PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 3 pre-game discussion... we're on to Oakland...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,Raiders have won 2 games and the win over the Saints was surprising. However in my opinion Raiders are not even close to Seahawks as a team. This game will verify our strength as a team and show us our real power. LVR is a must win game because our schedule is not favourable. Bills,Ravens,Chiefs,49ers or Cardinals are going to be tougher games.
I am not trying to be pessimistic but to get the playoffs spot would be a very difficult task.

S Calhoun is a part of the Patriots defense, you know you’re in trouble. That guy shouldn’t be playing on anyone defense . (even as a backup) . This is going to be old fashion football game, here comes the run - stop it.( 200 yards rushing) The Raiders don’t need H Ruggs this game.( although expect Rico Gafford - Ruggs lite to be activated for this game.

Raiders defense Ends should apply constant pressure all game off the corner. DT Maliek Collins time to eat against the backup Patriots center.

S Calhoun is a part of the Patriots defense, you know you’re in trouble. That guy shouldn’t be playing on anyone defense . (even as a backup) . This is going to be old fashion football game, here comes the run - stop it.( 200 yards rushing) The Raiders don’t need H Ruggs this game.( although expect Rico Gafford - Ruggs lite to be activated for this game.

Raiders defense Ends should apply constant pressure all game off the corner. DT Maliek Collins time to eat against the backup Patriots center.

200 rushing yards?

The Raiders can rush for 300 yards as long as its between the 20 yard lines.

Raiders are coming off a big win and the Pats are coming off a tough loss.

Patriots need this game more @ KC next week. Pats are looking at 3 straight losses if they drop the Vegas game at home. A no frills plan is to try to win all your 8 home games and a couple more road games and youre standing @ 10 - 6 and probably qualify for the post season.

The Raiders will probably play two Te’s ( D Waller 6’6 255, and Jason Witten 6’6 265/ F Moreau ) with B Edwards 6’3 215 as the lone Wr, with Rb Josh Jacobs and Fb Alec Ingold. I expect the Raiders to come out running the football down down the Patriots undersized Defense line Throat .
I think we see Rico Gafford (/poor man Henry Ruggs this week) .

Witten? Old man WItten?

Week one: 1 catch, 2 yards.
Week two: 1 catch, 3 yards.

WItten is a shadow of his former self. We are going to completely ignore him and dare Carr to target Witten all afternoon long.

And his blocking?

This is going to be old fashion football game, here comes the run - stop it.( 200 yards rushing) The Raiders don’t need H Ruggs this game.( although expect Rico Gafford - Ruggs lite to be activated for this game.

Really enjoy the opposing team fans that come in to talk football, and not throw hyperbole around.

Witten? Old man WItten?

WItten is a shadow of his former self. We are going to completely ignore him and dare Carr to target Witten all afternoon long.

And his blocking?

Go watch Jason Witten blocking .
Witten? Old man WItten?

And his blocking?

Raiders have enough weapons on offense Jason Witten has been big for his blocking. Let’s see I believe he’s taking some defense lineman by the name of Cam Jordan.
Thats why stats are for losers, as there are players that have to do the dirty work, so your stars can shine.

Do you see that pocket with two backup on the offense line. The Saints front seven is light years better than the Patriots.

Raiders are coming off a big win and the Pats are coming off a tough loss.

Patriots need this game more @ KC next week. Pats are looking at 3 straight losses if they drop the Vegas game at home. A no frills plan is to try to win all your 8 home games and a couple more road games and youre standing @ 10 - 6 and probably qualify for the post season.
I would be ok if we start 2-2 the first 4 games

I just do not fear the Raiders WRs.

The Pats just faced 2 of the best WRs in the NFL with DK Metcalf and Kevin Lockett. Seattle is so loaded at WR that Phil Dorsett and Josh Gordon are not needed when they would be starting in NE if still on the roster.

Either Jacobs or Waller is going to be taken away from Carr.

I just do not fear the Raiders WRs.

The Pats just faced 2 of the best WRs in the NFL with DK Metcalf and Kevin Lockett. Seattle is so loaded at WR that Phil Dorsett and Josh Gordon are not needed when they would be starting in NE if still on the roster.

Either Jacobs or Waller is going to be taken away from Carr.
[/QUOTE

Hunter Renfrow is a way younger version of Julian Edelman . Rookie Wr B Edwards is South Carolina all-time leading receiver, Carr compares him to Davante Adams( his college teammate). Edwards has very strong hands( M Lattimore found out) and will go up and get it. . Zay Jones and Nelson Agholor will see some action. Like I say previous I expect Rico Gafford to make his 2020 debut.( with Ruggs out).

You can take away the wr’s, and the Te, and the Rbs will kill you in the receiving game. Josh Jacobs, Jalen Richard, Devontae Booker , and might see Theo Riddick this week Fb Alec Ingold can catch coming out of the backfield.

Raiders have enough weapons on offense Jason Witten has been big for his blocking. Let’s see I believe he’s taking some defense lineman by the name of Cam Jordan.
Thats why stats are for losers, as there are players that have to do the dirty work, so your stars can shine.

