PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are posted as the #2 likely suspect for Lamar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody wants Jackson here more than me but I doubt it's happening if RKK was so public about it.

People are blowing Jackson's injuries way overboard. You can't operate like and he's been hurt in the pocket. It happens. Scared money don't make money. Again you can't operate worrying if football players are going to get hurt. And btw our own Mac was hurt and out last year. If he missed 3-4 games this year, is he injury prone???

If Mac + 14 gets you Lamar you have to consider it. You'd be extremely dumb not too and yes obviously you're paying him. Again some of you think you're too clever when it comes to spending. You're not getting elite players without paying them and gods knows this team needs elite players.

Not happening though. I would ****in torture some of you guys if it did and the gods won't give this Irishman the satisfaction of being right all the time.

Jackson is looking for a five year deal at the very top of the market for QBs fully guaranteed. I don't think anyone is overblowing his injuries in this scenario. You absolutely have to take into affect the fact he has had significant injuries over the last two years when thinking about signing or trading for him.

Mac is a completely different story. He is still on a rookie deal and can easily be cut or traded with minimal impact on the team's cap if he turns out to be injury prone. If Jackson continues to miss about a third of the season every year due to injuries, the Patriots are screwed because they cannot cut bait with him without serious salary cap ramifications for about four years.

What does this say about their confidence in Mac, especially if they can’t get a deal done and Mac stays. Relationship is already strained.
I agree, not a good look.

Won’t happen. It’s a steaming mound of #2.

If it did happen, I’d finally buy the notion that BB has lost his wits. Also Kraft should have the team taken away by his children.

"Jackson has a 1-3 career playoff record with four total touchdowns and seven turnovers. His passer rating in the playoffs (68.3) is 28.4 points lower than his regular season average, the fifth-largest dropoff in NFL history."

From CBS Sports

"Mac Jones has a passer rating of 75.8 with 232 yards, 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions in 1 game in the playoffs in his career."

From Statmuse

"Jackson has a 1-3 career playoff record with four total touchdowns and seven turnovers. His passer rating in the playoffs (68.3) is 28.4 points lower than his regular season average, the fifth-largest dropoff in NFL history."

From CBS Sports

"Mac Jones has a passer rating of 75.8 with 232 yards, 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions in 1 game in the playoffs in his career."

From Statmuse
He sure has carried Baltimore in the playoffs.

Just waiting for the "yea but his team sucks" or "If he only had receivers like Mac Jones had" and "a quarterback can't win a game by himself"
Let us not forget "Any coach would have won all those superbowls with this QB"

It seems like Kraft mentioned Jackson so the Patriots press wouldn't only focus on Belichick's non comments. After I heard him the quote responding to a question about why fans should be optimistic I knew that the Belichick vs Brady narrative would be all over sports talk radio and this board. That isn't really a good narrative for the Pats, so changing the conversation is a smart move.

Bringing in Lamar on a fully guaranteed deal is pretty much the opposite of how the Pats have operated as long as been a fan (mid 90's). I've given up hoping that the Pats will act in a manner different than they have been, it's a surefire way to end up disappointed.

I think sometimes playoff record, especially for younger QBs, can be a bit misleading. Locally we're a bit skewed, because we had Tom Brady, who went 10-0 to start his playoff career. That is an abberation. There are a few guys like Mahomes and Burrow (coming on) that are having immediate success, but again, if your standard is "My QB has to be the BEST" all but one or two teams are going to be disappointed.

Peyton Manning lost his first three playoff games with QB Ratings of 62, 82, and 31. His playoff record before his first Super Bowl run was 3-6. Sometimes it just takes time (and the right circumstances) to break through.

Again, I'm fairly neutral on getting Lamar. It's a bold move with no doubt an immediate jolt to the offense. There's also wisdom in keeping your QB cost controlled for a couple more years and trying to build up in other areas. But if the biggest knock on Lamar is he hasn't had immediate playoff success in his career, I think the standard might be a bit unreasonable.

I don't really care one way or the other, I just am trying to expose the hypocracy of some of the posters who look at him as a savior to take us to the promised land. He has sucked in the playoffs. Some posters continually come up with excuses as to why that is, but in the end, he has sucked. Investing a huge amount of cash and giving up huge amounts of draft capital for a player who has consistently choked at the biggest stage isn't necessarily a recipe for sucess. But we can look at Clevland's historic march to the superbowl this year as a model of why we should do it.

Anyone who thinks Kraft, one of the most money smart owners in the league, the guy that ended the stalemate over a potential player strike and work stoppage, would be willing to pay Lamar Jackson a fully guaranteed contract should get their head examined. Use your head people.

You can build deliberately or you can take risks. Lamar would be a HUGE risk.

I don't know, maybe QB is the place to do something like that, but with the guarantee demands, it's a really HUGE risk.
If they don't think Jones or Zappe are ever going to be the answer (I doubt this is the case, but who knows?), then maybe they do it.
If BB was really only interested in Shula's record, he'd do it. Right now Lamar >>>>>>> Mac, no question. Jackson, healthy, is a top-five QB in the league.
Won't last, but healthy at this time, he is.
Personally, I'd rather see them trade for Jeudy or some other potentially great WR or CB.

I think sometimes playoff record, especially for younger QBs, can be a bit misleading. Locally we're a bit skewed, because we had Tom Brady, who went 10-0 to start his playoff career. That is an abberation. There are a few guys like Mahomes and Burrow (coming on) that are having immediate success, but again, if your standard is "My QB has to be the BEST" all but one or two teams are going to be disappointed.

