SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Chiefs
Sun
Dec 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Tough Loss
Sunday night's loss in Houston was tough, leaving the Patriots with questions heading into this week's showdown against the Chiefs

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

We Gave Up A 2nd Round Pick For Sanu

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Joey007, Dec 1, 2019 at 10:19 PM.

1. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +32,170
    People keep coming back to this topic for years now and I still think that the reason that the Patriots rarely take WR early in the draft is because it is easier (and less expensive in terms of assets) to project veteran FA receivers that show attributes that make them a fit in the offense than to project how young players will take up the complex system.

As I said before.. of course you could make an argument that maybe the system is too complicated and grown way to intricate over all those years and might be in need of some pruning. But shaving off some of that also diminishes a lot of the stuff Brady figured out against certain defensive looks and would hurt him.

What is starting to make me wonder with Harry is that they can't seem to find even a consistent package of plays for him to contribute on third downs or in the red zone. Yes, sometimes they don't wanna substitute and go fast with whoever is on the field and he will clearly not be on for those. But there wasn't too much of that yesterday.

Hell, if they can't find a way to design around his contested catch ability on two point plays then I am not sure what an reasonable expectation for him is anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Triumph

Triumph Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,999
    you werent the only one.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. supafly

supafly Starting to see some ghosts PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +23,608
    And you can say the exact same thing about Sanu. He was expected to add a physical presence as a red zone threat, and to help move the chains on third downs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. randomk1

randomk1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +344
    No way this is coaching imo. Compared to the rest of the league has there ever been a more consistent offense? Especially in the playoffs when the competition ramps up.

Right now we have players who are not that talented and for some reason aren't even on the same page as Brady.

I've no clue what the fix might be.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Triumph

Triumph Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,999
    Why would Brady come back to NE? The WR group will be older and worse than this season. The only guy who is consistent and worth keeping is Edelman.

I cant blame Brady for leaving and playing for the Chargers next season. Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry, Austin Ekler, Melvin Gordon.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Confused Confused x 1
  6. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +32,170
    I don't know how often this needs to be pointed out. He is hobbled, and can clearly not push off on his injured ankle as tightly as usual limiting him severely. Give Edelman the same injury and see how he becomes less effective because the DBs can just leverage to the side of his healthy ankle.

You remember the DYJ segment where Patricia explained how the team was playing Julio Jones who came into the SB with some ankle injury and tape showed he was mostly running his in cuts to one side ? Yeah..

I feel like people really underestimate how much high ankle sprains suck. Hernandez wasn't the same for most of the 2012 season after he suffered one early in September. Those mofos linger and linger but at the same time players understandably want to show off their toughness and help their teammates extending the issue further and further.

• Thank You Thank You x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. supafly

supafly Starting to see some ghosts PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +23,608
    And yet Jones was still able to produce and almost had a 100 yard game. Why? Because he’s got talent, and he’s not trying to pick up a new offense, and because there aren’t 2 other receivers who are trying to learn it at the same time, bogging down the whole side of the ball.

Anyway you look at it, this was probably not a good move for 2019. Hopefully, you’re right and Sanu gets back to having his one big game a year (91 yards in Atlanta’s comeback attempt vs Tennessee) with a better ankle, but that will have to happen very soon.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. randomk1

randomk1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +344
    They are very limiting. I played soccer formerly and played without letting it heal properly and just getting reinjured so easily. It's a *****.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +75,948
    Why would it be worse?

Harry, Meyers and Sanu won't improve? The line won't improve? TE won't improve?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +32,170
    He is an elite talent that can create separation at any point of the route without the need for scheme. The two players are worlds apart and nothing like each other.

I am not comparing Sanu with Jones but just trying to point out what is happening with Sanu's ankle.

I honestly think you have the wrong idea about practices in the NFL. Sanu's presence affects Meyers and Harry in practice as much as LaCosse or Izzo. Completely different roles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Triumph

Triumph Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,999
    Edelaman will be 34 years old. The only trusted WR.
    Dorsett is a dope and a bust.
    Meyers ran the wrong way.
    Sanu stopped at 8 yards when the Pats needed 9 yards for a 1st down.

Improve how? The draft?

The Pats will go pick some rummy like Harry K who will need surgery before training camp.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. farn

farn Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +9,778
    While I agree that weapons in LA’s offense are more talented thad those Brady has here this season, I guess the answer could be “winning”. SD / LA has a history of failure, disappointment, and underachievement. NE is a consistent winner with many SBs.

• Confused Confused x 1
  13. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +75,948
    Yep. Sucks to be a Pats fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  14. Triumph

Triumph Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,999
    I could being down Sony for a 2 yard gain.

2 yard Sony. Guaranteed to pick up 2 yards unless its 4th and inches and he loses 2 yards.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Triumph

Triumph Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,999
    SD loses because of Rivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Triumph

Triumph Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,999
    Sucks to be Brady

The deal is that he takes less money to afford to place good players around him. Flea Market WRs is not what Brady had in mind at this stage of his career.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Confused Confused x 1
  17. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +75,948
    He signed the contract. JE got an extension. They signed AB and he F-ed them. It is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Confused Confused x 1
  18. farn

Ratings:
    +9,778
    Not saying he isn’t part of the problem, but do you truly think Rivers is the reason SD/LA has never won ? If so, how many SBs do you think they’d have w/o him ? Keep in mind, I’m not asking “how many would they have with Brady”.

19. Triumph

Triumph Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,999
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. farn

Ratings:
    +9,778
    These are the recent results :
    2014 champs
    2015 AFCCG
    2016 champs
    2017 SB
    2018 champs
    2019 10-2

Yes, Brady is frustrated about the offense and there have been disappointments. Do you think other QBs would rate that soul crushing ? Also, what expectations should a QB have, overall, from their coach/GM/teammates ? Should there always be 100% success in all dealings ?