Do you see that pocket with two backup on the offense line. The Saints front seven is light years better than the Patriots.

Stats are for losers, but one picture is all it takes to line up a winner......BTW, one starting DL for the saints is someone the pats let go

For your reading pleasure:

First year rookie WRs can certainly be studs, but Ruggs is already hurt. We may look back at the end of this season and see that Edward's is the real deal.

Moreau, Agholor and Renfrow. If Jacobs or Waller are shut down can those WRs step up and fill the loss in production? I don't see it.

Witten needs to get with Gronk about CBD oil.

Makes a TE feel 2 years younger.

That isn’t good that your run defense isn’t up to,par with previous pats defense. Because you know you will be getting a heavy dose of the Raiders running game( Josh Jacobs) . All Raiders TE’s are complete Te’s. ( D Waller 6’6 255 , F Moreau 6’4 255 , and Jason Witten 6’6 265 )TE’s that are excellent blockers and very good receivers. Gruden will play with two Te formations, and sometimes three tightends.

Raiders offense line is one of the biggest , and is very good even without T Brown, and R Incognito.
Raiders have one of the better Fbs Alec Ingold.
Keep hammering the Patriots undersized defense, and play action to Henry Ruggs deep.

Raiders offense can do a lot of things , and isn’t relying on the running game. They can beat you with the pass. But you have to prove you can stop the run first , because Gruden will keep pounding away Unmericufully.
Bad news is the Raiders running game is much more potent than the Seattle running game.

Thanks for the insight. I will say this game should be the first time in a while that the teams will be closely matched. Injuries on both sides matter.

I don’t think a Cam offense is a great matchup for your defense though. QBs similar to Cam have had their way with you guys, certainly last season. Should be a lot of points scored.

Last edited:

Why don't you watch some tape before you open your mouth?

Actually I did watch the blocking. They win some, they lose some. They're certainly better than a lot of the tight ends out there at blocking. But to call them "excellent blockers"? Maybe you should watch peak Gronkowski tape to see what a proper blocking tight end is. Witten looks old, he used to be much better at blocking. Moreau looks like the most competent blocker of the bunch from limited tape. Waller has quickness but can be had with the grab and yank technique.

And to call your FB who blocks like a RB one of the better FB's? You clearly have a low standard of blocking as a whole.

Last edited:
The Raiders will probably play two Te’s ( D Waller 6’6 255, and Jason Witten 6’6 265/ F Moreau ) with B Edwards 6’3 215 as the lone Wr, with Rb Josh Jacobs and Fb Alec Ingold. I expect the Raiders to come out running the football down down the Patriots undersized Defense line Throat .
I think we see Rico Gafford (/poor man Henry Ruggs this week) .
Can you explain for me why your beast of a running back is averaging 3.5 ypc behind the best OL in the league?

So Belichick is 2-0 against Gruden head to head - not a lot of history to go on and a loooong time ago to boot. Both teams with significant injuries to deal with on the OL (Andrews and Brown respectively both of which are key components). Raiders offensive style has been similar in both their games while the Patriots have show two very different approaches.

I'd agree its strength vs weakness regarding Raiders running game and Pats front seven, but it is a fatal flaw or can it be schemed away? Because of the Ravens 3 TE approach last year the "big DB/small LB" position with Phillips, Dugger and JJ Williams may be an equalizer in the play action game that hurt the Pats last year vs. the Ravens. The Raiders WRs are not so strong that there's concern against the rest of the Pats secondary.

The Raiders defense will have its hands full trying to prepare for two very different styles on a short week. Likely means less camouflage and more straight up - here's what we're doing we'll just execute better than you - favoring the Pats.

Should be another close game - and you don't even have to go hyperbole. If it comes down to a kick - there is little to no confidence of most of this fan base in that aspect of the Pats special teams.

That's the one advantage that doesn't jump out begging to be crowed about by opposing fans, but because its the kicking game it's overshadowed by WRs, TEs, and RBs which more than likely can be at least equalized by another aspect of the two teams whether scheme or cross-advantage in a different offensive or defensive component.

First year rookie WRs can certainly be studs, but Ruggs is already hurt. We may look back at the end of this season and see that Edward's is the real deal.

Moreau, Agholor and Renfrow. If Jacobs or Waller are shut down can those WRs step up and fill the loss in production? I don't see it.
The Patriots defense will know Renfrow tomorrow. Third down and Renfrow- its Self explanatory . Henry Ruggs at 70% isn’t better than Rico Gafford at 100%.( hope to see him activated for the first time). The Raiders haven’t needed to count on Zay Jones or Nelson Agholor, - but both have delivered the few chances they got..

With Ruggs down, the other rookie starter ( B Edwards) is going to get more chances In the offense. Raiders could play Waller at Wr , with B Edwards outside. With Hunter Renfrow in the slot. With F Moreau T Te, All the Raider Rbs are serious weapons in the passing game.

Raiders I expect to move the football between 20-20 yard line. They have to score TDS, and not field goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes