PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 3 Pre Game Thread - Ravens @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how to feel about this game.

On one hand the Ravens don't look good. Lamar is great, but they haven't been able to run the ball with their running backs and their passing offense is really boom or bust. If the Pats can prevent explosive plays by playing heavy coverage I don't think the Ravens can consistently move the ball by taking what the defense gives them underneath. The Ravens defense seems pretty bad against the pass, but I'm not sure the Pats have the passing game to take advantage of that.

On the other hand, I could see the Patriots come out and make mental mistakes that lead to explosive plays for the Ravens and turnovers given up.

Coming into the season I expected the first 4 games to be really difficult. After watching the Ravens against Miami and the Packers struggle offensively in their first team against a defense that got lit up by the Eagles yesterday. Honestly, I don't think the Ravens or Packers are really that good. Unfortunately the Pats aren't that good either.
Hey, if Joe Flacco and Tua Tagovailoa can exploit the Ravens defense for over 700 yards and 7 TDs, the Patriots can certainly unleash its deep stable of TEs, RBs and WRs on the Ravens.
tombstone-hells-coming-with-me.jpg

Hey, if Joe Flacco and Tua Tagovailoa can exploit the Ravens defense for over 700 yards and 7 TDs, the Patriots can certainly unleash its deep stable of TEs, RBs and WRs on the Ravens.
View attachment 45550
That would be the best possible option. I would love to see this passing offense break out.

The Ravens blitzed Tua 15 times last Sunday.

Safe to imagine that we will see more pressure on Jones.

I don’t think we will see as much of that. I’d expect Cover-1 man under or Cover-2 zone to flood those underneath areas and force Mac to try to beat them deep. They blitzed Tua that much because they knew their corners couldn’t contain Hill and Waddle, so they gambled on trying to get to Tua before he could get the ball to either of them.

I DO expect a healthy dose of disguise where it will look like they’re bringing pressure on one side, then drop into coverage along with the DE/OLB while a safety or backer on the other side comes. But, they’ll still likely be rushing 4 most of the time in obvious passing situations.

Last edited:
This hair kills me:

I know a lot of us are much older than him but you wouldn't know it by looking at him. The kid needs to work on his image some yikes.
Scared Season 5 GIF by Broad City

Ravens ranked 32nd (last) in pass defense last season. It's only week two but again they're 32nd. This should be a get right game for Mac and the passing offense. Will probably need it with as good a start to the season as Jackson is having.

Gotta get these tight ends involved. Got to. It's time. Winnable game at home.

One of these things is not like the others..

I agree and congrats to you for actually reading a post. So why did I include Rogers in that list? 1) Because he moves around in the pocket and uses so many different arm angles he buys additional time without running, and 2) we play the Packers next week ;). So watch all of the media talk about Rogers "play making" ability, which is true, and how do the Pats stop that? With Hightower and Van Noy, or with a six man front and two fast strong safeties?

Any suggestions on where to eat before I get inside? Obviously not fast food but new to the area this time and would love to try some Boston signature meals.

I don’t think we will see as much of that. I’d expect Cover-1 man under or Cover-2 zone to flood those underneath areas and force Mac to try to beat them deep. They blitzed Tua that much because they knew their corners couldn’t contain Hill and Waddle, so they gambled on trying to get to Tua before he could get the ball to either of them.

I DO expect a healthy dose of disguise where it will look like they’re bringing pressure on one side, then drop into coverage along with the DE/OLB while a safety or backer on the other side comes. But, they’ll still likely be rushing 4 most of the time in obvious passing situations.
Baltimore will lose then.

Pitt did not blitz and let Jones have all day to throw,

Maybe.
But perhaps it didn't work so well for them.
But they did not use Flores strategy only rushing 4.

Jones was never sacked and the Pats had the ball for 7 more minutes than the Steelers. 2 - 6 minute plus drives and the last 6 minute drive sealed the Steelers fate.

Baltimore will lose then.

Pitt did not blitz and let Jones have all day to throw,
They don’t need to blitz to get pressure. You can do that through disguise, stunts, and twists. It’s more important that they choke off the underneath and intermediate stuff. If they blitz, they give our offense what they want - wide open slants and crossers. If they don’t blitz, Mac has to hold the ball longer.

My thoughts:

On D

- keep the ends wide, play contain on Lamar. Don’t let him get out wide.
- LB spy on Lamar for runs up the middle
- zone coverage with safety’s back. The Ravens love the deep shot
- make them drive the field. Andrews will get his, but make the stops in the red zone and force field goals

On O

- attack them, let’s see 3 and 4 wide sets
- stretch the field with Algholor and Bourne
- Mac in the shotgun, give him an extra second to scan field
- once we make them keep their safety’s back hit them with the run
- I think we need 25 or more to win. Let’s not play conservatively

Jackson's TD pass was a wide-open 5 yard pass with a 70+ yard run.

Jackson's a very serious running threat but not so scary passing.

I still wouldn't bet against him though. He's unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back