PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 16: On to Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Bills rushed for 190 last time. 300 on Monday night? LOL. If I'm them I just run Singletary, Moss and Allen RPO all day.

If those Pats teams of the 90s can beat the Jim Kelly Bill's team then we have a chance....

after the last two games, that seems to be the formula. Run the ball against the Pats. Don't even let the Pats secondary come into play....

The 11-3 Bills are listed as a 7-point road favorite against the 6-8 Patriots. I'm guessing that has not happened since the **** MacPherson era.

New England holds an all-time record of 75-44-1 against Buffalo, plus 1-0 in the postseason. The 75 wins is the most by the Pats against any team in their franchise history.

The most lopsided game in the Pats favor occurred in 2007 when Randy Moss caught four TD passes en route to a 56-10 victory at the Ralph. It is one of three games the Patriots put a 50-burger on Buffalo (52-28 in 2012, 52-21 in 1961).

Buffalo's largest margin of victory came in a 1970 game at Harvard Stadium, 45-10. The Clive Rush Patriots did not score a TD until the 4th quarter when an over the hill Jim Nance scored on a 19 yard run. Fittingly, the Bills scored a TD on the ensuing kickoff return. Joe Kapp was his typical self, going 7-18 for 75 yards, two interceptions and a pick-six.

The Bills have held the Pats to under seven points four times in their 121 meetings, all shutouts; the most recent was the 16-0 Jacoby Brissett game in week 4 of 2016. There was also the infamous They Hate Their Coach 31-0 season opener in 2003, and an early 1960 season 13-0 game. In between was a near upset when the 1-9 Rod Rust Patriots played the 9-1 Marv Levy Bills, who were favored by 15. Marc Wilson (21-33, 234 yards) outplayed Jim Kelly (5-15, 79 yards), but also threw two picks. The game was 7-0 in the fourth quarter, but the Bills stopped Marvin Allen on a 4th down rushing attempt. In their next to last drive of the game the Patriots drove from their own 14 to the Buffalo 38, but Wilson was picked off an a deep pass intended for Irving Fryar. On the next play Thurman Thomas ran for an 80-yard TD to make it a two-score lead with less than two minutes to play to seal the outcome.

Conversely the Patriots have held Buffalo to less than seven points 16 times in their history, including four shutouts, the most well known being the 2003 31-0 bookend to the Tom Jackson game. The other shutouts were all at Buffalo: a 31-0 upset in 1983 when Steve Grogan threw two TDs to Derrick Ramsey and Roland James picked off Joe Ferguson three times; 23-0 in 1967 when the Pats defense forced six turnovers; and 13-0 in the final game of 2008 when Matt Cassel threw just eight passes due to winds so strong the goal post had to be re-centered three times.

3xchin_patsbills2_spt__1230877127_5060.jpg

As far as coach Sean McDermott is aware, the foot injury suffered by wide receiver Stefon Diggs on Saturday against the Denver Broncos is not thought to be serious.
The list of injured players coming out of Saturday’s game is long: In addition to Diggs, cornerback Tre’Davious White (stinger), tight end Dawson Knox (stinger), defensive tackle Vernon Butler (ankle), right tackle Daryl Williams (groin), tight end Reggie Gilliam (knee), defensive end A.J. Epenesa (concussion) and cornerback Levi Wallace (ankle). Knox, Butler, Gilliam and Wallace were able to return to the team’s 48-19 win.

My thread can be merged into the other one.

I know it would hurt our draft positioning but I want to beat these guys. Hope like hell we finally get a real look at Stidham for a full game.

Not Patriots related, but this does pertain to Week 16.

It looks like the most important games are Colts at Steelers this week, then Steelers at Browns and Dolphins at Bills next week.

Week 16 AFC Playoff Picture

1.) 13-1 Chiefs (vs Falcons, vs Chargers); have clinched AFC West
Virtual lock for #1 seed. Would take two losses plus about 18 other specific outcomes to not happen.

2.) 11-3 Bills (at Patriots, vs Dolphins); have clinched AFC East
Hold tiebreaker over Steelers based on week 14 win.
Can clinch #2 seed with (a) win vs Pats; plus (b) Steelers loss; plus (c) Titans loss.
Can clinch at least #3 seed with (a) win vs Pats; plus (b) either a Steelers loss or Titans loss.

