PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 13 NFL Games

so mad at KC giving up 5 TDs to PM. I fear that the 50 TD mark is going down this year.

He may break the 50 mark.

However, with his 2 INT's today, he already has 9 INT's. Brady did 50 TD's to 8 INT's in 2007.

So even if Manning breaks the TD mark, there probably can always be an argument over who had the better year.

Bingo, my Saintly friend.

It all comes down to the NFL not making these guys full-time professionals. I know, I know, the season only lasts 5 months (6.5 including PS and SB), but these guys should still hone their craft, train and teach for the NFL in the offseason.

For SB 46, I was shocked to learn through my broker-dealer a week before the game that the head referee was a fellow Financial Advisor with my company. My company was thrilled and proud. I was shocked and horrified (though he and his crew did a pretty good job).

yeah, my wife has a friend that part times as a Ref, and works at deliote as a accountant. I have met him, and wow. That guy should not be a crossing guard. Let along deciding NFL games.
Totally agree they need to be full time and learn their craft. The failures this year by the refs are inexcusable.

Actually, they do those thing during the offseason. Not full time, but I swear some people think that once the season is over the refs disappear until August. There already is offseason training sessions.

I don't care if they make refs full time or not, I just laugh at how foolhardy some people are that they think a ref watching game film in early May can prevent bad calls like the non-PI on Gronkowski or 1 ref thinking it's a first down and telling the chain gang to move.

Where you are wrong is that neither were "bad calls". In fact, the calls made in both instances were CORRECT.

The ADMINISTERING of both calls is what was the problem (Gronk flag was picked up by the other refs and crew chief who ran off the field, tonight's call/placement was correct but the officials screwed up the down and yardage communication).

You may think it is "foolhardy" for someone to want the NFL officials to be full-time professionals at their craft. That is your prerogative. I happen to think that, with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, NFL officials should not be spending most of their working hours selling insurance or teaching high school.

Last edited:
Those calls at the end of the jets and panthers game really suck right now. Would have homefield.

Who really cares about that useless stat anymore?

If you asked Tom today if he'd trade that record for another SB ring, he'd do so in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

Ultimately, that's the only thing that really matters. Pointless regular season stats don't mean jack all when it comes down to it. I'm going to keep laughing if he does break the record only to go one-and-done like he always does while the Patriots march on to #4.

I know W's are more important than TD's, but I also don't want to endure the PM kiss-ass fest that will ensue if he breaks the record.

He may break the 50 mark.

However, with his 2 INT's today, he already has 9 INT's. Brady did 50 TD's to 8 INT's in 2007.

So even if Manning breaks the TD mark, there probably can always be an argument over who had the better year.
Manning's 2013 year so far isn't even better than his best season (2004) in terms of efficiency. He's throwing way more now, that's obviously been the difference. In addition to all those TDs at within the 5 yard-line. If there's a record to be set, that would be it. I've never seen a QB so determined to absolutely refuse to hand it off at the goal-line.

In terms of best QB years:
  1. Tom Brady 2007
  2. Aaron Rodgers 2011
  3. Peyton Manning 2004
  4. Tom Brady 2010
The fifth will be debatable until the season is up between Manning's and Brees' 2011 season. Regardless of whether he breaks the TD record or not, he won't top that four in terms of efficiency. Those are to me best the 4 years of quarterbacking in the modern pass happy era.

I know W's are more important than TD's, but I also don't want to endure the PM kiss-ass fest that will ensue if he breaks the record.
We have to endure that regardless. Even if he does break the record, it will all prove futile come playoff time.

You may think it is "foolhardy" for someone to want the NFL officials to be full-time professionals at their craft. That is your prerogative. I happen to think that, with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, NFL officials should not be spending most of their working hours selling insurance or teaching high school.
You obviously didn't read and comprehend my post. I didn't say it was foolhardy to want full time refs. I said it was foolhardy to think that having referees watching game film 40 hours a week in April will do a single thing to resolve these problems which crop up every week. I don't give a crap if they go to full time refs; I'm just wise enough to realize that having full time referees will do nothing to solve the problem.

It's part of the game. It's frustrating, but there's nothing that can be done in April or May or June to help a referee see pass interference better in November.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back