PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're On To Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
The JAGS defensive reputation arguably is tainted by playing against a lot of abysmal offenses.

The same could be said about the Patriots defense. The average offense vs the Patriot this year scored 21.27 PPG (they gave up 18.50 PPG). The average offense vs the Jags this year scored 21.26 PPG (they gave up 16.75 PPG).

Now those numbers do not mean everything as timing is key in these things. The Jags got Houston the first game of the year and 3rd to last. The Patriots got Houston when they were hitting their offensive peak for instance. So of course those numbers aren't everything. But I do think the argument the Jags have played an easy offensive schedule while true is slightly over blown. The D is legit on the whole. It isn't the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens but it is good.

They key is it is a young D which can be over aggressive.

The Jags passing all over one of the weakest secondary units in the league has no bearing on this game. The 0-16 Browns abused Pittsburgh's secondary a couple of weeks prior.

Pittsburgh had 462 passing yards yesterday. Why would they bother running any more than they did when they were able to abuse them through the air? The Steelers still averaged 4.6 yards per carry.

I didn't say anything about the Jags "passing all over" the Steelers. That's your imbecilic claim. I only pointed out that they went to 9 different targets in a rebuttal to your claiming that they didn't have any weapons in the receiving game. If they pass to 9 different people, they are clearly going to the person that's open. Much the way Brady did early in his career.

Did you even watch the Steelers play the Browns? The Steelers sat Hayward. And the defensive starters that did play, quite a few didn't play much.

The Steelers were passing once they were down 28-7. They had to. Doesn't change the fact that the Jags held Bell to 67 yards on 16 carries.

Claiming that the Steelers had a 4.6 YPC because of Roethlisberger's 2 QB scrambles is laughable. It shows that you don't understand context.

The more you talk, the more you show that you're all about stats and truly have no understanding of context.

Defense was abused today. That said, they'r more than capable of shutting TB & co down. Bortles isn't as awful as we thought. Patriots got the toughest match up possible. Alas, I still believe.
Jax suck. Pats got Titans then Jags to get to Super Bowl. Incredible..

What??

The two times the Pats faced them Pats had 200 yards rushing.

Here was the bills "better run defense" for the last half of the season

dolphins 22 carries 93 yards

Pats 38 carries 191 yards

dolphins 21 carries 180 yards

colts 46 carries 163 yards

Pats 35 carries 191 yards

chargers 35 carries 146 yards

saints 48 carries 298 yards

jests 41 carries 194 yards

I stand corrected.

Bills YPC - 4.3
Patriots YPC - 4.7.

Funny how you ignored that the Bills shut down the Jags running game..

Now the Jags are offensive juggernauts too, according to @DaBruinz

Don't ever put words in my mouth, you POG. I've never said that. Do yourself a favor and go back to whatever troll hole you came from.

As someone else mentioned, Tom Coughlin has beat the Pats twice in the SB. I have no doubt in my mind that Doug Marrone will review those game plans.

I sure hope so since I can't imagine a bigger waste of time than looking at how a completely different team handled Randy Moss or Matt light, or Woodhead and Hernandez.

DaBruinz still posts here?
rofl.gif

You still post here despite being butthurt over how many times you've been proven wrong by numerous people other than myself.

Last edited:
The same could be said about the Patriots defense. The average offense vs the Patriot this year scored 21.27 PPG (they gave up 18.50 PPG). The average offense vs the Jags this year scored 21.26 PPG (they gave up 16.75 PPG).

Now those numbers do not mean everything as timing is key in these things. The Jags got Houston the first game of the year and 3rd to last. The Patriots got Houston when they were hitting their offensive peak for instance. So of course those numbers aren't everything. But I do think the argument the Jags have played an easy offensive schedule while true is slightly over blown. The D is legit on the whole. It isn't the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens but it is good.

They key is it is a young D which can be over aggressive.
I’m not saying it sucks but it is overrated.
12 of 18 games against terrible QBs is an important consideration.

Look at the sack stat for example.
They had 28 in 4 games against savage, Yates and brisset, and 27 in there other 12 games.
People are calling it a ferocious pass rush that will stymie the patriots yet outside is games against incompetent QBs/offense it was very average.
That’s what I mean by overrated.

Same goes for pass defense. 3/4 of games against terrible QBs will distort your stats.

Really? The Jags have to worry about a lot more weapons? You do realize that Bortles hit 9 different targets with passes yesterday, yes? Claiming that NE has nothing to worry about in the passing game is just you being stupid.

The Jags defense held one of the best RBs in the league to 67 yards rushing. Think about that.

And the Jets had like 250 yards on 30 carries. It is easier to scheme against the Steelers if you have the personnel. They only use one RB (albeit very good one), that Conner guy gets his snaps mostly in garbage time. Bell has his specific technique and often tries to run straight through the middle or slightly to the right. Also, he usually lines up on the left side on passing downs and rarely runs to the right if the play is broken.

I sure hope so since I can't imagine a bigger waste of time than looking at how a completely different team handled Randy Moss or Matt light, or Woodhead and Hernandez.

SMH. Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it.

Clearly you don't understand that looking back at how the Giants beat the Patriots blocking schemes can be applied today. Clearly you don't understand how they can look back and see tendencies for play-calling.

But, yes. Act like it's a waste of time despite the fact that Belichick has said he's done the exact same thing.

Pretty impressive, for what it's worth:

I didn't say anything about the Jags "passing all over" the Steelers. That's your imbecilic claim. I only pointed out that they went to 9 different targets in a rebuttal to your claiming that they didn't have any weapons in the receiving game. If they pass to 9 different people, they are clearly going to the person that's open. Much the way Brady did early in his career.

Did you even watch the Steelers play the Browns? The Steelers sat Hayward. And the defensive starters that did play, quite a few didn't play much.

The Steelers were passing once they were down 28-7. They had to. Doesn't change the fact that the Jags held Bell to 67 yards on 16 carries.

Claiming that the Steelers had a 4.6 YPC because of Roethlisberger's 2 QB scrambles is laughable. It shows that you don't understand context.

The more you talk, the more you show that you're all about stats and truly have no understanding of context.
Wait we are arguing that 6 guys catching 1 pass proves they have a lot of weapons?

Bortles completed one nice long pass and had a rb go 40 yards with a dump off.
Otherwise he was 12/24/129.
He threw to 9 different guys because he is afraid to throw the ball down the field.

You were trying to use yesterday's game as an example of Jacksonville's offensive prowess. You failed, and now you're stomping your feet like a b!tch. Blake Tebow isn't beating NE with his arm.

The Steelers started all but 1 of their starters on defense, against an 0-16 team led by Deshone Kizer, and they got absolutely shredded. Their new off season acquisition, Joe Haden, was especially horrendous. Mike Mitchell is an abomination, and Artie Burns has played poorly as well. This is an awful secondary, and to try to extrapolate much from this game is hilarious on your part (as are literally all of your posts.)

Bell had 4.2 yards per carry, which was higher than his season average. He also had a TD. He ran well against them. He just didn't see as much action in the running as he's usually used to, because the Steelers were busy shredding the Jaguars through the air.

Clearly you don't understand that looking back at how the Giants beat the Patriots blocking schemes can be applied today. Clearly you don't understand how they can look back and see tendencies for play-calling.

But, yes. Act like it's a waste of time despite the fact that Belichick has said he's done the exact same thing.
You should have told the to the 75 teams we beat since then.
I didn’t realize it was that easy.
Watch what the giants did 10 and 6 years ago (because I’m sure they used exactly the same game plan) and you can beat the patriots because they havent figured it out yet.

Coughlin could make billions

Don't ever put words in my mouth, you POG. I've never said that. Do yourself a favor and go back to whatever troll hole you came from.

Tell us more about all of these weapons the Jags have in the passing game that the Patriots need to specifically game plan for.

Please show me where belichick has gone back 6 and 10 years to scout okay calling tendencies.

When has BB ever claimed that he looks at games from ten years ago that didn't involve his team to prepare?

Do you think BB is studying the 07 Jags Patriots playoff game this week?

Design plays to isolate Posluszny and our backs and feast. Kyle Shanahan showed so much film on how to exploit some of their weakness and it was a masterclass in play design and calling. Hopefully Burkhead is a go, having him, Lewis and White is such a matchup advantage for us.
The early word this week is Burkhead is expected to be ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down