PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I look at this game the more I find it hard to see how any team moves the ball. If the Pats had Edelman it would be a different story as he add another layer to our offense.

People have pointed out we did most of our damage last year after Gronk went down. Much of that was due to the catches and penalties Cook forced.

Cook, Amendola, Dorsett, Hogan, White, Lewis to me is better than Gronk, Dorsett, Hogan, White, ???, ???

Patterson might gives us a few yards but it won't be much.

When I look at how the Pats match up vs the Jags I don't see anything we can hope to do well besides pass to White.

Gronk can fight through Texans double team but not a Jags double team. Either Hogan or Dorsett will be taken away completely by their other CB pretty much. So it comes down to Brady moving them down the field with one of those WRs and White all game. Unless the Jags are dumb enough to give Gronk a fair amount of true 1v1 chances. Add in their pass rush and I don't see this offense being able to do much no matter how well Brady plays.

When it comes to their offense I think this D is better equipped to handle it than last year. They are a run first team. Having Hightower back along with the emergence of Bentley can't be understated for this game. Add in Shelton hopefully having a good game and the DE depth being better. This front 7 is leaps and bounds better than last year. I hated our LBs last year of Van Noy/Roberts/M. Flower. Now we have Hightower/Van Noy/Bentley. While losing Butler hurts Jones has shown he is capable and really hasn't missed a beat so far. It is hard for me to say the DB situation looks much different than in did in last years AFCCG until I see proof of that.

If our pass rush can get pressure on Bortles he can potentially be forced into mistakes, but their OL is pretty good.

I don't see either team scoring over 20 points. Which is why both probably will haha.

If I'm Jacksonville, I would start out with doubling Gronk with Telvin Smith and a safety. Smith is one of the few LBs in the league that can actually run with Gronk. If that gets exploited, then switch Ramsey to him. If the Pats can't exploit that, points will be very hard to come by through the air. Smith and a safety bracketing Gronk, Bouye/Ramsey on Hogan/Dorsett, and I'm not sure where else you throw the football.

The more I look at this game the more I find it hard to see how any team moves the ball. If the Pats had Edelman it would be a different story as he add another layer to our offense.

People have pointed out we did most of our damage last year after Gronk went down. Much of that was due to the catches and penalties Cook forced.

Cook, Amendola, Dorsett, Hogan, White, Lewis to me is better than Gronk, Dorsett, Hogan, White, ???, ???

When I look at how the Pats match up vs the Jags I don't see anything we can hope to do well besides pass to White.

Gronk can fight through Texans double team but not a Jags double team. Either Hogan or Dorsett will be taken away completely by their other CB pretty much. So it comes down to Brady moving them down the field with one of those WRs and White all game. Unless the Jags are dumb enough to give Gronk a fair amount of true 1v1 chances. Add in their pass rush and I don't see this offense being able to do much no matter how well Brady plays.

When it comes to their offense I think this D is better equipped to handle it than last year. They are a run first team. Having Hightower back along with the emergence of Bentley can't be understated for this game. Add in Shelton hopefully having a good game and the DE depth being better. This front 7 is leaps and bounds better than last year. I hated our LBs last year of Van Noy/Roberts/M. Flower. Now we have Hightower/Van Noy/Bentley. While losing Butler hurts Jones has shown he is capable and really hasn't missed a beat so far. It is hard for me to say the DB situation looks much different than in did in last years AFCCG until I see proof of that.

If our pass rush can get pressure on Bortles he can potentially be forced into mistakes, but their OL is pretty good.

I don't see either team scoring over 20 points. Which is why both probably will haha.

I think Ramsey himself can take away Gronk and if not I am sure one of their Fast LB's will be playing over the Top to lay the Lumber. One of the Hogan/Dorsett should have a decent game.

If I'm Jacksonville, I would start out with doubling Gronk with Telvin Smith and a safety. Smith is one of the few LBs in the league that can actually run with Gronk. If that gets exploited, then switch Ramsey to him. If the Pats can't exploit that, points will be very hard to come by through the air. Smith and a safety bracketing Gronk, Bouye/Ramsey on Hogan/Dorsett, and I'm not sure where else you throw the football.

DC Kontra can you stop it already I see a lot Three and outs in Bold. :(

You have to wonder if Gronk is going to be a little bit nervous after what happened the last the time they met.

I'll take the line up with Gronk in it.

One mismatch that you can go back to is all it takes. If Brady can consistently connect with Dorsett or Hogan and also has the advantage of our RBs vs. their LBs then at some point the Jaguars will have to change up opening up other things. Let see if Hollister is healthy enough to play a role.

Don't underplay how one mismatch can be enough to wreck an entire gameplan if you can consistently execute on that.

Odell Beckham had 100+ yards last week against Jax. I think thay defense has some holes to exploit. Gronk can have a good day. Just line him up away from Jalen Ramsey.

I like hogan but the guy struggles mightily against man coverage. He had 1 for 11 against the Texans. That’s it.

The Pats will have to scheme them to get open ala the 9ers last year. Gronk is going to have to outmuscle these guys in one on ones.

You have to wonder if Gronk is going to be a little bit nervous after what happened the last the time they met.
They are a hard hitting team and will try some cheap shots to intimidate. That’s why I wouldn’t play Sony this week.

Odell Beckham had 100+ yards last week against Jax. I think thay defense has some holes to exploit. Gronk can have a good day. Just line him up away from Jalen Ramsey.
What’s scary is that their two best offensive weapons had good statistical days but only mustered 15 points. I’m going to take a page from that knucklehead reporter tweeting during training camp “Gronk looks like the best player on the field” and say the “Jags D is really good”.

I like hogan but the guy struggles mightily against man coverage. He had 1 for 11 against the Texans. That’s it.
When he draws the best CB, he becomes a JAG.

Dorsett this year >> Dorsett last year. Training camp, in sync with Brady
Hogan this year >> Hogan last year, if he can stay reasonably healthy
Amendola last year >Patterson this year (not the same roles, though, I know, and gulf may be wide if postseason is considered)
Gronk this year = Gronk last year
White this year = White last year
Lewis last year >>Burkhead & Michel this year
Cook & no Edelman last year vs. Edelman for 12 games and no Cook this year is debatable.

Overall I am not seeing a huge dropoff once Jules is back, assuming he's close to past performance

Dorsett this year >> Dorsett last year. Training camp, in sync with Brady
Hogan this year >> Hogan last year, if he can stay reasonably healthy
Amendola last year >Patterson this year (not the same roles, though, I know, and gulf may be wide if postseason is considered)
Gronk this year = Gronk last year
White this year = White last year
Lewis last year >>Burkhead & Michel this year
Cook & no Edelman last year vs. Edelman for 12 games and no Cook this year is debatable.

Overall I am not seeing a huge dropoff once Jules is back, assuming he's close to past performance

Once Jules, Michel and Burkhead are back the offense will be fine. I am talking about right now for this game against this defense.

I just don't see how they move the ball on this defense. Their CBs will completely take Hogan/Dorsett out of the game. They can double Gronk all day and then put one of their very competent LBs on White. I think White can beat pretty much any LB they put on him in the open field but if that is what your forced to keep going back to eventually the Jags will figure out a way to stop it.

Patterson and Develin okay options for a few plays here and there but they won't do much vs this Jags team. Add to all this the Jags ability to bring pressure with 4 guys and this offense will have serious problems.

The only saving grace is the Pats defense looks improved and the Jags offense isn't scary. The Jags have a bill home field advantage early in the year. It will feel like a early Miami game down there. I think this game comes down to which defense can force the most mistakes. That isn't a good position to be in as the opposing team. Even if Brady is on his game tipped balls or fumbles are something the Jags cause vs everyone.

over under on the number of dirty hits gronk takes after making jalen eat his words?

Once Jules, Michel and Burkhead are back the offense will be fine. I am talking about right now for this game against this defense.

I just don't see how they move the ball on this defense. Their CBs will completely take Hogan/Dorsett out of the game. They can double Gronk all day and then put one of their very competent LBs on White. I think White can beat pretty much any LB they put on him in the open field but if that is what your forced to keep going back to eventually the Jags will figure out a way to stop it.

Patterson and Develin okay options for a few plays here and there but they won't do much vs this Jags team. Add to all this the Jags ability to bring pressure with 4 guys and this offense will have serious problems.

The only saving grace is the Pats defense looks improved and the Jags offense isn't scary. The Jags have a bill home field advantage early in the year. It will feel like a early Miami game down there. I think this game comes down to which defense can force the most mistakes. That isn't a good position to be in as the opposing team. Even if Brady is on his game tipped balls or fumbles are something the Jags cause vs everyone.

Going to need at least one turnover (by them) or better yet a defensive score (by us) to beat Jax.

The NFL admitted a mistake in calling him down, bit the scoop and score wouldn't have happened either way. A Patriot lineman (Solder?) was mere feet away from Jack and would have easily touched him down if the whistle hadn't blown.

Did the NFL ever admit that there was an officiating error on the Dion Lewis/Myles Jack play? I know it’s a popular opinion among Jaguars fans (some knuckleheads are even wasting money this Sunday having a play fly over the stadium with a banner complaining about the call), but I may have missed the league saying a mistake was made.

Did the NFL ever admit that there was an officiating error on the Dion Lewis/Myles Jack play? I know it’s a popular opinion among Jaguars fans (some knuckleheads are even wasting money this Sunday having a play fly over the stadium with a banner complaining about the call), but I may have missed the league saying a mistake was made.

Waste of time and money. Should have a banner up in their stadium.

-Ind. Colts*

I don't know, I took the other member's word for granted on that one. :)

For some reason, I just have a lot of confidence the Pats will win this game. They’ve played some amazing defenses, including the Lewis-Reed Ravens, Orange Crush Broncos, Legion of Boom, and formerly elite Steelers with Polamalu. I think Jacksonville is not that great and they won’t even make the playoffs. I could easily see us looking back at the end of the year and completely forgetting how high Jacksonville was rated at this point in the season, when in fact they’re an average or so football team. Sort of like that opener at Arizona when Brady was suspended.

Last edited:
The NFL admitted a mistake in calling him down, bit the scoop and score wouldn't have happened either way. A Patriot lineman (Solder?) was mere feet away from Jack and would have easily touched him down if the whistle hadn't blown.
I thought I remembered him getting up and running toward the end zone. The Jags swear it was going to be a TD. Am I misremembering the scenario? Seems a bit weird to have a banner flying over for a simple fumble. Coughlin and the fans believe it would’ve been the play that sent them to the SB with a 27-10 fourth quarter lead.

One thing is for sure—Nate Solder was not really near him, and wasn’t going to make a tackle.

Last edited:
According to Jags executive Tom Coughlin, they did admit it.

Barring an incredible meltdown, Jaguars will win AFC South. Other three teams are way beneath them when it comes to skill and roster depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes