PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 17: NFL Other Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy. They were down 7-3 at the time of the stoppage, made the active choice not to resume the game, and they made the active choice to leave town. To put it more succinctly, you just make the number in the Bills’ loss column “4” instead of “3,” and the number in the Bengals’ win column “12” instead of “11.”

Actually, the easiest option was to continue the game. Since they didn’t do that, the next easiest option is to call it a 7-3 loss. That seems easier than revoking the biggest privilege a #1 seed has, and adding another team into the postseason mix.

Your definition of easy is the problem here. The notion that it's easy to assign a loss to a team that was close in a game that was nowhere near over, and has nothing approaching such a regulation, is not a notion held by any of the other major U.S. sports, and for good reason. Even baseball, the one sport that allows for shortened games, requires a significant chunk of the game to have been played, with the trailing team having gotten equal opportunity.

The game should be cancelled or forfeited by Buffalo. Both teams chose not to finish the game on Monday or even wait a day to play on Tuesday. Why should the rest of the NFL have to suffer? Why is this the Chiefs problem? There is no good solution to this, the NFL just has to find the least controversial one. If they cancel, Buffalo still gets a 2 seed and the Bengals the 3 seed. If those teams are unhappy, they should flip a coin to see who gets the higher seed. Them not being able to get the 1 seed is tough luck.
I suppose they could've had a coin flip to decide the winner of the Bills-Bengals matchup and went back to business as usual. That seems easier than flipping coins to decide neutral sites for teams that had nothing to do with it, and it erases all of the playoff scenario's that have changed.

I love this, KC has to play on the road against BUF/CIN. Probably an NFC stadium.

And Buffalo/CIN has to play on the road too...it gives no team an advantage. That's why it's called a neutral site. Arrowhead is no more of advantage to the Chiefs than Buffalo's stadium is to the Bills.

LOL the Bengals don't appear to be happy with the new proposal. Didn't they make a decision not to play this week? And didn't the Bills leave town? The teams only have themselves to blame if they find the new format unacceptable.

“The proper process for making rule change is in the off-season,” [Bengals] executive V.P. Katie Blackburn wrote in a memo obtained by ESPN.com. “It is not appropriate to put teams in a position to vote for something that may introduce bias, favor one team over another or impact their own situation when the vote takes place immediately before the playoffs.”

And Buffalo/CIN has to play on the road too...it gives no team an advantage. That's why it's called a neutral site. Arrowhead is no more of advantage to the Chiefs than Buffalo's stadium is to the Bills.
Chiefs get the advantage of a bye.

I guess we can all look forward to the Eagles losing the Super Bowl to the Bills now? Hopefully a controversial call or non-call will be involved.

Breaking down Chiefs’ playoff scenarios for the wild-card round

Chefs have a 83% probability of a BYE now

Wow this is messed up.
yeah I'm punching the air right now

mad cuba GIF

I still can't wrap my head around the possibility of two AFCS teams making the playoffs (TEN #4, JAGS #7), both with losing records in the worse division in the NFL. Crazy season.

Chiefs get the advantage of a bye.

Yeah, itwouldn't be a problem if the NFL didn't change their playoff format a few years ago to give only the 1 seed a bye.

Chiefs are pretty healthy already, so the bye won't make much of a difference. Mahomes has never had to play a playoff game on the road. I'm loving this. F*ck the Chiefs.

Chiefs are pretty healthy already, so the bye won't make much of a difference. Mahomes has never had to play a playoff game on the road. I'm loving this. F*ck the Chiefs.

See Super Bowl 54 in Miami and Super Bowl 55 in Tampa

If you are going to say KC playing at a neutral site in the AFCCG is "on the road," then you have to say his two super bowl appearances too were "on the road." There is no difference.

If Bills win and KC loses, isn't Buffalo the 1 seed with home field advantage -- not a neutral site...? Because that's how it would work even if you gave the Bills a loss against Bengals.

See Super Bowl 54 in Miami and Super Bowl 55 in Tampa

If you are going to say KC playing at a neutral site in the AFCCG is "on the road," then you have to say his two super bowl appearances too were "on the road." There is no difference.
All SBs are played on neutral sites (until TB & LA) playoff games are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference