PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Bailey Zappe - QB - pick #137

Another great pick after Strong, the kid was crazy productive and accurate at Western Kentucky. You never want to assume Mac can't regress and want to provide a fire behind him in solid competition.
episode 2 shortage GIF
Season 4 Scientist GIF by The Simpsons
episode 8 presentation GIF
Flying Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons
homer simpson GIF
homer simpson episode 10 GIF

You think there are day one starters on defense available at pick 137?
I said “help the team”, not “start from day 1”. Getting a day 1 starter in round 4 is rare- although it does happen. Getting a guy to help is much more common.

If the kid shows he belongs within the next year or two then that is a big plus for the team at the most important position.
It puts a fire under Mac’s butt and gets the competitive juices running. That translates into gameday
If Mac is the real deal in 4 years and Zappe also is showing promise then we trade him for much more than a fourth round pick
Competition makes everyone better

This is what you do with a back up QB. You grab a guy who might develop into something, not a guy off the nfl scrap heap who’s going to suck when they play.

With almost every nfl team in almost every year If you’re down to your backup QB you’re probably dinked

Unfortunately for the kid, aholes like me will be comparing him to the next guy drafted (Calvin Austin III) for years to come. Sorry Bailey; it is not your fault.

As a couple others have said - they needed a backup QB but Zappe is also a guy who has the potential to develop into a good QB. Bill knows this and will want a guy who can keep Mac working hard. While I don’t necessarily have reason to think Mac will slack after a couple years, there’s a big difference between his backup being Hoyer or some other old journeyman vs. a young rookie who wants to make his own career.

And Mac knows if Zappe looks better than him at some point, Bill will start him. He did it 20 years ago.

As a couple others have said - they needed a backup QB but Zappe is also a guy who has the potential to develop into a good QB. Bill knows this and will want a guy who can keep Mac working hard. While I don’t necessarily have reason to think Mac will slack after a couple years, there’s a big difference between his backup being Hoyer or some other old journeyman vs. a young rookie who wants to make his own career.

And Mac knows if Zappe looks better than him at some point, Bill will start him. He did it 20 years ago.
i get that completely but when you see what you could have done instead with this pick it's making me liking the selection less.
I know we don't know if the pats liked him or not but imagine using the third we traded to carolina and a fourth or sth. to trade up in the third and select travis jones.
How would our D-Line and draft class look then? He would help our d line immediately and so our complete defense.

i get that completely but when you see what you could have done instead with this pick it's making me liking the selection less.
I know we don't know if the pats liked him or not but imagine using the third we traded to carolina and a fourth or sth. to trade up in the third and select travis jones.
How would our D-Line and draft class look then? He would help our d line immediately and so our complete defense.

I agree, but the Pats were not intrigued by Travis Jones for some reason. I am not sure why, and they must have another plan because it will be tough to watch the same guys as 2021.

I agree, but the Pats were not intrigued by Travis Jones for some reason. I am not sure why, and they must have another plan because it will be tough to watch the same guys as 2021.
yup, sometimes i wish i could ask groh where they had johnson, jones and booth rated.

yup, sometimes i wish i could ask groh where they had johnson, jones and booth rated.

Booth? Why Booth? I consistently said I think he is a liability on the outside and he dropped to pick #42, so I think most evaluators passed on him. Johnson I agree on. You think we needed another Jones ;)

Booth? Why Booth? I consistently said I think he is a liability on the outside and he dropped to pick #42, so I think most evaluators passed on him. Johnson I agree on. You think we needed another Jones ;)
i like booth on the outside. I know he had injuries and not much experience so there is a lot projection in this player but at 42 i would easily pull the trigger and select him. I would have selected him at 29, in fact i sat in front of the tv and said "booth, it's gotta be booth now, do it" and well we all know what happened then

yeah another jones in the d line is less confusing than in the secondary :D

Draft Playlist

People are Strange
(I got nothin for Tyquan Thornton)
Everybody Must Be Jones (Rainy Day Picks no. 85 and 121)
Strong (pick your artist)
Anything by Zappa obviously
Almost Cut My Harris
(Noithing but really bad stretches for Sam Roberts... you guys?)
Chasen After You
California Steuber Alles

Terrible pick on an otherwise udfa. Should picked Z. Mccollum cb, amare barno edge, just about anybody.
4th rounder on a qb who is short and will never amount to anything. Udfa.

I always wonder why the draft geniuses like you aren’t working in scouting departments? Don’t get me wrong, there are a few poster’s here who really know their sh.t, and contribute to a level where they should actually think about trying to get a scouting job. You however, aren’t one of them.

Wiggins being Wiggins but there are some really terrible takes out there with this idea. SMH.

The entire NFL wasn't intrigued with Jones, though. The collective draft media freaked out when the Patriots took a supposed 3rd rounder in the late 1st, but none of them are talking about how badly they misevaluated Jones to put a late 1st or early 2nd grade on a guy we actually know the NFL didn’t pick until the third.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back