PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 3 pre-game discussion... we're on to Oakland...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neutralizing Josh Jacobs and Raiders' running game would be a crucial factor to win that game. Jackson covering Renfrow seems to be obvious but I am wondering who is going to stop Weller - Gilmore or maybe bigger Williams?.
Vegas' DBs are not superheroes so it will be another opportunity for our WR to step up.

Just a few thoughts before the game starts based on what I've heard and read about the Raiders.

1. For me the key to the game is going to be the Pats run defense. The Raiders have had massive time of possession stats that was key to their wins in their first 2 games. (IIRC over 36miinutes. That TOP stat has protected their suspect defense. If the Pats have the same lack of success stopping the run that we saw last week, then the game will devolve into another shootout, and whenever you get into one of those, you put your team into a risky situation where a tipped ball or unlucky turnover can lose you a game (not unlike we saw last week.

2. Our secondary should have good match up with the Oakland WR's and even if Waller doesn't play, the Raider will use their TE's a lot. They are an integral part of Gruden's offense. I'm actually hoping Waller plays so I can see the Waller/JJ Williams match up. And while it is unlucky that will be the only way the Pats defend him, I'm thinking it will be the most popular.

3. We've seen running Cam, and passing Cam for the first 2 weeks. I'm hoping we see a continuation in the reduction of planned runs for Cam, but an improvement to OUR running game (which will be hard without Andrews in the middle this week or JWhite not back yet. Any combination of 100 yds rushing and 25+ rushes should be what the offense needs to be balanced AND effective.

4. My biggest worry is that nothing has changed in our front 7 that would make me feel better about the run defense. Clearly Carr doesn't represent the challenge of a Russell Wilson, but he isn't an immobile QB. So how can we improve on that poor effort? a. We need to tackle a LOT better. We need Bentley to vastly improve his game. Last week he wasn't at all decisive to the point where he looked positively confused at time. We need to pressure Carr up the middle and get him off his spot.

Holding the Raiders to under 125 yds rushing will be a win for me. Also 3rd down D has to be vastly better this week.

5. On offense, improving the run game from the RB's as I mention will be the biggest factor, but I also wouild like to see more from our TE's this week. Let's get Assiasi involved this week and see what he has.

6. As for Cam, I'd like to start to see him getting out of bad plays more. 20 years of Brady can spoil a fan in that department. Maybe that's asking too much this early in the season.. but it's certainly an area I will follow closely this season. Other than that, Cam, just keep on doing what you' ve been doing and we should be fine.

Enjoy the game
Spot on here. Agree with all of it. Our front 7 is my biggest worry especially against a top rushing attack. I like our offense vs their DBs though. I agree about Cam audibling but that has never really been his game. So few QBs have that mental aspect to their game. That being said, it is early so perhaps Josh can try to work it in with him if possible.

Certainly could be a playoff preview today.

Certainly could be a playoff preview today.
Excellent optimism. While I do think NE can still win the AFCE, I don’t see the Raiders making the playoffs. In fact, I wouldn’t be shocked if neither team makes it to postseason play.

Question of the day...Can Sony Michell Step Up and average more than 3.9 ypc? If he does they will win the game, if he does not the likelihood of a win drops dramatically. With James White out, the team needs him to run hard and with vision. Certainly some of this is on the OL and they need to open some holes also.
With Andrews out and the JAG Ferentz in, I am not o very optimistic.

Question of the day...Can Sony Michell Step Up and average more than 3.9 ypc? If he does they will win the game, if he does not the likelihood of a win drops dramatically. With James White out, the team needs him to run hard and with vision. Certainly some of this is on the OL and they need to open some holes also.
With Andrews out and the JAG Ferentz in, I am not o very optimistic.

If Sony doesnt have a good game, he will drop on the depth chart. Harris is eligible to return next week. He was the best rb on the team preseason.
Youd think Michel would be highly motivated to remain the starter. We'll see.