Peyton Manning lost his first three playoff games with QB Ratings of 62, 82, and 31. His playoff record before his first Super Bowl run was 3-6. Sometimes it just takes time (and the right circumstances) to break through.

Again, I'm fairly neutral on getting Lamar. It's a bold move with no doubt an immediate jolt to the offense. There's also wisdom in keeping your QB cost controlled for a couple more years and trying to build up in other areas. But if the biggest knock on Lamar is he hasn't had immediate playoff success in his career, I think the standard might be a bit unreasonable.

Jackson's contemporaries have better records in the playoffs for the most part. You look at Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow and they all have better playoff records. Although Herbert is worse.

I don’t think so read that the compensation for this year is sorted it’s next seasons compensation they are hung up on.

However the Titans, Falcons, Colts, Vikings are all a threat to grab Lamar Jackson.
The Titans are very interesting Lamar and Henry would be some serious ball control there hope it doesn't happen.

The Titans are very interesting Lamar and Henry would be some serious ball control there hope it doesn't happen.
Henry would be part of the trade I believe.
Yes that would be gross I’ve said for the last two seasons ten would be deadly with Jackson.
Bill needs to move on this.

The trade makes sense but the deal doesn’t, I don’t see them doing a 6 year fully guaranteed deal.
Do it! Mac, #14, & 2nd round 2024 for Lamar. I'll go 5 seasons fully guaranteed, call it high risk high reward, whatever, it's well worth it. Consider the probable alternative, more middling results with Mediocre Mac until BB inches past Shula in 2025... boring!!

The Patriots WRs suddenly are going to look a whole lot better with Lamar at QB. JuJu, Parker, Bourne, and I'll even throw in a sliver of hope for Tyquan with Lamar throwing rockets to him 60-75 yards downfield. I'm good with those WRs with Lamar. Plus Henry and Gesicki. Also Lamar AND Rhamondre coming at defenses out of the backfield... GTFOH... who doesn't want this!?!

Belichick has to get this done before the Jets wise up, move off that turd Rodgers, and go after Lamar themselves. That Jets offense (and team) with Lamar would be ****ing scary. Rodgers gives the Jets 2-3 seasons max, Lamar possibly gives them a decade of excellence.

Do it! Mac, #14, & 2nd round 2024 for Lamar. I'll go 5 seasons fully guaranteed, call it high risk high reward, whatever, it's well worth it. Consider the probable alternative, more middling results with Mediocre Mac until BB inches past Shula in 2025... boring!!

The Patriots WRs suddenly are going to look a whole lot better with Lamar at QB. JuJu, Parker, Bourne, and I'll even throw in a sliver of hope for Tyquan with Lamar throwing rockets to him 60-75 yards downfield. I'm good with those WRs with Lamar. Plus Henry and Gesicki. Also Lamar AND Rhamondre coming at defenses out of the backfield... GTFOH... who doesn't want this!?!

Belichick has to get this done before the Jets wise up, move off that turd Rodgers, and go after Lamar themselves. That Jets offense (and team) with Lamar would be ****ing scary. Rodgers gives the Jets 2-3 seasons max, Lamar possibly gives them a decade of excellence.
I agree with everything you said here.
Patriots need to grab Lamar or trade up for Levis they can see where todays NFL is going.
Mac may be a great Coach in the future but he is not a franchise QB.

I agree, not a good look.
Yeah. Quietly make it happen and go with LJ, or you fully back Mac publicly so he has full support.

You can't say you want another QB... but make no effort to trade for him. This is misleading your fanbase and adding further mental toll to your young QB, that already went through the mill last season with mismanagement.

Almost where? LJ is a slightly above-average passer. So is Mac.

Mac will win games with BOB and the pass-catchers and Rham but if healthy, LJ gets you 4k+ yards of total offense and 30+TDs. Mac gets you that only with a WR1. LJ is a more talented player and this NEP offense needs game-breaking talent.

For me, LJ is only getting 3 years and mid-tier starting QB money is because he is not durable, has a bit of a 'tude and hasn't proven himself in the playoffs. Plus it's cap-friendly and they still need help on D and O to compete for a SB
Are you agreeing with me? I can't tell. I like your second paragraph. Your contract offer is an obvious deal breaker for Lamar. You have to be more aggressive there. 5 years, BIG $, mostly-guaranteed, try to leave some wiggle room after year 3. But I'm ultimately willing to reach his demands... he's a MAJOR franchise altering player.

Yeah. Quietly make it happen and go with LJ, or you fully back Mac publicly so he has full support.

You can't say you want another QB... but make no effort to trade for him. This is misleading your fanbase and adding further mental toll to your young QB, that already went through the mill last season with mismanagement.
We are destroying Mac Jones

Bill is killing this kid he could of backed him up saying Mac is our guy if any position needs that it’s the QB.

Now maybe Bill feels this will motivate Mac or maybe behind closed doors him and Mac laugh at this. I don’t like the way Bill is handling the situation.

I honestly don’t know what to think.

Are you agreeing with me? I can't tell.

I agree LM is an upgrade over Mac. You think hes a top 5 QB and an elite passer which I don't.
I like your second paragraph. Your contract offer is an obvious deal breaker for Lamar. You have to be more aggressive there. 5 years, BIG $, mostly-guaranteed, try to leave some wiggle room after year 3. But I'm ultimately willing to reach his demands... he's a MAJOR franchise altering player.
You think hes more of a difference-maker than I do thus why i'm not paying him what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents