Welcome to the Pats JoeJuan Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrscruff

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots select PICK 45 JoeJuan Wiliiams, CB, Vanderbilt

we already were the best secondary in the league...but you can have the extra best secondary in the league, and if you don't get to the QB in 5 seconds, that all time best secondary will still get torched....

the drafting for need guys can now go quite though

Jimmy Juan

JJ

I came into this draft with at least TWO things I knew for sure. First we will NOT draft a WR in the first round, and Second was that we didn't need to draft a CB.

Well to say I was unhappy with the way the first part came out is a bit of an understatement if you read any of my post round one posts. So you can probably guess I'm unhappy with the second round choice......and you'd be WRONG!

I think in one post I wrote that I have never met a tall CB that I didn't like. And Joe Johnson might SEEM like a redundant pick, but he isn't. This team thrives on being a week to week game plan specific team, and there will be a LOT of weeks were a relatively slow, not particularly quick 6 foot FOUR CB will come in handy.

This kid has a lot of Richard Sherman in him, and while there might be some who would have rather had Greedy Williams, I think Johnson will be the better CB in the NFL. I LIKE this pick. It looks like most of the TE's I'm excited about will be there at the end of the round to boot as well as a couple of the edge guys.

Graded out at 7.85 I believe just under a 2nd. Seems like a great person. Seems very humble, smart.
You can tell he uses his head bc his lack of long speed isnt a huge - bc his route recognition is a big +. Short stuff, long stuff, double. He isnt fooled often. Seems like a film-head. Hes able to stay pretty tight bc of that. Combined w his length & his speed isnt the biggest of deals.
His press has been talked about at length.
Hes vg at it no doubt but definitely could improve. This is often tied to his matchup though & some technique some again you could obviously match him up w your choice or play the odds there.
Not stiff at all for his size. Should be better at getting INT but that's nitpicking. He gets a pbu & you're happy. Doesn't shy away from the big stage. Showed up against big comp in UG, Ole Miss & others. Big time PTP.

This alone drives his score up to a 2nd player.

wait...we drafted a CB over 5'10"?

uh oh...this is it. Belichick is losing it. This kid is a Seattle/Ravens type defender. I'm scared...

I came into this draft with at least TWO things I knew for sure. First we will NOT draft a WR in the first round, and Second was that we didn't need to draft a CB.

Well to say I was unhappy with the way the first part came out is a bit of an understatement if you read any of my post round one posts. So you can probably guess I'm unhappy with the second round choice......and you'd be WRONG!

I think in one post I wrote that I have never met a tall CB that I didn't like. And Joe Johnson might SEEM like a redundant pick, but he isn't. This team thrives on being a week to week game plan specific team, and there will be a LOT of weeks were a relatively slow, not particularly quick 6 foot FOUR CB will come in handy.

This kid has a lot of Richard Sherman in him, and while there might be some who would have rather had Greedy Williams, I think Johnson will be the better CB in the NFL. I LIKE this pick. It looks like most of the TE's I'm excited about will be there at the end of the round to boot as well as a couple of the edge guys.
I like JoeJuan and think there is real potential. But TBH I thought Harry was an excellent pick. We needed a receiver badly and we got a good one.

I didn't know how to feel about moving up for JoeJuan and felt that we had plenty of depth at the position with young guys like Jackson and JJones under Gilmore and McCourty. But people are comparing him to Sherman and rumor has it the guy was our pick at 32 if not N'Keal. So wtf do I know.

I wasn't expecting this pick and I didn't research this player at all, so I initially thought this was the DB reach of this draft.

The more I read about him the more excited I am. Big dude, agile for his size, film geek, mature and smart. What's not to love? Just lacking vertical speed but we aren't going to put him against DeSean Jackson or similar players anyways.

This is more of a guess but I think JJW will be the long term CB2 after JC Jackson. I'm not sure if we will extend Gilmore past his contract but we will see. I think he can still be elite after 30 but Idk if Bill will offer a big extension.

It’s been said elsewhere, but with Gilmore, this gives us the Browner/Revis secondary again. Joejuan will get the safety help when needed whilst Gilmore locks down the other WR. Or JC plays on the outside whilst Joejuan goes up against a big slot. I love the situational permutations this pick gives us. I’ve been high on this pick for a while for exactly this reason.

Love the pick. I was speculating him being our choice at #32. This is even better and so much more value.

So far this draft has been pretty amazing.

The definition of versatility?? Another piece of the puzzle for a defense that will defy tradition and warrant a new name...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back