3.) 11-3 Steelers (vs Colts, at Browns); have clinched a playoff spot
Can clinch the AFC North and at least the #3 seed with a victory.

4.) 10-4 Titans (at Packers, at Texans); control own destiny (two wins and they are in the playoffs)
Can clinch AFC South with a win, plus a Colts loss.
Can clinch at least #6 seed with a win, plus Dolphins loss.
Eliminated from #2 seed with a loss, plus Steelers win.
Eliminated from #3 seed with a loss, plus Bills win.

5.) 10-4 Browns (at Jets, vs Steelers); control own destiny (two wins and they are in playoffs)
Can clinch at least #5 seed with a win, plus Ravens lose, plus Dolphins lose, plus either Colts or Titans lose.
Can clinch at least #6 seed with a win, plus two of the Colts/Dolphins/Ravens lose.
Can clinch a playoff spot with a win, plus one of Colts/Dolphins/Ravens lose.
Eliminated from #2 seed if Bills win.
Eliminated from #4 seed with a loss, plus Steelers win.

6.) 10-4 Colts (at Steelers, vs Jaguars); control own destiny
Can clinch at least #6 seed with a win, plus both Dolphins and Ravens lose.
Can clinch at least #7 seed with a win, plus either Dolphins or Ravens lose.
Eliminated from #2 seed if Bills win; eliminated from #3 seed with a loss to Steelers.
Eliminated from #4 seed with loss, plus Titans win.
Eliminated from #5 seed with loss, plus both Titans and Browns win.

7.) 9-5 Dolphins (at Raiders, at Bills); control own destiny
Cannot clinch anything in Week 16.
Eliminated from #5 seed with loss, plus Colts win.
Eliminated from #6 seed loss, plus both Colts and Browns win.

8.) 9-5 Ravens (vs Giants, at Bengals); do not control own destiny
Even though the Ravens cannot clinch anything by winning out, they are in good shape. They should be able to win both of those games, and then just need either the Bills to beat Miami, or Pittsburgh to beat Cleveland, or the Titans to lose twice and they are in the playoffs.

9.) 7-7 Raiders (vs Dolphins, at Broncos); do not control own destiny
All but mathematically eliminated; they need two win twice, plus have the Ravens lose to the Giants and Bengals.

I know I'm probably in the minority but I want us to beat the Bills and knock them out of the 2nd playoff seed. To me, does it really matter if we get the 15th pick in the draft or the 18th pick, probably not but beating the Bills will be nice!!!

Im with ya, want a win and some momentum into next season

I know I'm probably in the minority but I want us to beat the Bills and knock them out of the 2nd playoff seed. To me, does it really matter if we get the 15th pick in the draft or the 18th pick, probably not but beating the Bills will be nice!!!
The Bills are going to throttle the Patriot's. That city and football team have been waiting for this day for years.

The pig is ripe for slaughter used to be funny, but the Pats are on the menu. If you thought last weeks game thread was bad you aint seen nothing yet.

Our run D was atrocious against the Dolphins. But this young D seems to feed off the offense - as opposed to our legendary early century units that carried the team on their backs to a dynasty. If we didn't have such automatic futility every offensive possession, there might be some fight in them with the pressure off, and fighting for jobs next year.

It's a prime time game, part of me wants a 50 burger on your coach and a 1st down punt to end the game but that's being vengeful. I'd like to see a good game and for the patriots to test the bills in every way possible. I'd really like bill to find some ridiculous gray area in the rules that has no impact on the game but completely embarrasses the league lol.

no fan base should suffer again like the bills have, and i'm a bills fan. no fans deserve that, we're all people rooting for our hometown team and you shouldn't be irrelevant for 25yrs with a system designed to prevent that.

just remembering Cam's stupid fumble @BUF on a game-winning (tying) drive is reason enough why he shouldn't be out there.
He said it himself, this season has been epitomized by coming up just short - time and time again I might add.

The Bills are going to throttle the Patriot's. That city and football team have been waiting for this day for years.

The pig is ripe for slaughter used to be funny, but the Pats are on the menu. If you thought last weeks game thread was bad you aint seen nothing yet.
Sounds like you're looking forward to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes