PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 3 pre-game discussion... we're on to Oakland...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay keep believing what you say, like it makes it true. Raiders Dynamic Offense Leads to Win Over Saints
You're the one with your head in the clouds and a hard on over your team winning 2 games to start the season. But hey, I can't blame you. Your team fanbase has a right to be excited for the first time in a while. You've definitely got some young talent. Just know that reality is right around the corner to bring you back down to earth sooner or later.

LOL. This is a football forum not Dr. Phil. You can infer anything you want based on whatever posts you want. I come here to talk football.

Fair enough. Probably best for myself (and others) reading your posts to take them at face-value: you're not someone interested in the success of the Patriots; you are someone interested in the success of Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski.

Eventually it's no longer an inference but simply a reality based on the evidence provided via your posts. The fact that you didn't defend yourself as a Patriots' fan at any point basically tells us all we need to know. I'll read your posts with that awareness moving forward.

And, candidly, this is my own fault for assuming you were a Patriots' fan in the first place (based on your avatar). The only reason I'm being a petty assh*le is because I figured you supported the Pats (or at least claimed to support the Pats), but that's clearly not the case and thus my frustration over hypocrisy is misplaced and unnecessary.

After the report that Edelman’s knee is not doing well I am not thrilled that they called up Zuber.

Eh. He essentially has Gunner's spot who can come off IR after this week.

Excited to see if Zuber flashes a little tomorrow. Think it’s interesting that he was elevated before Ross who many thought would make the 53. I doubt he plays much unless Edelman or Harry are worse than we believe, but one of the things I liked about Zuber is his versatility. He will be able to play inside, outside and return punts.

After the report that Edelman’s knee is not doing well I am not thrilled that they called up Zuber.
In hindsight, Seattle was probably not the game for Newton to go to Edelman so much given he was hurt coming into the game. The Seattle loss really does not hurt that much given it is NFC but we need to win this week and then try to compete with KC. Perhaps a case of winning the battle but losing the war.

The Patriots defense will know Renfrow tomorrow. Third down and Renfrow- its Self explanatory . Henry Ruggs at 70% isn’t better than Rico Gafford at 100%.( hope to see him activated for the first time). The Raiders haven’t needed to count on Zay Jones or Nelson Agholor, - but both have delivered the few chances they got..

With Ruggs down, the other rookie starter ( B Edwards) is going to get more chances In the offense. Raiders could play Waller at Wr , with B Edwards outside. With Hunter Renfrow in the slot. With F Moreau T Te, All the Raider Rbs are serious weapons in the passing game.

Raiders I expect to move the football between 20-20 yard line. They have to score TDS, and not field goals.
Right..& Renfrow will know Jonathan Jones..

Andrews and Uche to IR, which given the new rules makes all the sense in the world. Open up roster spots for players coming back from IR after this week and give Uche time to stop reaggravating his injury.

I know someone around here who will be happy about Zuber being elevated. Right @Ross12 ? Good thing we just signed Ferentz to the PS. He was solid in his two starts last year. Not particularly good but was able to hold the fort.

Yeah!!! Let's go Zuber! I have expectations tempered since it's just a PS elevation and I doubt he will even get many reps, so probably not a lot of chances to show anything (I mean, Meyers ahead of him has barely registered on the stat sheet yet), but the fact that he was the one to get the call-up bodes well, as @Kenneth Sims stated. Would've thought it would be Ross before him but Zuber didn't get as much time in camp due to injuries. Perhaps he has shown well in practice since then. I love his versatility, here's hoping he plays some minor role and earns a spot in the future.

If I understand the 2020 rules, N Thurman can only go up and down twice, this being his second visit. So either he will go to the 53 next time or Fat Thor is returning next week.

Raiders call up from practice squad Cb Madre Harper 6’2 195 , and Lb Kyle Emanuel. Here he is on H Ruggs in training camp #43 .

Madre Harper
Of the eight outside cornerbacks who fit Seattle’s size and athletic thresholds in the 2020 NFL Draft, Harper is the most intriguing and possesses the highest ceiling. A former teammate of Flowers and Chris Carson’s at Oklahoma State, Harper went on to Southern Illinois following his dismissal in his sophomore season. Harper remained in good standing with the Cowboys, however, as he participated in their pro day in mid-March.

It was at that pro day Harper met with the Seahawks’ consultant Alonzo Highsmith, as I reported afterward. On that day, Harper excelled: Had he been invited to the combine, he would’ve ranked 5th in the forty-yard dash (4.41), 3rd in the vertical jump (40”), 3rd in the short shuttle (4.1) and 1st in the three cone (6.7) among corners. On top of his superb athleticism, he has the requisite size (6-foot-2, 196 pounds) and arm length in the 98th percentile for corners, at 33 7/8”.

In case anybody is interested, here is what Raider fans are talking about.

The first link mentions disparages this forum in the opening sentence:

This week we got New England and I'll be checking in on patsfans.com, which quite frankly, is about as boring and energetic as a Belichick press conference, but it's what we got, so here goes (I'll update throughout the week if someone over there wakes up and posts something entertaining or thoughtful -- not counting on it tbh).

Just a few thoughts before the game starts based on what I've heard and read about the Raiders.

1. For me the key to the game is going to be the Pats run defense. The Raiders have had massive time of possession stats that was key to their wins in their first 2 games. (IIRC over 36miinutes. That TOP stat has protected their suspect defense. If the Pats have the same lack of success stopping the run that we saw last week, then the game will devolve into another shootout, and whenever you get into one of those, you put your team into a risky situation where a tipped ball or unlucky turnover can lose you a game (not unlike we saw last week.

2. Our secondary should have good match up with the Oakland WR's and even if Waller doesn't play, the Raider will use their TE's a lot. They are an integral part of Gruden's offense. I'm actually hoping Waller plays so I can see the Waller/JJ Williams match up. And while it is unlucky that will be the only way the Pats defend him, I'm thinking it will be the most popular.

3. We've seen running Cam, and passing Cam for the first 2 weeks. I'm hoping we see a continuation in the reduction of planned runs for Cam, but an improvement to OUR running game (which will be hard without Andrews in the middle this week or JWhite not back yet. Any combination of 100 yds rushing and 25+ rushes should be what the offense needs to be balanced AND effective.

4. My biggest worry is that nothing has changed in our front 7 that would make me feel better about the run defense. Clearly Carr doesn't represent the challenge of a Russell Wilson, but he isn't an immobile QB. So how can we improve on that poor effort? a. We need to tackle a LOT better. We need Bentley to vastly improve his game. Last week he wasn't at all decisive to the point where he looked positively confused at time. We need to pressure Carr up the middle and get him off his spot.

Holding the Raiders to under 125 yds rushing will be a win for me. Also 3rd down D has to be vastly better this week.

5. On offense, improving the run game from the RB's as I mention will be the biggest factor, but I also wouild like to see more from our TE's this week. Let's get Assiasi involved this week and see what he has.

6. As for Cam, I'd like to start to see him getting out of bad plays more. 20 years of Brady can spoil a fan in that department. Maybe that's asking too much this early in the season.. but it's certainly an area I will follow closely this season. Other than that, Cam, just keep on doing what you' ve been doing and we should be fine.

Enjoy the game

In case anybody is interested, here is what Raider fans are talking about.

The first link mentions disparages this forum in the opening sentence:

This week we got New England and I'll be checking in on patsfans.com, which quite frankly, is about as boring and energetic as a Belichick press conference, but it's what we got, so here goes (I'll update throughout the week if someone over there wakes up and posts something entertaining or thoughtful -- not counting on it tbh).

Is this our equivalent of the Philly SB parade route ?

Just read that Newton at 6'5" 245 is BIGGER than any DB or LB that the Raiders have!

Have to get this game today. Also someone get Cam a speedy WR that you have to cover down the field.

We better be able to shut down the Raider running attack. Josh Jacobs is a very fine person and RB.

And, with injuries potentially hobbling both Harry and, most worrisome, Edelman (Yom Kippur sundown tonight, brother), can we expect a resurgence of our own running game?

And who the hades is going to be our center? James Ferentz? The midget on roller skates? If so, it’s fascinating to watch.

He so physically limited it’ll be a miracle every play won’t end in disaster when we’re on offense. He gets pushed back so fast you think he is on meth moonwalking for another hit.

Please, put in anyone other than this feeble coach’s son.

What a contrast! Rodney Hudson, the Raider center is the best in the business—led by the best Oline coach not named Dante (Tom Cable)—versus the most physically underwhelming NFL offensive lineman since the Steelers had the midget get bloodied and abused by Ed Too Tall Jones of the Cowboys in the late 1970s.

I’d trade Harry for Dalton Risner, but the Broncos would laugh in our faces.
He’s the guy who can play any position on the Oline and was drafted shortly after N’Keal.

Can a receiver not named Edelman step up big? A rookie TE? A WR named Zuber or Goober?

Can JJ Taylor get more touches? Please. He is fun to watch. Sony Michel is a disappointment most games. This one included?

We better be able to shut down the Raider running attack. Josh Jacobs is a very fine person and RB.

And, with injuries potentially hobbling both Harry and, most worrisome, Edelman (Yom Kippur sundown tonight, brother), can we expect a resurgence of our own running game?

And who the hades is going to be our center? James Ferentz? The midget on roller skates? If so, it’s fascinating to watch.

He so physically limited it’ll be a miracle every play won’t end in disaster when we’re on offense. He gets pushed back so fast you think he is on meth moonwalking for another hit.

What a contrast! Rodney Hudson, the Raider center is the best in the business—led by the best Oline coach not named Dante (Tom Cable)—versus the most physically underwhelming NFL offensive lineman since the Steelers had the midget get bloodied and abused by Ed Too Tall Jones of the Cowboys in the late 1970s.

I’d trade Harry for Dalton Risner, but the Broncos would laugh in our faces.
He’s the guy who can play any position on the Oline and was drafted shortly after N’Keal.

Can a receiver not named Edelman step up big? A rookie TE? A WR named Zuber or Goober?

Can JJ Taylor get more touches? Please. He is fun to watch. Sony Michel is a disappointment most games. This one included?

Sounds like watching the Pats is a chore for you, maybe you should stop.

But this, holy sh**. Stop acting like the Pats intentionally broke Andrews thumb to play Ferentz, which still as this moment there is no confirmation on who is starting. It could be Froholdt and Ferentz as backup.

Nothing about it will be fascinating,

He played 2.5 games as center last year (Cleveland, @Texans, KC) and was solid. Didn't end anyones career or screwed up too many snaps. Unlike Ted Karras with his floating snaps early on in the season. He will hold the fort until Andrews is back after the BYE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back