PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

I mean he doesn't have a cannon arm like Elway or Favre, but it looks plenty strong to me. At least as strong as our ex-QB's arm..

When there’s actual published data about “arm strength” that measures the velocity and distance of a football, and standardizes it by comparing QBs with different throwing lanes, I’d be interested. Until then, I consider it to be a pseudo science designed for confirmation bias. See the data I posted above breaking down MPH and how there is zero correlation between that and the supposed “arm strength” rating by scouts.

When there’s actual published data about “arm strength” that measures the velocity and distance of a football, and standardizes it by comparing QBs with different throwing lanes, I’d be interested. Until then, I consider it to be a pseudo science designed for confirmation bias. See the data I posted above breaking down MPH and how there is zero correlation between that and the supposed “arm strength” rating by scouts.

Who was that QB who could throw 70 yards off his knees but was a total bust? Being able to run 40 yards fast or throw 'fast' is not what a successful QB has to do for 90 snaps. Even after 20 years if another Tom Brady clone came along without the Drew Henson issue and played a full college year, a lot of people would still not value the kid because they're looking for the wrong things.

BB will be fired by Kraft within 2 years.
I’d put my money on Shanahan and Lynch and Nagy and Pace to get fired first. I was cringing when Louis Riddick said Thursday night that Nagy and Pace are depending on Fields to succeed to keep their jobs. How awkward is that for the quarterback?

He not only got a BA, he also got his Masters.
Of course the key thing is not his book smarts but his football intelligence, but that seems to really be a strength with him also.

Who was that QB who could throw 70 yards off his knees but was a total bust? Being able to run 40 yards fast or throw 'fast' is not what a successful QB has to do for 90 snaps. Even after 20 years if another Tom Brady clone came along without the Drew Henson issue and played a full college year, a lot of people would still not value the kid because they're looking for the wrong things.

Kyle Boller

And tons of other guys like him as well, all being hailed for their “arm strength.” Many of them even look deficient in actual games, like they throw change ups. The scouting of these guys seems filled with nonsense like pre-analytics baseball scouting reports.

Eb Dawson from Green Acres

Green-Acres-Star-Tom-Lester-Dead-at-81.jpg

Mac Jones from Foxboro
4241464.png

He not only got a BA, he also got his Masters.

he graduated with his BA in 3 years. i suspect the masters degree was so he could continue to have playing eligibility..

Jones did not throw to his tight ends much. I know bb went out of his way to get two quality tight ends, unless the fire hydrants we had last year.

once Jones gets in there, white will become a asset for him on check downs.

I hope you’re right, but this all best case scenario stuff. Loaded? No positional weakness? This team has so many question marks with free agents coming in and not knowing how they’ll mesh. Also, just because they pay a lot of money to some of these skill players doesn’t mean they’re great. Henry and Smith are not great players but at least are solid starters. Algohor might have had a breakout season to establish himself as a 1A or 2 receiver but maybe not. These guys are better than some of the scrubs they’ve out there but this is far from a loaded offense.

On defense, it’s enough for an entire post, but I think it’s a big stretch to expect a top 3 unit. And Matt Patricia does the opposite of making it an aggressive scheme; let’s hope he stays far away from the gameplanning since Flores showed us how Patricia’s passive schemes were not ideal.

Well, the only weakness you sort of get at is receiver, which is fair. But that group of wideouts - Agholor, Meyers, Bourne and Harry is just fine by me. N'Keal Harry as the #4 seems about right. They instantly get better with Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry on the field. James White returning was big, and the return of fullback Danny Vitale is huge.

If you have an entire post about the weaknesses of this defense, I'd love to read it. I do not see any position that is a concern. The draft picks at DE and DT added speed and explosiveness to what was already a solid group front 3 or front 4. The linebacking crew is superb and experienced, and the secondary is arguably the best in the NFL. Belichick is going to have to cut a couple of very good defensive players when they have to get down to 53.

The defense was 8th in ppg allowed in 2020, and that was with an offense that sucked and couldn't mount time consuming drives. The 2021 defense is much better and so is the offense.

Last edited:
Even if Mac Jones bust, to be able to get a realistic shot at a franchise QB with the 15th pick is typically good value. Usually if you don't pick in the top 5 or at least top 10 you taking a fairly long. I'd say only 1 in 3-4 years do QBs of Mac's potential fall outside the top 10.

Might as well put this here. Thoughts on MY QB (TO voice)
Like many of Bill's picks he wouldn't have been my choice but like you I'm happy we have a QB with some promise/hope. I like Mac a lot tbh just don't like the value here. I've said he's a Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G type/tier QB for months now (which isn't a bad thing, some posters didn't like that but I'm seeing those comps today). Good QB's that can handle/process info, adjust and deliver accurate passes. Guys that look right, things look right-like they should be. Guys that aren't going to hurt you but at the same time they aren't making players better, they're efficient and keep things moving. So again the value wasn't there for me, obviously Bill/Josh & co felt different.

Ultimately landing spot matters and if it's 30% for everyone else it's 40-50% for QB's. Jones landed in a Lamborghini though. Him & Mills were probably the best MOF passers in last year and we're set there as we've been discussing since we made the signings. The biggest advantage he had in college was his OL, we're set there if we stay healthy. Defense is weird and doesn't really translate so we could be a lot better there as well. Obviously our coaching is top notch. Mac needs all that and some to make it work but we have that. Seemingly we're set up to compete day one. Or at least we should be, Cam or Mac. I'm not putting crazy expectations on Mac but he's the 15th overall pick on a team that on paper is pretty good. He shouldn't be sitting game 1 imo. If he can't beat out Cam we're in trouble. Cam will come in hot. This is his last round in the fight but if Mac can't KO shaky-legs Cam why would you take him at 15? I think Cam is going to be better but this has to be Mac's team. I said a few days ago whoever the guy is has to win the job clean bc Bill isn't handing the job to anyone and isn't making a move to make a move. If Cam comes out on fire, looks the part he has a decent chance. We heard it last night 2 minutes after we picked Jones, "Cam is our starter."

I genuinely believe Bill & Josh signed off on this considering Josh is going to be hip to hip with him. Maybe Kraft too. Doesn't feel like a Bill pick, who knows. Like we waited, he fell. This wasn't an urgent pick, plenty of opportunities to jump up for Fields or Mac and they did neither. I feel like Bill gave clearance and basically Josh picked the guy he would be most comfortable working with towards success. Bill made the pick but I honestly believe Josh is the one picked the guy after the team spent what they did in FA to get this thing back on track.

As for Mac the player. His arm gets called into question a lot but truthfully it's his biggest asset to date. Obviously not his velocity or strength but he has very good placement, touch - accuracy. He can later it in there, in between defenders. It's not great (Burrow is great, just so we're in reality) but really good is more than enough and strength can easily improve.

Most credit his mechanics, which aren't bad but most aren't Bacon. Let's be honest the draft is a summer hot spot outsiders come to thinking they own the place. Bacon is a dirty townie that calls that ****hole home. Mac's mechanics aren't bad but aren't in their final form or utilized properly. Footwork isn't the problem here, that breaks down when he's moved off his spot and has to reset. Forget about "running", some are stuck on this, this is pocket issue. He base and feet are balanced, decent weight distribution but could be a little better. Footwork is a + overall
Tough to look for bc he was kept clean so often (seriously that OL was crazy, everyone will be drafted and play, Neal might be a lottery pick next year), some plays don't stand out and narratives get set but his throwing motion could be tweaked a bit some as well. Launch point, follow through could be looked at imo. That would go a long way. Both can be fixed to an extent although I'm not an expert.

I love his anticipation. He had his hand held but he knew what was going on. Everyone talks about his comp % which doesn't matter to me tbh. You have to understand what each guy is doing or trying to do to really appreciate those stats. 60% of the time he passed behind the los, screens or it was an RPO. Beyond that, between design, OL, WR's he had a clean pocket, ton of time and a lot or stuff was predetermined. Like just bc a QB looks a certain side or w/e doesn't mean that's a "read". So again it helps to know what each team/QB was trying to do. Still Jones passes with really good anticipation. He doesn't panic or advertise, he knows exactly what's up and hits his target with great timing. Ball is moving before his target is looking for the ball. He really displays knowledge for the system, you can tell he was studying while waiting. It sticks out in this area. His behavior, movements and actions on the field speak to someone in control. He doesn't have the greatest poise when things are breaking down, feet get a little happy but he's in command, in control of the situation, down & distance and what's in front of him. Knows where/who his hot reads are but the closer pressure comes in the harder it is for him to locate.

Played big in big games. College was a mess last year and SEC was no different. That said he played great in the biggest games which matter a lot more than what conference you're in.

Release is good not great (again like the Burrow comp, look to Jimmy coming out. Much quicker release and quicker feet tbh) Good enough though

His upside or peak isn't a secret. He could absolutely improve on a few things as I mentioned above but it's his mental game that will take him to the next level imo. Don't ignore the obvious. He's not going to get much for accurate. Strength and velocity could improve but he'll probably never have a top tier arm in that sense. You never stop learning though. The nuances and little things that most will try to power through. Studying individual tendencies and tells. Which DC likes this call against this alignment or formation. He could be a little quicker overall. From getting the ball out, release, handing it off, the way he handles himself and others. Certainly not bad but again if we're talking about maximizing here he needs to be on fire doing those things, nothing is slow or robotic.

I'm happy bc I'm a Pats fan first and I root for everyone. Not this player or coach. Whether I love the player doesn't matter, he's a Pat. We absolutely need a QB and even though I might not have picked him I can recognize his talent and abilities. I think he's starting day one although I absolutely believe Cam will be ready.

A lot of the knock on Jones is that he's some sort of stiff whose "only" skill is passing the ball to a teammate :rolleyes: Apparently, unless you can run around in the backfield like a startled coyote for 10 seconds while a WR gets open *eventually*, then you're just no good in the "new" NFL. QBs now seemingly shouldn't worry too much about the playbook. as long as he can handle "unscheduled" plays i.e. blown plays, then he'll do just fine.

Weird thing is I don't see Burrows or Lawrence (last two No. 1 picks) as the Lance/Mahomes/Rogers/Wilson type. They can step into the pocket and scramble for a few yards, but to me they are primarily pocket passers. Just think this Mahomes obsession is skewing people's opinion on what QBs should do. Just because he does it doesn't mean that what everyone else does is old school and redundant.

A lot of the knock on Jones is that he's some sort of stiff whose "only" skill is passing the ball to a teammate :rolleyes: Apparently, unless you can run around in the backfield like a startled coyote for 10 seconds while a WR gets open *eventually*, then you're just no good in the "new" NFL. QBs now seemingly shouldn't worry too much about the playbook. as long as he can handle "unscheduled" plays i.e. blown plays, then he'll do just fine.

Weird thing is I don't see Burrows or Lawrence (last two No. 1 picks) as the Lance/Mahomes/Rogers/Wilson type. They can step into the pocket and scramble for a few yards, but to me they are primarily pocket passers. Just think this Mahomes obsession is skewing people's opinion on what QBs should do. Just because he does it doesn't mean that what everyone else does is old school and redundant.

I think mobile QB's are overvalued now and pocket passers are undervalued. its been that way for a few years now. I What teams forget though is running around and being athletic is nice but isnt whats most important for a QB. Also, the pocket passers generally have a longer shelf life.

I'm pretty excited about this and love the way he Vince Mcmahon'd himself down to the podium when he was picked. So glad we didn't bundle up 3 years worth of assets to move up 3 weeks ago like some wanted to do. Cam will start but he will have to win to keep his job. So long as we win I don't care who plays but it's hard to imagine he keeps the job for very long.

I'm pretty excited about this and love the way he Vince Mcmahon'd himself down to the podium when he was picked.
Just wanted to get their quick in case they changed their minds :D

What Jersey number he will ask for/get ? #10 (College #) ? #12 (TB's old #) ?

NOW this is ironic!!!!!

1619964149715.png

1619964215088.png

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill