PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker Speculation thread (pure opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is talking about a big man, I think that leaves Wes Welker out of the mix now doesn't it. But then again, that doesn't describe Mike Wallace either.

I hope, this thread has made me paranoid...

Not the ostrich with the head in the sand either again.

There it goes again. Someone posts a legitimate zing and the retort is a personal zing...

good news, i just read somewhere that irsay is looking at obtaining a CB....:)

Not the ostrich with the head in the sand either again.

Right. I is entirely naive, ignorant and obtuse to not recognize that the way Brady was standing on the sidelines is a clear indication that he is unhappy, and without any doubt he is unhappy because he has been told that Wes Welker is being traded.
How could I ignore such an obvious sign.:rolleyes:

Tom looked uncomfortable during the game without Welker, and was stoic, if not peeved, standing by himself late in the game.

Maybe he knows what may be going down.

Actually, I read lips. :eek:

I played the Tape back a few times, and I can actually tell you what he was saying, there:​

"Not ANOTHER #$%&ing 'Trade Welker' Thread!! #$%& ME!!"

bradymad.jpg

Cant say that I think this will go down because it wont. But it had crossed my mind although knew that it was not happening. To the OP good thread it is what a lot of fans thought but not brave enough to admit it because after all they have an online forum reputation to uphold lol. Dont let people get you down if someone doesnt like the thread too bad dont click.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Based upon the tag and the new CBA, what are the rules regarding whether Welker can be extended now, during the season, etc? Anyone know for sure?

Cant say that I think this will go down because it wont. But it had crossed my mind although knew that it was not happening. To the OP good thread it is what a lot of fans thought but not brave enough to admit it because after all they have an online forum reputation to uphold lol. Dont let people get you down if someone doesnt like the thread too bad dont click.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'd like to say that I'm only visiting this thread for my psychology thesis. Carry on.

Based upon the tag and the new CBA, what are the rules regarding whether Welker can be extended now, during the season, etc? Anyone know for sure?

I would defer to someone like Mo who is usually on top of these things, but my understanding is that Welker and the team had until July 16 of this year to work out a long term deal. That failed to happen, so Welker is obliged to play this year under the franchise tag and can't be extended until after the 2012 year ends.

I would defer to someone like Mo who is usually on top of these things, but my understanding is that Welker and the team had until July 16 of this year to work out a long term deal. That failed to happen, so Welker is obliged to play this year under the franchise tag and can't be extended until after the 2012 year ends.

I believe the rule is no new contract can be signed until after the Week 17 game, but they don't have to wait for the playoffs to end.

I believe the rule is no new contract can be signed until after the Week 17 game, but they don't have to wait for the playoffs to end.

Thanks for the clarification.

Perhaps he's headed to the dodgers too?

I tend to agree, however, I do not know if they can add more years to the tag season.
I ask because a reason for him being held out could be to prevent injury if they are close to such a deal.

There it goes again. Someone posts a legitimate zing and the retort is a personal zing...

Except Andy's comments were "Not the body language thing again..." There's nothing wrong with Andy's comment at all. That isn't a personal attack.

Your comments included the words "stupid, dumb, LOLable."

There's a pretty big difference. A freaking enormous difference.

Either way, I apolgized for my part in throwing back a retort, which is a lot more than you'd ever do. You wouldn't ever admit making a mistake, and still don't see the difference.

Last edited:
I tend to agree, however, I do not know if they can add more years to the tag season.
I ask because a reason for him being held out could be to prevent injury if they are close to such a deal.

No, they can't add anything to the tag deal. They can sign him to a new one year deal at not less that $9.5M although for the life of me I don't know why you would. Some teams do that to add the no re tag clause in writing to get a player into camp. Seattle did that with their RB Shaun Alexander I think it was to curry good faith. They did sign him to a long term deal the following spring before FA opened. As the Pats will have the opportunity to do with Welker. He was never the same back again after a series of injuries befell him and he was out of the league a couple of years later.

Per Bedard, Welker was held out for the simple reason he got dinged in practice, it was not serious, but they took the precaution of sitting him. As well they should. He's had an outstanding camp and he hasn't gotten or needed a day off as have some of the other vets.

Except Andy's comments were "Not the body language thing again..." There's nothing wrong with Andy's comment at all. That isn't a personal attack.

Your comments included the words "stupid, dumb, LOLable."

There's a pretty big difference. A freaking enormous difference.

Either way, I apolgized for my part in throwing back a retort, which is a lot more than you'd ever do. You wouldn't ever admit making a mistake, and still don't see the difference.

Andy knows what I was referring to, obviously you don't. His criticism was legit, your retort to him was personal. Saying someone is espousing a dumb idea and detailing the reasons why it is isn't the same as calling them dumb, there is a pretty big freaking enormous difference.

OK, that was QB12's retort to Andy's comment, but you somehow brought that back to you and me so...

Last edited:
A link from PFT, who hadn't commented on it as of yet:

Welker not a likely target of Irsay’s trade talk | ProFootballTalk

They speak of the inability of anyone to sign a franchise player until after the season is done, and their opinion is that it would not be a franchise player under the tag.

Teams who trade for a franchise tagged player can sign them to a long term deal. Only the team that tags them is precluded from signing them to one past the July deadline. One of the reasons the speculation that it was Wallace Irsay was talking about had no validity is you can't trade a player who isn't under contract and until Wallace signs his tag he isn't.

Andy knows what I was referring to, obviously you don't. His criticism was legit, your retort to him was personal. Saying someone is espousing a dumb idea and detailing the reasons why it is isn't the same as calling them dumb, there is a pretty big freaking enormous difference.

I didn't respond a word to Andy, and likely wouldn't. You're thinking of someone else.

He can be taken as a bit harsh at times, but has always been more than fair and never resorts to personal attacks unless provoked first.

As far as the differences between "dumb" and "calling someone dumb,"---to each his own. Just don't be surprised if someone takes it the wrong way :cool:

Last edited:
Teams who trade for a franchise tagged player can sign them to a long term deal. Only the team that tags them is precluded from signing them to one past the July deadline. One of the reasons the speculation that it was Wallace Irsay was talking about had no validity is you can't trade a player who isn't under contract and until Wallace signs his tag he isn't.

So you are ruling out Wallace instead of Welker in this case, and saying that Mike Florio and PFT is wrong??

(you've already ruled Welker out too, but for different reasons)

It wouldn't be the first time PFT is wrong, and it won't be the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3