If Sony doesnt have a good game, he will drop on the depth chart. Harris is eligible to return next week. He was the best rb on the team preseason.
Youd think Michel would be highly motivated to remain the starter. We'll see.
I’ve been a Sony apologist. Put a lot of stock in late season 2018 run heavy SB champs...

But it’s hard to ignore his lack of production. Looks like OL pretty solid this year. Perhaps Sony has/had injuries, but with reports of Harris coming on strong this summer, I think Harris is the lead back when he returns to health.

Game Day thread is now up...going to lock shortly. Farn, just wanted to say before I locked thread, that I agree 100% with you. I have been a Sony supporter and think he was integral in our Super Bowl win and playoff run, but have not seen the burst or capability of making people miss since.

I’ve been a Sony apologist. Put a lot of stock in late season 2018 run heavy SB champs...

But it’s hard to ignore his lack of production. Looks like OL pretty solid this year. Perhaps Sony has/had injuries, but with reports of Harris coming on strong this summer, I think Harris is the lead back when he returns to health.

This sums me up as well. I've been in Sony's corner as well, but the first two games this year haven't been great for him. He's definitely in danger of losing the starting job, and at this point, deservedly so.

Just a few thoughts before the game starts based on what I've heard and read about the Raiders.

1. For me the key to the game is going to be the Pats run defense. The Raiders have had massive time of possession stats that was key to their wins in their first 2 games. (IIRC over 36miinutes. That TOP stat has protected their suspect defense. If the Pats have the same lack of success stopping the run that we saw last week, then the game will devolve into another shootout, and whenever you get into one of those, you put your team into a risky situation where a tipped ball or unlucky turnover can lose you a game (not unlike we saw last week.

2. Our secondary should have good match up with the Oakland WR's and even if Waller doesn't play, the Raider will use their TE's a lot. They are an integral part of Gruden's offense. I'm actually hoping Waller plays so I can see the Waller/JJ Williams match up. And while it is unlucky that will be the only way the Pats defend him, I'm thinking it will be the most popular.

3. We've seen running Cam, and passing Cam for the first 2 weeks. I'm hoping we see a continuation in the reduction of planned runs for Cam, but an improvement to OUR running game (which will be hard without Andrews in the middle this week or JWhite not back yet. Any combination of 100 yds rushing and 25+ rushes should be what the offense needs to be balanced AND effective.

4. My biggest worry is that nothing has changed in our front 7 that would make me feel better about the run defense. Clearly Carr doesn't represent the challenge of a Russell Wilson, but he isn't an immobile QB. So how can we improve on that poor effort? a. We need to tackle a LOT better. We need Bentley to vastly improve his game. Last week he wasn't at all decisive to the point where he looked positively confused at time. We need to pressure Carr up the middle and get him off his spot.

Holding the Raiders to under 125 yds rushing will be a win for me. Also 3rd down D has to be vastly better this week.

5. On offense, improving the run game from the RB's as I mention will be the biggest factor, but I also wouild like to see more from our TE's this week. Let's get Assiasi involved this week and see what he has.

6. As for Cam, I'd like to start to see him getting out of bad plays more. 20 years of Brady can spoil a fan in that department. Maybe that's asking too much this early in the season.. but it's certainly an area I will follow closely this season. Other than that, Cam, just keep on doing what you' ve been doing and we should be fine.

Enjoy the game
Definitely need a better run D, Ken. My thought process is that they may perform better as a whole because Carr isn't Wilson. If memory serves, they had a spy on Wilson all game and also played a lot of zone to help contain him. I doubt they'll do either of those against Carr which means the spy is freed up to help against the run and the DBs can play proper man defense like they like to do.

This sums me up as well. I've been in Sony's corner as well, but the first two games this year haven't been great for him. He's definitely in danger of losing the starting job, and at this point, deservedly so.
I'll throw my hat in there too. I've been cheering him on and at this point expected more. He seems to have regressed to an extent. He's not awful but... I would rather put every other back on the roster out there before him... which pretty much sums it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back