if they made any attempt at all. They didn’t burn that bridge they cremated it.

Maybe. All we really know for a fact is how Butler expressed his own feelings immediately after the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes