PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

I'd hate to see who BillB would have picked if Jonesy was not there @ 15. :rolleyes:
Trade down, I think Pittsburgh ends up with Mond or Mills now.
I liked Mond and Mills better that Mac but in BB I’ll trust.
Most important question is what did The Wolf think?

Dane Brugler's summary on Mac Jones:

A one-year starter at Alabama, Jones was a prolific passer in former offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian’s spread scheme. After backing up Tagovailoa in 2019, Jones won the starting job in 2020 and led Alabama to the national championship. He set a new NCAA single-season record for completion percentage (77.4%) and became the first player in school history to reach 4,500 passing yards in a season. Jones is an especially challenging evaluation because he played in a near-perfect situation in Tuscaloosa with an elite offensive line, running game, pass-catchers, and play-calling, which makes it tough to evaluate him independent of his surroundings. However, he still had to make the reads and the throws and he displayed advanced-level poise and anticipation. Overall, Jones doesn’t have elite-level mobility or arm strength, but he is good enough in those areas and he is poised, hyper-competitive, and doesn’t make mistakes. He projects as a high-floor NFL starter.

Belichick just aced this board. Got his guy and didn’t move a lick. The sour face at the Bama Pro Day was a nice touch.
For guys like Belichick, sour faces are signs of approval..... means they are interested and have high expectations for you. If he didn’t like Jones, he wouldn’t have reacted at all....

For guys like Belichick, sour faces are signs of approval..... means they are interested and have high expectations for you. If he didn’t like Jones, he wouldn’t have reacted at all....

Disappointment is always better than apathy. Apathy means you've given up.

(Disclaimer: I don't actually think the sour face meant a damn thing without context. This is just a general philosophy).

A lot better than some random DB who's projected to go in the 5th round.

I get the PTSD, but they've never done that in the first round.

The fact both him and Mcdnaiels were at his pro day I would love to have a sit down with Bill and Josh and talk to them about their pro day.

I remember reading that one of the throws that Mac Jones did during his Pro Day was bad and the TV pointed at towards BillB with disgust and saying something not suitable for children....

:oops:

Dane Brugler's summary on Mac Jones:

A one-year starter at Alabama, Jones was a prolific passer in former offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian’s spread scheme. After backing up Tagovailoa in 2019, Jones won the starting job in 2020 and led Alabama to the national championship. He set a new NCAA single-season record for completion percentage (77.4%) and became the first player in school history to reach 4,500 passing yards in a season. Jones is an especially challenging evaluation because he played in a near-perfect situation in Tuscaloosa with an elite offensive line, running game, pass-catchers, and play-calling, which makes it tough to evaluate him independent of his surroundings. However, he still had to make the reads and the throws and he displayed advanced-level poise and anticipation. Overall, Jones doesn’t have elite-level mobility or arm strength, but he is good enough in those areas and he is poised, hyper-competitive, and doesn’t make mistakes. He projects as a high-floor NFL starter.
Soon to be heard on Felger and Mazz: "Mac beats out Cam in training camp, Cam cut before week 1, you heard it here first!"

Absolutely spot on

Soon to be heard on Felger and Mazz: "Mac beats out Cam in training camp, Cam cut before week 1, you heard it here first!"

Highly doubt it. No way BillB starts Jonesy. No matter what they say about "Pro Ready"...

Here's a Jonesy throw mechanics breakdown video....

That's too positive a take for F&M. It'll be angled more like: "If Mac doesn't beat out CAM FREAKIN' NEWTON for week 1, he's a BUST, Mike!"

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back