PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker Speculation thread (pure opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teams who trade for a franchise tagged player can sign them to a long term deal. Only the team that tags them is precluded from signing them to one past the July deadline. One of the reasons the speculation that it was Wallace Irsay was talking about had no validity is you can't trade a player who isn't under contract and until Wallace signs his tag he isn't.

The Wallace situation is a technicality. The Steelers can give the Colts permission to work out a deal with Wallace and then once they do, Wallace can the sign his tender to execute the trade.

The Wallace situation is a technicality. The Steelers can give the Colts permission to work out a deal with Wallace and then once they do, Wallace can the sign his tender to execute the trade.

No, it isn't and they can't. They can't even talk to Irsay about Wallace because he's not under contract. The difference when we traded for Welker was we talked to him during the 35 or so day period when we could about signing him to an offer sheet. Then, because of the poison pill issue and not wanting to do something the league was frowning on, Miami and NE in concert with his agent brokered a deal where he signed his tender and was traded to NE. Teams can't approach Wallace anymore to begin that process. The window for discussing offer sheets with RFA ended 5 days before the draft.

Greg A. Bedard‏@GregABedard

Basically MT @realfreemancbs: Checked on Welker-to-Colts rumor initiated by Irsay tweet. reaction I got was this: don't be a dumbass.

Kind of a mean spirited response I guess...:rolleyes:

^^ Good. I'm happy to read that.

Re: Speculation thread (pure opinion)

Although I am at the point that I wouldn't be shocked if Belichick moved anyone not named Brady, I don't see a trade of Welker to the Colts making much sense. The Colts really have no players on their roster that the Pats would want to make an immediate contribution worth the value of Welker. It doesn't make sense for the Colts to give up a high draft pick for a Welker since he probably has 2-3 years left at most and they are building for the future around Luck.

Irsay is a crazy loon. I don't put much faith in his gibberish on Twitter.

I never thought the Pats would trade Seymour and they did. It wouldn't be unprecedented. I still think it is highly unlikely that Belichick would part with Welker now or the Colts would give up a high draft pick for a player who will be declining when Luck finally hits his groove.

Forgive me if I think it was an all but inked deal until Irsay leaked it on twitter and BB does play that.:D

Re: Speculation thread (pure opinion)

Forgive me if I think it was an all but inked deal until Irsay leaked it on twitter and BB does play that.:D

I think that's a great point. Belichick would not likely appreciate the fact that anyone would discuss the situation with anyone in the media/social media.

That said, I would honestly probably have given the possibility about a 10% chance when I started the thread, but wanted to see others' opinions about that matter.

Last edited:
Greg A. Bedard‏@GregABedard

Basically MT @realfreemancbs: Checked on Welker-to-Colts rumor initiated by Irsay tweet. reaction I got was this: don't be a dumbass.

Kind of a mean spirited response I guess...:rolleyes:

Maybe that have more of a friendly relationship and it wasn't taken the wrong way.

Or maybe he just needs to relax and get laid? ;)

If they don't know each other that well, then it may be interpreted as a d!ckhead of a response by the majority.

Regardless, it's good news all around, but nothing out of the ordinary as to what was expected.

Last edited:
Welker never made sense, for either team but for the Pats in particular. I'm beginning to understand the fertile mind of Irsay, I think.

In his most recent tweet about this he wrote: You guys said,like Tony M from Scarface was told.."You a BIG man..you wanna make BIG bucks!!"...well here's your chance,Iggy Pops "Big Guy".

He writes "Big Guy" but I believe he really means that it is a small player. Iggy Pop is 5'7". The logical conclusion, based upon a huge area need for the Colts....they are trying to trade for MJD.

Maybe it all means that Irsay is an attention craving late night drunkard laughing his ass off at all his Tweeter sheep.

Maybe it all means that Irsay is an attention craving late night drunkard laughing his ass off at all his Tweeter sheep.

Could be the most likely scenario for sure.

SO BEFORE YOU FLAME AWAY, ARE WE 100% 'sure' THAT WELKER IS HERE THIS YEAR??

(and for what it's worth, I hope to hell that he is and he continues to finish his career here)
I'm not going to flame, but I do have to say I disagree. While I have no doubt Belichick would trade anyone on this team, I just don't see other teams offering much for Welker. Welker is a great system receiver here in NE. He's not a guy that can just walk on to any team and become their #1 WR the moment he arrives, like a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald would. The unbelievable stats he puts up here just wouldn't translate to Seattle, Tampa Bay or Jacksonville.

I'm not going to flame, but I do have to say I disagree. While I have no doubt Belichick would trade anyone on this team, I just don't see other teams offering much for Welker. Welker is a great system receiver here in NE. He's not a guy that can just walk on to any team and become their #1 WR the moment he arrives, like a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald would. The unbelievable stats he puts up here just wouldn't translate to Seattle, Tampa Bay or Jacksonville.

That, my friend is an ongoing debate that I don't want to be a part of, but I agree with you 100% that Welker is best used here with his great rapport that he has with Brady.

"How" good he could potentially be on another team would probably depend on some of the variables that would surround him such as a true #1 WR, the QB, etc.

I have differing thoughts on how much he may be able to get if/when he hits FA in March, but all it takes is one team to throw a 2-3 yr deal at him, so it's definitely a possibility. My hopes are that no one will top the offer here by a lot, although I do believe it'll be topped. Just personal opinion though of course.

For the record, I have no problem with this thread or any other for that matter, people can and should post what they want, what I do have a problem with is the absolute disrespect so many Patriot fans have for Welker, and the claims that Edelman could step right in and replace him, or that the offense would be just fine without him, and the OP wasn't making either of those claims. So while everyone is entitled to their own opinion they shouldn't be surprised when they get slammed for making really dumbassed comments or arguments that have absolutely no basis in fact or reality. Welker has played at a HOF level during his time in New England, and losing him in any fashion would be a huge blow to the Patriots chances of winning a Super Bowl this year, and would also lead to Brady taking much more of a beating without the one player he can get rid of the ball to instantly all of the time. The idea of trading one of the best players in football, and a vital component of this team, for future prospects imo is stupidity at the highest level,and if Belichick was that stupid I would be shocked. Brady has 4-5 years left and they need to maximize their chances to win Lombardi's during that time. I love the draft and i love extra first rounders to play with, but now is not the time to even consider making moves like the one suggested here, it's time to field the best team they possibly can for each season and go for Championships.

Jay Glazer is reporting the Colts trade is a 2nd round pick for Vontae Davis! So not Wes Welker after all.

Last edited:
Phew! Relieved.

But where's Wes going, then? Surely some other owner has a twitter account...

Good deal for both teams.

But where's Wes going, then? Surely some other owner has a twitter account...

Dolphins have an xtra 2nd and 3rd rounder now. No doubt incarcerated Bob will have us trading Welker back to the Phins for those extra picks.

For the record, I have no problem with this thread or any other for that matter, people can and should post what they want, what I do have a problem with is the absolute disrespect so many Patriot fans have for Welker, and the claims that Edelman could step right in and replace him, or that the offense would be just fine without him, and the OP wasn't making either of those claims. So while everyone is entitled to their own opinion they shouldn't be surprised when they get slammed for making really dumbassed comments or arguments that have absolutely no basis in fact or reality. Welker has played at a HOF level during his time in New England, and losing him in any fashion would be a huge blow to the Patriots chances of winning a Super Bowl this year, and would also lead to Brady taking much more of a beating without the one player he can get rid of the ball to instantly all of the time. The idea of trading one of the best players in football, and a vital component of this team, for future prospects imo is stupidity at the highest level,and if Belichick was that stupid I would be shocked. Brady has 4-5 years left and they need to maximize their chances to win Lombardi's during that time. I love the draft and i love extra first rounders to play with, but now is not the time to even consider making moves like the one suggested here, it's time to field the best team they possibly can for each season and go for Championships.
Yeah, Ivan we all like Wes Welker too....lets tone down the hyperbole. BB has NEVER had an offense that was dominated by a WR, and its not going to happen this year either. In fact, because of all his potential options, Welker's importance is likely to be LESS, not more.

Calm down now. That does't mean he he isn't good, or we don't respect him, or even that his talents might have diminished with wear and tear, and age. He's just now in an entirely difference situation than he's been in the previous 5 years. The 2 TE's are entering their primes. We hnow have some outside receivers to attack with the inside guys, and 3 RB's who can catch the ball, and an OC who likes to use RBs in the passing game.

So don't get your #83 panties in a bunch. Wes Welker is STILL an important part of this offense.....just no quite as indispensable as you make him out to be. There's only ONE guy who fits that designation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes