PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What’s our cap space situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I notice we currently don’t have the highest cap number, and are on the lower end of total cap space compared to other teams.

What are some of the big cap space saving cuts that we can make this offseason? We’ll need a few even with salary cap inflation.

EDIT: here’s some of the cap savings moves we can make, per Miguel:
7AE1EE17-455E-4AB3-8E6B-4B8C48578F61.jpeg

2209DD73-80BE-486B-AD8F-6307B64D7259.jpeg

90861936-6CC5-45B4-9070-1007E6A2936F.jpeg

62453664-9DE7-4DCA-B241-FB6F07025494.jpeg

427AE08A-EE02-46D2-A4D9-5C7FAD6B2DB3.jpeg

57B38569-B485-4C11-8CC8-7629B4080D4C.jpeg

FE336B2B-0B79-4851-BB9C-15643A16C52F.jpeg

46D9F33F-9C7D-411A-8665-EA8B58617042.jpeg

Last edited:
I just did some research, Miguel has pinned to his Twitter very useful information on potential cap saving moves.
The guy is a G.

Just giving you a hard time BTW. I'm curious as well.

I notice we currently don’t have the highest cap number, and are on the lower end of total cap space compared to other teams.

What are some of the big cap space saving cuts that we can make this offseason? We’ll need a few even with salary cap inflation.

EDIT: here’s some of the cap savings moves we can make, per Miguel:
View attachment 19575

View attachment 19576

View attachment 19577

View attachment 19578

View attachment 19579

View attachment 19580

View attachment 19581

View attachment 19582
things rough now, since we will likely need to over pay to keep free agents and get new ones to play for this coach

Shae McClellan 3.1m hit
Approx 2.3m savings

things rough now, since we will likely need to over pay to keep free agents and get new ones to play for this coach
Yes, no one would ever want to come to Foxborough to play in the annual Tom Brady invitational for the greatest coach in the history of the game. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I like Dorsett, but...

Why did we trade Brissett?

We knew things were coming to a head with Jimmy G.

We could sure use Brissett right now... one less position to worry about in the draft.

Shae McClellan 3.1m hit
Approx 2.3m savings
Looks like that was one that was missed.

Out of all the potential cut options above, Branch is the one that I’d call 100%. Think he’s gone.

I also think they keep one of Allen and Marty (unless Gronk retires) and I think they cut at least one of Britt/Dorsett, possibly both.

Lastly, while I hope they cut Jordan Richards, one can only dream at this point. :cool:

Any cap guys have a guess to how much can be freed up by restructuring guys(simple easy/obvious moves)? I assume Brady gets another redo that saves us and gives him cash upfront.

I like Dorsett, but...

Why did we trade Brissett?

We knew things were coming to a head with Jimmy G.

We could sure use Brissett right now... one less position to worry about in the draft.

He was traded because he had no future as his "skillset" does not fit this team at all. Instead we got Cooks insurance which manifested itself in the SB when despite Cooks going out we could still use the same type of playcalls with Dorsett running the route.

Last edited:
He was traded because he had no future as his "skillset" does not fit this team at all. Instead we got Cooks insurance which manifested itself in the SB when despite Cooks going out we could still use the same amount of playcalls with Dorsett running the route.
I am optimistic in what a full offseason may do for Dorsett. Any way you look at it, he’s here through the preseason at the very least. Absolutely no need to cut him to save 1 million dollars.

I also think they keep one of Allen and Marty (unless Gronk retires) and I think they cut at least one of Britt/Dorsett, possibly both.

Marty is gone. Even if he decides not retire afterall, I doubt that the Pats would pay his bonus.

Allen has been a good piece and with the rising cap is on an "ok" contract for someone that played over 40% of snaps this year.

Dorsett will not be cut because they still have him on the cheap for the next year. There is no reason at all to cut him if you save next to no money and have over 90 roster spots.

Britt looks like MM insurance / camp body to me.

Marty is gone. Even if he decides not retire afterall, I doubt that the Pats would pay his bonus.

Allen has been a good piece and with the rising cap is on an "ok" contract for someone that played over 40% of snaps this year.

Dorsett will not be cut because they still have him on the cheap for the next year. There is no reason at all to cut him because you save next to no money.

Britt looks like MM insurance / camp body to me.
Agree with most of this, think they’ll value Allen’s blocking ability, and that they like Dorsett enough to keep around.

I’m not for sure that they’ll keep Britt though but we’ll see.

I am optimistic in what a full offseason may do for Dorsett. Any way you look at it, he’s here through the preseason at the very least. Absolutely no need to cut him to save 1 million dollars.

To me he is among the most interesting stories next summer. I think he is not much slower than Cooks but considerably more elusive in space. If he can put it all together and make Brady actually throw to him he could get Cooks' contract in 2019 because he is more versatile and most probably cheaper.

I don't think it is very probable but the potential is there.

Agree with most of this, think they’ll value Allen’s blocking ability, and that they like Dorsett enough to keep around.

I’m not for sure that they’ll keep Britt though but we’ll see.

I am not sure we are talking about the same point in time in terms of cuts. I am talking about pre-FA cuts when the roster is still 90+. Are you talking about the same or about the post TC cuts to 53 ?

Because I see no reason to get rid of Britt before TC.

Branch, Harris, McClellin, Bennett out. Maybe Gillislee. Restructure Allen. Maybe dont resign Slater, he is 33 in September. But above everything else - SEVER ALL TIES WITH RICHARDS AND ROBERTS. I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown when I see either of them on the field, let alone both at the same time.

I am not sure we are talking about the same point in time in terms of cuts. I am talking about pre-FA cuts when the roster is still 90+. Are you talking about the same or about the post TC cuts to 53 ?

Because I see no reason to get rid of Britt before TC.
I see what you’re saying. I suppose Britt’s cap number is low enough to warrant giving him a shot in TC next summer.

Miguel is fantastic. If we restructure both (Allen and Bennet) that cap will increase $6,500,000. I would rather keep both of them and use all our draft capital on D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes