Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who's more deserving of HOF consideration?

• Welker

• Edelman

Results are only viewable after voting.

crawhammer

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Edelman came up in the other thread so it got me thinking about the comparison between Wes Welker and Julian Edelman. And who's more deserving of HOF consideration?

Welker
4x Pro Bowl
2x first team All Pro
1x second team All Pro
3x NFL leader in rec
5 seasons >110 rec
5 seasons >1100 yds
9924 career yds (52nd all-time)
50 career TD (134th all-time)
Postseason: 13 games, 0 SB rings, 88 rec, 866 yds, 5 TD

Edelman
0 Pro Bowl
0 first team All Pro
0 second team All Pro
0 NFL leader in rec
0 seasons >110 rec
2 seasons >1100 yds
6822 career yds (164th all-time)
36 career TD (264th all-time)
Postseason: 19 games, 3 SB rings (1 SB MVP), 118 rec, 1442 yds, 5 TD

Brady and Moss were f***ing surreal for one unbelievable season but the Brady to Welker connection is the best I've ever seen over a sustained period of time. Welker was a durable SOB too with all the vicious shots he took over the middle. Perhaps my all-time favorite receiver... that one SB drop was a killer though.

Edelman was balls in the postseason. My personal favorite SB victory against Seattle he was a beast in that magical 4th quarter. Edelman's postseason superlatives obviously are a significant advantage in this debate whereas Welker has an overwhelming advantage otherwise. It's really, really close but ultimately for me Welker has the slight edge over Edelman. However, they're both equally great stories of dedication, toughness, and perseverance.

AS mush as everyone hates Welker he was the 1st player in NFL history with 5 seasons over 100 receptions. In his prime his was unstoppable even when the other team knew the pats were going to him.

On top of that his Durability was unmatched. Took crushing hit after hit after hit and just got up. Must have been made of Rubber.

As much as I like JE and that he can be mentioned in the same sentence as Stickey Rice and has a comparable career and better playoff stats then HOF Branch I gotta give WW the nod.

He did something nobody ever did before. That is special.

Welker had no equal and deserves to be in the HOF. Mac Jones could use a Welker right now.

The hall is about unique talent and/or gaudy stats. Edelman is special to us but has no shot at the Hall.

Impossible for Edelman to get to Canton. Though he would be first ballot for pats HOF.

Troy Brown certainly was versatile but I don't think he was productive enough at this primary position to be consider the best of anything in Patriots history. Deservedly a fan favorite though and he really bridged the Bledsoe era with the early Brady/Dynasty 1.0 era.

I'm curious about your comment that "everyone hates Welker." I suppose perhaps I'm unaware that's a thing... Is it?

Troy Brown certainly was versatile but I don't think he was productive enough at this primary position to be consider the best of anything in Patriots history. Deservedly a fan favorite though and he really bridged the Bledsoe era with the early Brady/Dynasty 1.0 era.
He was not an Elite WR but a darn good one and reliable and clutch. But he was an outstanding ST player and when asked to pinch hit at CB to cover this guy named Donald Driver (Who was the leading NFC receiver) Troy shut him down completely. You have to be a pretty darn good all- around football player to be able to step up in an instant and play at Darelle Revis level in a completely unnatural position against an elite talent. Nobody was as versatile.

Maybe Neon Deion who had what, one good season as a WR. Maybe he could have had more if he played more there.

I'm curious about your comment that "everyone hates Welker." I suppose perhaps I'm unaware that's a thing... Is it?
It is. I am not sure its everyone but there is a large contingent here that completely write off his amazing career because of one drop.

Speaking of Welker, he's in Miami now as the WR coach...

JE was essentially Troy Brown 2.0 which is about the highest compliment I can give him as I think TB was the best all around football player the Pats ever had.
This is like Batman V Superman. It's stupid and they belong together as teammates.

Troy & Squirrel don't make the HOF. But they earned their rings.

So did Francis, Grogan et al. in 1976. They were just stolen and given to a Fraiders team that couldn't beat us. Not fairly, anyway.

HOF Welker but its close.
My Heart. Edelman
Welker had the better all around career but Edelman had a do or die mentality especially in the playoffs. He made some undeniably game saving plays in them. The guy was a force. If HOF voters valued that then he'd get in

Last edited:
Welker had the better all around career but Edelman had a do or mentality especially in the playoffs. He made some undeniably game saving plays in them. The guy was a force.
He was a patriots legend. Neither are Canton worthy imo.

To put it another way. Edelman is a Patriots HOFer. The other guy doesnt make it.

He was a patriots legend. Neither are Canton worthy imo.

To put it another way. Edelman is a Patriots HOFer. The other guy doesnt make it.
AAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wes at least belongs in the Pats' HOF.

Yikes!!!

BTW we need to include return yardage for both players

Welker
4x Pro Bowl
2x first team All Pro
1x second team All Pro
3x NFL leader in rec
5 seasons >110 rec
5 seasons >1100 yds
9924 career yds (52nd all-time)
50 career TD (134th all-time)
Postseason: 13 games, 0 SB rings, 88 rec, 866 yds, 5 TD
Return yards:6,722

Edelman
0 Pro Bowl
0 first team All Pro
0 second team All Pro
0 NFL leader in rec
0 seasons >110 rec
2 seasons >1100 yds
6822 career yds (164th all-time)
36 career TD (264th all-time)
Postseason: 19 games, 3 SB rings (1 SB MVP), 118 rec, 1442 yds, 5 TD
Return yards:2,612

Just shows you what Pro Bowls and MVPs and yada yada yadas are worth.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back