PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once Jules, Michel and Burkhead are back the offense will be fine. I am talking about right now for this game against this defense.

I just don't see how they move the ball on this defense. Their CBs will completely take Hogan/Dorsett out of the game. They can double Gronk all day and then put one of their very competent LBs on White. I think White can beat pretty much any LB they put on him in the open field but if that is what your forced to keep going back to eventually the Jags will figure out a way to stop it.

Patterson and Develin okay options for a few plays here and there but they won't do much vs this Jags team. Add to all this the Jags ability to bring pressure with 4 guys and this offense will have serious problems.

The only saving grace is the Pats defense looks improved and the Jags offense isn't scary. The Jags have a bill home field advantage early in the year. It will feel like a early Miami game down there. I think this game comes down to which defense can force the most mistakes. That isn't a good position to be in as the opposing team. Even if Brady is on his game tipped balls or fumbles are something the Jags cause vs everyone.

Brady has been successful against seemingly impenetrable defenses with much less than what he has to work with on Sunday. They’ll likely do what they always do when they have matchup disadvantages and a good run defense. They’ll spread the field and have Brady throw it 50 times using quick slants, screens, and midrange lasers. White at RB, Gronkowski at TE, Hogan, Dorsett, and Patterson/Develin as the WRs is not a bad lineup. Brady has done a lot of damage with a LOT less talent around him. They’re not going to drop 45 on Jacksonville, but they’ll figure out ways to move the ball. Never underestimate Brady’s ability to find any minuscule advantage and exploit it.

Things always look bleak on paper but are better during the actual game. Just last week the Houston defensive line was going to “unblockable.”

I think it comes down to creating favorable matchups. For example, let's assume Bouye and Ramsey will take the outside receivers and use a nickel or LB/safety combo on the slot. Perhaps the Pats put Patterson out wide as a sacrificial lamb to Ramsey, see who Bouye takes out of Hogan/Dorsett and then Brady targets whomever Bouye doesn't have.

Maybe the Pats do a ton of trips looks, flooding zones and/or running rub routes, all in an attempt to spring guys free.

Offensive success will really come down to Josh's plan this week. The Jags are too talented at all 3 levels of D to just run conventional sets.

Regards,
Chris

According to Jags executive Tom Coughlin, they did admit it.
But.... what is "it"?

The NFL can say that they should not have blown the whistle that Jack was down by contact.

But no way in hell can they say, like Jacksonville fans say, that Jack should have been awarded a TD. When the whistle blew the defenders stopped pursuit, and what they called was 100% correct. Jax ball where it was when the play was whistled dead.

Apparently Ramsey doesn't realize how football matchups work

Ramsey’s an idiot for his comments about Gronk. First, the idea that Gronk is averaging 20 or so less yards per game against CBs is an impossible claim. Teams mix and match with different coverages, zones, and personnel. The idea that some games “a linebacker” covers him and other games “a defensive back covers him” pretty much shows any claimed inferences are bunk. Now, if you had an actual yards per play, etc on isolated matchups it would at least be credible, though probably still wrong. There are other issues about his comments:

1. Gronkowski is less likely to receive less targets with CB because that usually means he’s lining up on the outside.

2. If it were possible to actually study Ramsey’s dumb, random claims, the more important question is whether or not it effects the offense’s overall efficiency and PPG. Putting a CB on a tight end is easily a trade-off at best, since they are going to get plowed over when Gronk is used as a blocker for both runs and pass protection. Having an extra CB on the field to replace a linebacker has its consequences with the running game in particular.

3. If it were this simple, I’m quite sure everyone would have figured a very obvious solution to limiting Gronk. Clearly it isn’t.

4. Gronk is almost NEVER covered by one player, and if he is, that linebacker OR corner is in big trouble. As is often repeated, he’s too big and strong for a CB and too fast for a LB. Go rewatch the 2-point conversion in the final minute of the Pittsburgh game last year and see how a CB fares in single coverage giving up up about a foot of height/wingspan and has zero physical ability to even hinder the reception. CBs are exploited easily on quick passes and high lobs, and the YAC is often devastating.

5. Ramsey has established himself as the NFL’s new village idiot. It had been awhile since a flash-in-the-pan fell in love with the spotlight and became the expert on everything. It won’t be long until he’s just another dumb former NFL player who blew all his money on jewelry.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Patriots will be wearing their home jerseys. I know when we played Miami in September a few years ago(2014 maybe) they had us in the dark blue which didn't help with the hot, muggy weather. Didn't I see it was supposed to be 93 and humid?
Because of the weather, I assumed the Jags would go the all white uniforms. They just announced they’re going to do the teal jerseys on white pants.

Last edited:
I thought I remembered him getting up and running toward the end zone. The Jags swear it was going to be a TD. Am I misremembering the scenario? Seems a bit weird to have a banner flying over for a simple fumble. Coughlin and the fans believe it would’ve been the play that sent them to the SB with a 27-10 fourth quarter lead.

One thing is for sure—Nate Solder was not really near him, and wasn’t going to make a tackle.

You remember correctly, it's just that when he was on the ground a Patriot with an easy path to touching him down pulled up once they heard a whistle. It wouldn't have been a TD even if it had been called to their preference.

1. Mike Reiss s16 seconds ago
    With TE Jacob Hollister no longer on the injury report, that sets him up to make his season debut Sunday against the Jaguars. Hollister had missed the season-opener with a hamstring injury.
  2. Mike Reiss 3m3 minutes ago
    Patriots final injury report of the week: QUESTIONABLE -- RB Rex Burkhead (concussion/limited); OT Marcus Cannon (calf/limited); CB Keion Crossen (hamstring/limited); RB Sony Michel (knee/limited)

Fournette didnt practice today? Is he out?

Phil Perry Retweeted

Tad ****man‏ @TDickman89 5m5 minutes ago
RB Leonard Fournette (DNP, hamstring) is the only player that appears on the @Jaguars game status report — questionable. RB T.J. Yeldon (ankle) was added to the practice report as a limited participant, but will play Sunday. All other players were full participants in practice.

1. Mike Reiss s16 seconds ago
    With TE Jacob Hollister no longer on the injury report, that sets him up to make his season debut Sunday against the Jaguars. Hollister had missed the season-opener with a hamstring injury.
  2. Mike Reiss 3m3 minutes ago
    Patriots final injury report of the week: QUESTIONABLE -- RB Rex Burkhead (concussion/limited); OT Marcus Cannon (calf/limited); CB Keion Crossen (hamstring/limited); RB Sony Michel (knee/limited)

If the Pats are to win Hollister needs to make a few plays. I'm not saying he needs a 100 yard game but picking up a couple 15 yards plays may well be the difference.

BTW: nice article here by Perry about the upcoming game regarding Gronk, the offense and Ramsey...

How much will Ramsey actually cover Gronkowski?

PhilAPerry -

Very small sample size, but broke down how Jags defended the pass against Giants based on personnel.

Jags nickel: 137 yards allowed on 27 dropbacks (5.07 ypd)*
Jags "big" nickel: 54 on 7 dropbacks (7.71 ypd)
Jags base: 19 on 5 dropbacks (3.8 ypd)

* includes 2 sacks for -14

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand