PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

I nailed the Harry is a BUST pick from day one.

Im dead on the money about Mac as well. When has a rookie QB come in and won a Super Bowl in his rookie season? Its never happened. So, dont make any plans to attend the 2021 Super Bowl as this Patriots team gets another year older and squanders the good fortune of guys staying healthy.
You say every draft pick the Patriots make is a bust.

Well let's see. I would have liked to see him taken in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I'm happy to be wrong. In watching him, my major concern is arm strength, which to me seems to be well below average at the pro level. Also seemed like much of his production in college won't translate to the pro level, meaning he had crazy time to throw. But that doesn't mean that he can't find other ways to do it in the pros.
There are def some positives there as well even if I wasn't as high on him as some others.

Well let's see. I would have liked to see him taken in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I'm happy to be wrong. In watching him, my major concern is arm strength, which to me seems to be well below average at the pro level. Also seemed like much of his production in college won't translate to the pro level, meaning he had crazy time to throw. But that doesn't mean that he can't find other ways to do it in the pros.
There are def some positives there as well even if I wasn't as high on him as some others.
I’m sure some time with a NFL regimen and clearly he doesn’t have a strict diet not his body is his temple kind of guy. Now that this is a job and strict as Saban is the pressure of being a first round pick and Belichick and McDaniels on top of you. My guess is we start to see improvement physically in the next 6 months. As well as start to hear in camp his arm is better than anticipated.
Arm strength can improve in many different ways. He may never whistle the ball but if he can improve on the arm strength 20 percent where he is at which is certainly possible. We have a top 10 QB in making. The Miami New England matches over the next couple years with Tua and Mac will be fun to watch.

I'm ok with the pick, but I'm not sure how I feel about the Pats' QB having bigger boobs than my wife...not that there's anything wrong with that.

You can make changes to the wife if she is agreeable.... costs a couple grand though. :) KIDDING... Love the pick!

Just wondered if this pick has been based on recent performance or has BB had his eye on Jones for longer as a fit for the Pats.

FWIW, My CEO wife watched through pick 20 with me, just to be companionable.
After Jones came out on stage and spoke, she said, "He's the one kid who isn't phased by this at all, and believes he belongs."

I’m sure some time with a NFL regimen and clearly he doesn’t have a strict diet not his body is his temple kind of guy. Now that this is a job and strict as Saban is the pressure of being a first round pick and Belichick and McDaniels on top of you. My guess is we start to see improvement physically in the next 6 months. As well as start to hear in camp his arm is better than anticipated.
Arm strength can improve in many different ways. He may never whistle the ball but if he can improve on the arm strength 20 percent where he is at which is certainly possible. We have a top 10 QB in making. The Miami New England matches over the next couple years with Tua and Mac will be fun to watch.
Brady had to work on his arm strength the first year he was here, how did that turn out?

Who the F cares about which QB looks the best in underwear? He can get Abs no problem, for those on this board concerned that his belly does not look like Marky Mark. That is so far down the list as to what is important for your franchise QB...that it does not register.
Kid is a leader and will work his butt off

I too thought he was closer to being second round worthy than first but can't hate on the fact that he fell right to us at 15. If the rumors are true that the Pats were making phone calls to move up I'll back away only just a little from the kudos BB is getting this morning for not trading up to get his man but it worked out well as it played out.

Not going to compare him either to Brady. Brady's work ethic and intangibles are once in a generation and it would be unfair to do that. I like what I'm hearing so far and I think we'll see lots of improvement in his first year.

Im dead on the money about Mac as well. When has a rookie QB come in and won a Super Bowl in his rookie season? Its never happened. So, dont make any plans to attend the 2021 Super Bowl as this Patriots team gets another year older and squanders the good fortune of guys staying healthy.
This isn't even wrong, it's just irrelevant. Nobody drafts a rookie QB for what they'll do in their rookie season. It's for what they'll hopefully do the next 10+ years after that.

As far as fit goes, he’s a natural fit for the team. He’s played for a demanding coach in Saban in a very similar offensive system. The terminology of the E-P will probably be the same as it was with Brady. I’d like to see us get a burner like Moore or Tamorrion Terry/Brown/Rogers on day 2-3. Sarkisian helped Jones a lot by using a lot of pre-snap motion to get his playmakers off the press and get open looks quickly on slants, hooks, sluggo routes, or posts. He knows the kind of work that’s expected of him and I hope that he means the end of Stidham and supplants Cam by mid season. His career will be compared to Fields at the end of the day, but he has the potential to be very successful here. Not a ton of passing attempts at the college level, but he was obviously successful. Not a lot of turnover worthy throws and he was smart with the football. He needs to hit the weights, though. His legs are toothpicks and he can stand to gain some mobility from inside the pocket.

As far as fit goes, he’s a natural fit for the team. He’s played for a demanding coach in Saban in a very similar offensive system. The terminology of the E-P will probably be the same as it was with Brady. I’d like to see us get a burner like Moore or Tamorrion Terry/Brown/Rogers on day 2-3. Sarkisian helped Jones a lot by using a lot of pre-snap motion to get his playmakers off the press and get open looks quickly on slants, hooks, sluggo routes, or posts. He knows the kind of work that’s expected of him and I hope that he means the end of Stidham and supplants Cam by mid season. His career will be compared to Fields at the end of the day, but he has the potential to be very successful here. Not a ton of passing attempts at the college level, but he was obviously successful. Not a lot of turnover worthy throws and he was smart with the football. He needs to hit the weights, though. His legs are toothpicks and he can stand to gain some mobility from inside the pocket.
He's built like Brady. No QB will ever be Tom Brady but Jones is built the same way and has some of the same strengths. 77% of his passes last year? Thats impressive, maybe it was inflated by a stellar O line and a lot of weapons but we see what he can do on tape, Prospects coming out of Alabama are typically very well coached

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back