PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

Let's assume Mac Jones is as good as Dak Prescott. (So a decent QB but not amazing). How do you think BB does with a guy of that level? Do you think we can really compete with the top teams or are we just a one and done playoff team?

Part of me hopes he is either a home run or total bust. I really don't want to hitch my wagon to an okay starter for 15 years while we hope to break through with an amazing defensive series in the playoffs.

Let's assume Mac Jones is as good as Dak Prescott. (So a decent QB but not amazing). How do you think BB does with a guy of that level? Do you think we can really compete with the top teams or are we just a one and done playoff team?

Part of me hopes he is either a home run or total bust. I really don't want to hitch my wagon to an okay starter for 15 years while we hope to break through with an amazing defensive series in the playoffs.

Using the Dak comparison is good because Mac is coming to a similar situation at the beginning. Not as good a RB talent, but just as good an OL and the running game in general should be good enough to help him. But the big difference in Dallas has been coaching and an egomaniacal owner. Jerry Jones meddles... A LOT. He has certain types of players he likes and he is heavily involved in bringing them in, which undermines his coaches. If he was exceptionally good at team building, it wouldn't matter, but he seems like a guy who looks at players in a vacuum and not how they all fit together.

And I mean, I don't think Dak is a guy who wins it for you by himself (few are), but there's a big gap between Belichick and Garrett/McCarthy when it comes to coaching. I think even with someone like Sean Payton or Pete Carroll, Dak would be more consistently in the playoffs. If Mac can be that, I think we'll be fine. I think we're always going to be a little disappointed with our QB's from now on, because we've seen the best.

Like I've stated before, hand size appears irrelevant to the success of a QB in the NFL. Some people make a big to do about it but Tom Brady for his career was near top of the league in fewest turnovers each year, this includes both fumbles and interceptions. And this while playing 99% of his career in the unforgiving cold weather conditions of New England.

There's a mythical rule of thumb that 9.5" is the ideal hand size, but I could care less TBH.

Just to give real life examples: the GOAT Tom Brady's hand size 9.38". Joe Burrow's hand size 9" flat and #1 overall pick. Patrick Mahomes hand size a mere 9.25" Yet Nobody doubts that he is probably a generational QB talent. Jared Goff hand size 9" two time pro bowler and #1 overall pick.

Read this article please so we can bust this myth together:

Now that you have read the article, can we finally give this MYTH a REST??
Yea I've read that. I don't dispute the stats but I believe is mostly attributed to the player's ability- not hand size. Any hand size 9" or over is fine imo.

I think anyone who has played qb or football will tell you having larger hands helps control throwing the football.

I have to stop watching these videos...my enthusiasm is getting out of hand. Can't wait for camp to start.

I usually roll my eyes about the cliché descriptions used by the scouting community (heavy hands, etc) but he really does have “elite feet”. The way he moves in the pocket really does remind me of a certain QB with 7 SB rings.

I think Bill doesn't value the quarterback position that much. He thinks he can win with a decent QB (recent-past-MVP-Cam, Garoppolo) and he also deemed Jones worthy of a first round pick. So Jones is a decent QB in his eyes.
The question really is, if Bill is right and indeed can win with a "just decent" QB. Better be prepared for a couple one and done seasons, if he is wrong.

I think Bill doesn't value the quarterback position that much. He thinks he can win with a decent QB (recent-past-MVP-Cam, Garoppolo) and he also deemed Jones worthy of a first round pick. So Jones is a decent QB in his eyes.
The question really is, if Bill is right and indeed can win with a "just decent" QB. Better be prepared for a couple one and done seasons, if he is wrong.
We don't know what Bill thinks is his ceiling or floor

Using the Dak comparison is good because Mac is coming to a similar situation at the beginning. Not as good a RB talent, but just as good an OL and the running game in general should be good enough to help him. But the big difference in Dallas has been coaching and an egomaniacal owner. Jerry Jones meddles... A LOT. He has certain types of players he likes and he is heavily involved in bringing them in, which undermines his coaches. If he was exceptionally good at team building, it wouldn't matter, but he seems like a guy who looks at players in a vacuum and not how they all fit together.

And I mean, I don't think Dak is a guy who wins it for you by himself (few are), but there's a big gap between Belichick and Garrett/McCarthy when it comes to coaching. I think even with someone like Sean Payton or Pete Carroll, Dak would be more consistently in the playoffs. If Mac can be that, I think we'll be fine. I think we're always going to be a little disappointed with our QB's from now on, because we've seen the best.
Especially in New England — we have a precedent already. The Red Sox followed up Ted Williams with a freaking HoFer in Carl Yastrzemski, and the town got all over him for not being Ted. No one is going to be Brady and we need to get it out of our minds, as interesting as the Mac comparisons can be. I can only hope he’ll be the Patriots Yaz; that’ll put us in position to win a couple more. But it won’t be Brady.

We don't know what Bill thinks is his ceiling or floor
Thats right. To clarify: He thinks Jones at least can be a decent QB, otherwise he wouldn't spend a first rounder on him. So if Jones turns out to be just on a Garoppolo level, Bill would likely hang on to him for a couple seasons.
Just my point of view.

hold on, we've seen the worst last season, the bar is quite low for him, sure Brady was something else, different universe, but still after last season hard to be disappointed by a QB anymore, that was as low as it gets

hold on, we've seen the worst last season, the bar is quite low for him, sure Brady was something else, different universe, but still after last season hard to be disappointed by a QB anymore, that was as low as it gets

Oh sure, and of course these things fade with time. If 20 years from now we've had nothing but subpar QB play (by any standard), then we're going to stop subconsciously comparing whoever is next to Brady. But I think, with Tom still playing at a high level in the league, it's hard to watch any QB and not think about how it used to look. It's not fair, but it's human nature. I do definitely think though that Mac (when/if he takes over) will benefit from not being the immediate "next guy". For all the frustrations of QB play last year, it's good that Cam took that bullet.

You make a decent point but dont you think with all this Brady comparison with his feet, his body type etc. and Mac's own talk about his similarities to him have kind have erased last year? I think last years contrast between Newton and Jones will be fleeting. It's Brady's shoes people will compare Jone's shoes to.

I think it works both ways. I think (assuming he’s at least modestly decent) people will always say, “at least he’s no Cam.” Though they’ll probably follow it up with a sigh and say, “but he’s no Brady either.”

If Mac Jones puts up 2019 Dak #s they are a final 4 team every year because Bill does not build a team around the QB. He builds a team which includes the QB. Plus he would be a lot better coached.

Someone pointed out that one thing we don’t know about Mac is how he is at making comebacks. During his college career, he almost always played with a sizable lead.

Someone pointed out that one thing we don’t know about Mac is how he is at making comebacks. During his college career, he almost always played with a sizable lead.
Not his fault of course but thats been a big deference between Brady and Rogers. Id rather Jones have the clutch gene over the fantasy football stat gene. Time will tell.

Not his fault of course but thats been a big deference between Brady and Rogers. Id rather Jones have the clutch gene over the fantasy football stat gene. Time will tell.
Right, he’s shown he’s capable of dealing with adversity, such as working hard as the scout team QB at Alabama. And not transferring, instead working harder even when locked out of the facilities. He also overcame his fumble in the national championship. So I think he will, but he’s got to prove it on the field.

Big time agree. You see we had the GOAT for 20 years. Nobody can match up to those expectations. But fortunately for Mac Jones, Cam Newton had a terrible in between season. Cam set the bar low at the QB position, so when Mac Jones steps in he will be like a breath of fresh air and a significant upgrade.

Now I'm not down on Cam. I have heard enough from teammates and coaches to get the feel that he is a great guy, teammate, hardworker, etc. I think he will have a rebound season. But I also see a square peg being forced to fit a round hole in terms of system fit. Mac Jones is a much better scheme fit in terms of his QB skills than Cam Newton. But he is a rookie, and he has to learn the ropes and hold the clipboard for a while behind Cam. We're going to have to wait a bit to unwrap our 'Christmas present'.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back