Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who's more deserving of HOF consideration?

• Welker

• Edelman

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not even remotely close. Welker obviously. People look at individual catches and final scores and completely dismiss all other production/lack there of. It's laughable.

Edelman’s superb SB play directly led to 3 championships (Seahawks, Falcons, Rams)

Welker cost us one SB (Giants)

I would rather have Jules in his prime
The Defense could've stopped the Giants from scoring. Thus making Welker's drop (Not a simple catch) moot. Just like the Saints could've stopped the Rams from a game tying FG in the playoffs. Or not throw a pick in OT. Thus making the non call moot.

There's no guarantee the Patriots run out the clock with a catch there. Up to that point, the offense was stymied.

Edelman's 3rd and 15 catch isn't remembered if Seattle scores the game winning TD.

Unfortunately sports is a bottom line business where it seems one play is magnified if a team wins or loses. It's unfair at times. But I get it.

The Defense could've stopped the Giants from scoring. Thus making Welker's drop (Not a simple catch) moot. Just like the Saints could've stopped the Rams from a game tying FG in the playoffs. Or not throw a pick in OT. Thus making the non call moot.

There's no guarantee the Patriots run out the clock with a catch there. Up to that point, the offense was stymied.

Edelman's 3rd and 15 catch isn't remembered if Seattle scores the game winning TD.

Unfortunately sports is a bottom line business where it seems one play is magnified if a team wins or loses. It's unfair at times. But I get it.
No moot at all. But you're right it's a bottom line business, not an if not for this and if not for that business

As a personality, Edelman was Robin to Brady’s Batman. Walker not so much, plus he dropped the past (butterfingers), plus he opened his mouth too much and went to play with Manning (turncoat). Benefitted from being on the team with Moss. Love Edelman, respect Welker.

Welker gave the greatest press conference of all time.
Without that press conference, there's a very high chance the Patriots win the SB that year.

I believe they beat the Jets easily. But that presser possibly gave them more motivation than the Patriots wanted.

2010 Patriots were far and away the best team in the league.

Fair or not, and imo it isn't necessarily fair, these two players will be judged on a few moments in the postseason.

Welker's drop in the SB.

Edelman's 3rd and 15 catch when the offense was sputtering and time was running out. And Edelman's catch against Atlanta.

Overall? I think Welker was better.

But the PO moments will undoubtedly cloud opinions.

I'm a defense first fan and the only player shirt I've ever bought from the offense side of the ball is Edelman. He was a linebacker running routes.
Welker deserves it more but I'd rather have JE11 on my team.

Edelman came up in the other thread so it got me thinking about the comparison between Wes Welker and Julian Edelman. And who's more deserving of HOF consideration?

Welker
4x Pro Bowl
2x first team All Pro
1x second team All Pro
3x NFL leader in rec
5 seasons >110 rec
5 seasons >1100 yds
9924 career yds (52nd all-time)
50 career TD (134th all-time)
Postseason: 13 games, 0 SB rings, 88 rec, 866 yds, 5 TD

Edelman
0 Pro Bowl
0 first team All Pro
0 second team All Pro
0 NFL leader in rec
0 seasons >110 rec
2 seasons >1100 yds
6822 career yds (164th all-time)
36 career TD (264th all-time)
Postseason: 19 games, 3 SB rings (1 SB MVP), 118 rec, 1442 yds, 5 TD

Brady and Moss were f***ing surreal for one unbelievable season but the Brady to Welker connection is the best I've ever seen over a sustained period of time. Welker was a durable SOB too with all the vicious shots he took over the middle. Perhaps my all-time favorite receiver... that one SB drop was a killer though.

Edelman was balls in the postseason. My personal favorite SB victory against Seattle he was a beast in that magical 4th quarter. Edelman's postseason superlatives obviously are a significant advantage in this debate whereas Welker has an overwhelming advantage otherwise. It's really, really close but ultimately for me Welker has the slight edge over Edelman. However, they're both equally great stories of dedication, toughness, and perseverance.
I never considered a ball thrown to the wrong side that he had to turn around, go airborne for, catch while falling backwards, and the ball comes out when he hits the ground, a drop. I know I am in the minority here, but it was almost an amazing catch of a bad pass. BTW love them both, but Troy was the OG, too!

If it's been a minute, watch some Welker highlights. His route running was truly out of this world.

I never considered a ball thrown to the wrong side that he had to turn around, go airborne for, catch while falling backwards, and the ball comes out when he hits the ground, a drop. I know I am in the minority here, but it was almost an amazing catch of a bad pass. BTW love them both, but Troy was the OG, too!
Not only was it not a great throw. But that was only 2nd down. They still had 3rd down.

Even Brady on his show says they had 3rd down and didn't get it done.

The other thing I think people forget is the Brady factor. Brady made ok wrs good and good ones great

While JE was awesome we will never know how good he was with other QBs in other systems

Welker was great with 5 different quarterbacks in 3 different systems

We all want JE but just being objective about WW

except er well... Ohh this is awkward. you know.....

except er well... Ohh this is awkward. you know.....

Such moments tend to define careers. Rightly or wrongly.

Only for those who are clueless about what actually happened

Welker hate on here is sheer comedy
I'm not seeing it.

WWW should be in the Pats and NFL HOF. Maybe his coaching career will help the latter.

I'm not seeing it.

WWW should be in the Pats and NFL HOF. Maybe his coaching career will help the latter.
Check out the other thread. 1986

Forum wide. The guy is trashed

One poster actually said that WW wasn’t some elite talent just some guy who could run 6 yards and catch a ball

Both are more deserving than Edgerrin James.

Welker's stats are top shelf and he is undoubtedly the better NFL HOF candidate...but goddammit, if Edelman wasn't the most aboslutely clutch receiver I've ever seen in the playoffs. We're a spoiled fanbase to have this debate center around two guys who played for us.

let me put it slightly differently. Edelman V Welker for Pats HOF. Who wins?

Edelman. And it isn't even close.
They both go in. No need to hate on Wes by saying its not even close.

The other thing I think people forget is the Brady factor. Brady made ok wrs good and good ones great

While JE was awesome we will never know how good he was with other QBs in other systems

Welker was great with 5 different quarterbacks in 3 different systems

We all want JE but just being objective about WW

Also, Welker produced a crazy season with Matt Cassell.

Edit: got my name's wrong whoops

If it's the SB and I have to choose one, it's JE .

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back