PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Week 15 pre-game thread: Patriots vs Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s the league’s fault for not mandating the booster.
There isn't a mandate for the booster across most sectors (eligibility and recommendation are the terms used): government or private, so why would the league potentially open themselves up to legal action or collective bargaining issues (regardless of political persuasion or thoughts of vaccination there would be some players that would likely take such measures given the public at large's actions to the same thus far on the in-place mandates) from guys like Rogers?

They're not likely to lose revenue as they haven't had to reschedule any games yet this season so their decision calculus is probably toward avoiding such legal action. It's gotten more players opportunity as well with the expanded rosters.

Now did they discuss it with the NFLPA as they have to do before implementing (collective bargaining)? Unknown.

The NBA did ghost mandate it - NBA says players without booster shot by Dec. 17 will face more testing, other restrictions - not a true mandate but other measures required for those that don't take it to try and increase compliance.

And the other leagues seem to be waiting for something...maybe government mandate backing to alleviate them from any repercussions? https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...8bb1b6-59f9-11ec-8396-5552bef55c3c_story.html

The team you SHOULD be afraid of is the rampaging Chiefs. The Ravens are a one trick pony. They are very good at that trick, but its all they have. No plan B for them and that is their weakness. Also they are a game behind us now.

There are only 2 teams with the same record as us. The Chiefs who have more loses in the conference, and the Titan whom we beat.
Is it just me or are the Chiefs running a ton of the same defense the "Boogeymen" were a couple years ago? Ultra aggressive, high blitzing - cover 1 and cover 0?

Is it just me or are the Chiefs running a ton of the same defense the "Boogeymen" were a couple years ago? Ultra aggressive, high blitzing - cover 1 and cover 0?

This type of defense requires really sound tackling to leave a DB 1-1 by themselves all game. Is every single Chiefs DB an excellent tackler? Otherwise this can be exposed as the Pats have a couple different good YAC guys (Bourne, Jonnu, Harris). I could see a long Bourne slant taking it to the house if the Chiefs set up incorrectly

Don’t know if it was mentioned or not yet, but Carl Cheffers is the ref for this game.

Don’t know if it was mentioned or not yet, but Carl Cheffers is the ref for this game.
1639441551817.gif
Get ready for a lot of this. Not a “let the boys play” type of guy. He’ll be on TV tonight for Cards-Rams.

(note: this may not actually be him but he is also an older cracker)

Any update on Dugger?

He'll be ready to go, BB was talking today about how good it will be to have him back this week.
I heard that too and then I saw he was still on the COVID reserve list. Hopefully we get some good news :)

No, this is not true.

If Pats win they’re 10-4 and if Bills lose they’re 7-7. 3 games to play. Bills win out it means they beat us next week and beat the Jete to finish 5-1 in the division. Pats lose out it also means they lose to the Dolphins and finish 4-2 in the division. Bills win the division under that scenario.

The next Bills game is the clinching scenario if the Dolphins cooperate (losing one of the next two games). They have Jets and Titans next two weeks.
You’re right. Thanks for the correction.

I really don’t want to have it come down to a win in Miami to win the division.

Last edited:
It also helps when their DB’s continue to get away with so much holding they make the Legion of Boom jealous.

I would like to hear the fixes no matter scheme they are Running. If you wanna share them in one of your threads pls let me know i don’t always see new threads
you actually saw one of them, when the Bills finally reacted to what the Pats were doing late in the game. One fix vs a power run blocking that features a lot of G's pulling is to have your LB's fill behind the pulling G instead of mirroring them. The Pats were doing such a fine job of caving the end of the LOS down, it was taking the mirroring LB in with the wash. By filling the gap BEHIND the pulling G aggressively they caught the RB behind the LOS 3 or 4 times late in the game.

Another is to aggressively attack the C. For example using Barmore over the N and on the snap let Barmore reestablish the LOS about a yd deep. This will either kill or disrupt the offside G pulling since he'll have a problem getting around the C

Another is something I always did as a HS coach and it would work here. You find the best OLman the other team has. In this case it would be Nelson. Then you take your 3rd best DLman (in our case it would be Godcheax IMO) and have him do one of 2 things, one use a run around technique hitting one gap or the other based on formation or tendency. Two, tackle the guy's inside leg.

Granted I was doing this with a 165lb NT, but he was a quick and very tough kid. When he did held his 2 techniques effectively it really neutralized the opponents best OL with my 3rd best DLman. When he didn't, he got blown UP. But the philosophy remains the same. Nelsob is the rock upon which the church of the Colts OL resides. He could be the best all around OLman in the league. So why try to beat him when you can aggravate him to death. The tackling him low anchors him to the LOS. There is no getting knocked back into the LB's. It takes him out of his game He can't use his power and explosion.

My alignment of the game would be what we used to call an eagle. Essentially you cover the C and 2 G's (which makes pulling very difficult) have 2 LB over the T's and your OLB's over the E's. This was passe' when I was playing in the 60's but it just might be effective in this game where the strength of the Colts OL are their G. If you slant or gap your 3 down guys to certain tendencies and guess correctly it can devastate a run game. The weakness is off tackle if you are not getting help from the inside and your OLB isn't closing and setting the edge.

Just some random thoughts.

Good morning Pat fans....getting everyone ready for a Tuesday....back at practice today.

Hopefully all outside of NE, but there are going to be a few on that list from the Pats I’m afraid. It’s the league’s fault for not mandating the booster. The original covid shots taken in March/April are useless now.
Boosters are questionable too, I have a couple friends who have caught it after getting the booster. Sorry to burst your bubble.

There isn't a mandate for the booster across most sectors (eligibility and recommendation are the terms used): government or private, so why would the league potentially open themselves up to legal action or collective bargaining issues (regardless of political persuasion or thoughts of vaccination there would be some players that would likely take such measures given the public at large's actions to the same thus far on the in-place mandates) from guys like Rogers?

They're not likely to lose revenue as they haven't had to reschedule any games yet this season so their decision calculus is probably toward avoiding such legal action. It's gotten more players opportunity as well with the expanded rosters.

Now did they discuss it with the NFLPA as they have to do before implementing (collective bargaining)? Unknown.

The NBA did ghost mandate it - NBA says players without booster shot by Dec. 17 will face more testing, other restrictions - not a true mandate but other measures required for those that don't take it to try and increase compliance.

And the other leagues seem to be waiting for something...maybe government mandate backing to alleviate them from any repercussions? https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...8bb1b6-59f9-11ec-8396-5552bef55c3c_story.html
WAPO article confirms NFLPA negotiation requirement for any mandates:

Boosters are questionable too, I have a couple friends who have caught it after getting the booster. Sorry to burst your bubble.
in an interview yesterday Fauci said " this would not be the first time, if it happened, that a vaccine that looked good in initial safety actually made people worse". he then sites a HIV vaccine that "actually made individuals more likely to get infected."

edit. the interview was not yesterday. not sure exactly when the interview occurred. content is accurate tho

Last edited:
tennesse with henry and julio back is going be tough to be beat. i think KC and Tenn are most difficult teams in the AFC because they are also coached very well.

IDK, Jones has been a major disappointment this year even when healthy. And how close to 100% will Henry be after he returns. A RB coming off a major foot injury could be a shell of himself.

IDK, Jones has been a major disappointment this year even when healthy. And how close to 100% will Henry be after he returns. A RB coming off a major foot injury could be a shell of himself.
When I was in a cast my calf shrank. No way he will be at full strength. His power is in his legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft