Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who's more deserving of HOF consideration?

• Welker

• Edelman

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wes Welker has an outside shot at the hall. Edelman will never get remotely close. His only chance was if he ran to Tampa when Brady left, won a 4th Super Bowl with him as a major contributor (he wouldn't be with Gronk, Evans, Godwin, and AB there). Then maybe you could make a weaker version of the Lynn Swann argument (he still wouldn't have the single All Pro).

let me put it slightly differently. Edelman V Welker for Pats HOF. Who wins?

Edelman. And it isn't even close.

Yup. JE11 just might be my favorite Patriot, a self-made player who essentially came out of nowhere to be a true game-changer. Being second to Jerry Rice in all-time postseason receiving yards is pretty impressive, illustrating how clutch he was.

Kind of shocked that Edelman got shunned like that in some areas…..both were legendary…..but I would give a DEFINITE slight edge to Edelman…..because Jules did more with less talent at WR than Welker had…….simple as that for me

Love both players but i'll take JE11 in playoff games.
So would I, but I wouldn’t put him into the Hall before Welker. Welker doing what he did here made it possible for Edelman to even have a career.

Edelman has zero shot. Nada. Zip! He was a part of teams that went to 6 straight AFCCG’s and 4 Super Bowl appearances. So he had many opportunities to make plays in big games. But his regular season numbers were pedestrian. If he was on bad to mediocre teams, he’d be irrelevant.

Ditto with Welker. He was that random annoying player with Miami who was cut by SD, but not well known until he played with Tom Brady. Welker racked up stats during his time in NE, but only went to two AFCCG’s and one Super Bowl due to the team’s major deficiencies on D holding them back. Although those drops in the 2011 Super Bowl and 2012 AFCCG were brutal, it was not the reason they lost.

Welker easily wins 3 had he started when JE did in 2013. If I had to chose, it would be Welker.

I've never seen a more gung-ho, clutch, loyal patriot (especially to Brady) than Edelman. His career means more to the franchise than Welker's.

But if you are telling the story of the NFL, Welker and his dominance in the slot is much more significant.

Welker was the greatest slot receiver to ever play the game. He revolutionized how offense is played.

But Edelman IS football history. You can tell the story of the game without Welker. You cannot tell it without Edelman.

I've never seen a more gung-ho, clutch, loyal patriot (especially to Brady) than Edelman. His career means more to the franchise than Welker's.

But if you are telling the story of the NFL, Welker and his dominance in the slot is much more significant.
Wow, you posted this just as I was typing the opposite.

Wow, you posted this just as I was typing the opposite.
I just feel that the evolution of the slot receiver owes more to Welker. He changed the game.

Edelman helped the pats win championships.

There have been many first ballot HOFers who never won a championship.

Edelman has zero shot. Nada. Zip! He was a part of teams that went to 6 straight AFCCG’s and 4 Super Bowl appearances. So he had many opportunities to make plays in big games. But his regular season numbers were pedestrian. If he was on bad to mediocre teams, he’d be irrelevant.

Ditto with Welker. He was that random annoying player with Miami who was cut by SD, but not well known until he played with Tom Brady. Welker racked up stats during his time in NE, but only went to two AFCCG’s and one Super Bowl due to the team’s major deficiencies on D holding them back. Although those drops in the 2011 Super Bowl and 2012 AFCCG were brutal, it was not the reason they lost.

Welker easily wins 3 had he started when JE did in 2013. If I had to chose, it would be Welker.
The fact that Edelman had more opportunities doesn't mean he doesn't get credit for delivering.

The fact that Edelman had more opportunities doesn't mean he doesn't get credit for delivering.
The notion that Welker didn't deliver is absurd. Welker's catch percentage in the playoffs is a full 10% higher than Edelman's, and he had 18 catches on 22 targets in his two Patriots Super Bowl appearances. Welker gets punished for a drop, and because the team didn't win for a long stretch of time, some of which coincided with his being on the team. Somehow, Welker (a WR, not a QB) gets graded down for team failure. And that's mostly because Edelman's "bad" plays were, in the end, overshadowed by final scores which went the Patriots way (even with the great catch, he had just 5 catches on 13 targets in that Atlanta SB, for example).

Welker's catch percentage in the playoffs is a full 10% higher than Edelman's, and he had 18 catches on 22 targets in his two Patriots Super Bowl appearances.
except er well... Ohh this is awkward. you know.....

he had just 5 catches on 13 targets in that Atlanta SB, for example).
except er well... Ohh this is awkward. you know.....

Such moments tend to define careers. Rightly or wrongly.

Edelman was balls in the postseason.
Are you misusing this expression because you think it means he was good or are you actually calling Edelman bad in the post season?

He was not an Elite WR but a darn good one and reliable and clutch. But he was an outstanding ST player and when asked to pinch hit at CB to cover this guy named Donald Driver (Who was the leading NFC receiver) Troy shut him down completely. You have to be a pretty darn good all- around football player to be able to step up in an instant and play at Darelle Revis level in a completely unnatural position against an elite talent. Nobody was as versatile.

Maybe Neon Deion who had what, one good season as a WR. Maybe he could have had more if he played more there.

It is. I am not sure its everyone but there is a large contingent here that completely write off his amazing career because of one drop.
I agree on Welker's treatment.

As for Troy Brown, he was as under-rated as any player could be and did everything well. I felt bad for some of his victims on punt returns.

Yup. JE11 just might be my favorite Patriot, a self-made player who essentially came out of nowhere to be a true game-changer. Being second to Jerry Rice in all-time postseason receiving yards is pretty impressive, illustrating how clutch he was.
If it wasn't for Troy I'd be right with you.

There's a certain skill that a few players have and JE was best at it, finding and getting to the open spaces. He was also as tough as they come. I think his dad Frank played a part in that.

If it wasn't for Troy I'd be right with you.

There's a certain skill that a few players have and JE was best at it, finding and getting to the open spaces. He was also as tough as they come. I think his dad Frank played a part in that.

I think we all have a bit of recency bias on that. It is what my heart wants to say, as well. But in reality, Troy Brown began that expertise here and Welker took it to another level. By the time Edelman came along, he was studying what Welker and the Pats' coaches had invented. The options were baked into the offense. Its like all those guys doing Shaun White's moves now, and expanding on them.

JE is just more easy to root for as a person. But that isn't what the question is about.

Edelman’s superb SB play directly led to 3 championships (Seahawks, Falcons, Rams)

Welker cost us one SB (Giants)

I would rather have Jules in his prime

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back