PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year it's either Manning, Big Ben, Flacco kind of crazy
This actually deserves more attention. We all know how the Pats have more or less made a mockery of the league's precious parity, but if you look at at the AFC you see how out of whack it's been.

Including this year (because the AFC representative in the Super Bowl will be the Pats or Pittsburgh), 13 out of the last 14 years (starting in 2003), the AFC team will be led by Brady (his 6th over that span), Manning (4), or Roethlisberger (would be 4 for him). And Flacco once--while the Ravens have given the Pats some trouble, they only reached the Super Bowl once in that period. Three guys accounting for 93% of the Super Bowl appearances over 14 seasons.

It's amazing, it really is. With Manning gone, you could have looked at the 16 teams in the AFC at the beginning of the season, and just said, "Pats & Pittsburgh in the title game," and you would have been right.

Last edited:
This actually deserves more attention. We all know how the Pats have more or less made a mockery of the league's precious parity, but if you look at at the AFC you see how out of whack it's been.

Including this year, since the AFC representative in the Super Bowl will be the Pats or Pittsburgh, 13 out of the 14 years (starting in 2003), the AFC team will be led by Brady (his 6th over that span), Manning (4), or Roethlisberger (would be 4 for him). And Flacco once--while the Ravens have given the Pats some trouble, they only reached the Super Bowl once in that period. The rest? A big zero.

It's amazing, it really is. With Manning gone, you could have looked at the 16 teams in the AFC at the beginning of the season, and just said, "Pats & Pittsburgh in the title game," and you would have been right.

I feel like the only competition is Oakland with a healthy Carr because he is in that conversation of elite QBs

I feel like the only competition is Oakland with a healthy Carr because he is in that conversation of elite QBs
Right--shows again, if more proof was needed, that you start with the QB and fill in the blanks.

Which means, again, that if you're a GM and think Jimmy G is going to be the man, it really doesn't matter what you give up. Make the best deal you can, of course, but get the QB.

Is it just me or is there a lot of potential bulletin board material floating around between Tomlin, the media pumping up Rodgers as the best ever and the (over)reactions over the (relative) lack of dominance exhibited by the team in the win against Houston?

Is it just me or is there a lot of potential bulletin board material floating around between Tomlin, the media pumping up Rodgers as the best ever and the (over)reactions over the (relative) lack of dominance exhibited by the team in the win against Houston?
"We won because we were super pumped and jacked after reading the mean things they said!" said nobody ever. There's material but the Pats don't need it.

"We won because we were super pumped and jacked after reading the mean things they said!" said nobody ever. There's material but the Pats don't need it.
Agreed. There's a trip to the SB on the line. I'm guessing that Belichick couldn't care less about who called them mean names.

Other than Wilson, are they, though? Groups of 5:

Brady/Rodgers/Ryan/Brees/Roethlisberger
Rivers/Mariota/Carr/Luck/Wilson
Newton/Stafford/Smith

That gets me to 13 before I even start to think about Flacco/Tannehill/Dalton, and that still leaves guys like

Winston/Eli/Cousins/Prescott

To think about along with the Flacco/Tannehill/Dalton trio.

I agree with your list, actually. Although I'd put Flack, Tanny and Dalton above Alex Smith.

Cam Newton and Rivers had subpar years. I have no idea what to make of those guys.

I might put Flacco in the same bucket with Eli.

Prescott impressed the hell out of me yesterday.

Top 20 I guess?

Overall I think those 3 I mentioned are legit NFL QBs and not ham n eggers.

Agreed. There's a trip to the SB on the line. I'm guessing that Belichick couldn't care less about who called them mean names.

Didn't revis call Belichick something before signing here?

I know past isn't always prologue, but this is really lopsided

I am seeing that Rodgers is the Michael Jordan of the NFL.. seriously? The guy has 1 amazing game and all of the sudden he is the GOAT. Lots of garbage out there. Rodgers has 2 gaming winning drives in the playoffs. Michael Jordan is what a 6 time NBA Champion?

I think this game is coming down to the wire. I just have that feeling. Should be a great game. The Pats need to stop Bell.

I think the 2004 regular season game in Pitt tilted those road stats a bit. He had a pick 6 taken from him and I'm sure he had at least one other INT

I am seeing that Rodgers is the Michael Jordan of the NFL.. seriously? The guy has 1 amazing game and all of the sudden he is the GOAT. Lots of garbage out there. Rodgers has 2 gaming winning drives in the playoffs. Michael Jordan is what a 6 time NBA Champion?
I think you take everything with a grain of salt. People need to write stuff. You cant compare sports so these are just broad sided comparisons. And dont think its comparison's of championships but taking the team forward single handedly . If brady played like this without his RB and backup RB with a really bad secondary and average defense and #1 WR out and people compared him like wise i would relish it . He is playing at a high level regardless of all these random comparisons which are written with a design to get a rise out of fans.

I think you take everything with a grain of salt. People need to write stuff. You cant compare sports so these are just broad sided comparisons. And dont think its comparison's of championships but taking the team forward single handedly . If brady played like this without his RB and backup RB with a really bad secondary and average defense and #1 WR out and people compared him like wise i would relish it . He is playing at a high level regardless of all these random comparisons which are written with a design to get a rise out of fans.

Rodgers offensive line is extremely good at pass protection. The guy can hold on to the ball forever, and then on top of that extend the play after the initial protection breaks. But the Packers O line is in sync and is great even after the play breaks down. Brady doesn't have that luxury. Say what ever about Rodgers lack of weapons but the guy is throwing to a bunch of tall athletic recievers out there and they are making great plays for him.

I am not taking anything away from Rodgers, as far as skill sets he has some that no other QB's have. But he has weapons and a great O line.

we need to start taking the field to The Imperial March. Just embrace it

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye