PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are on to Cincinnati...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to get INTO this game....the Queen City ain't no gimmie....

Game plan:

1.) Shut down Mixon. No Mixon, this offense doesn't roll.

2.) Lock up Boyd with Gilly. I don't think they have any other WR's than Ross who is just returning off I/R. Tate is out for this one I believe and AJ Green hasn't even played at all this season. But we need to watch Ross' speed though...the Red Rifle is named 'Rifle' for a reason.

3.) Have Chung lock up Eifert.

4.) PRAY that our offense can solve its protection issues and RZ woes sufficiently enough!

5.) Flip the field with Slater & Co.
The best part of the bengals is their pass rush and front. Maybe not at the peak of their powers but combine with our weak oline, this is the biggest concern in this game for us.

So Wynn is OK now? Did he have an eye exam yesterday?

Best timing ever to go light on some of them.
Normally I’d agree but if they can go, they’ve got to go. I understand it’s just the Bengals but we need to win out in order to get the bye week. Balls to wall now, rest later.

Normally I’d agree but if they can go, they’ve got to go. I understand it’s just the Bengals but we need to win out in order to get the bye week. Balls to wall now, rest later.

I agree that they shouldn't be inactive. That being said I think this is as good as a chance as you will get in this season to try out a couple things while maybe giving some players like Edelman a lighter target load. Let him run his routes and whatnot but lets have a bit more of patience with Meyers, LaCosse and Harry.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you said e.g. about trying some deeper throws to Harry in one of the recent rewatch threads. In the big scheme of things you a) wanna see if he can actually make plays in that situation and b) put some stuff on tape to make other teams at least a bit hesitant about defending just the intermediate game.

The Bengals game might be the one with the biggest margin for error left.

So Wynn is OK now? Did he have an eye exam yesterday?
Yep he had the stink eye.

Same issue when I watch the offense.

I agree that they shouldn't be inactive. That being said I think this is as good as a chance as you will get in this season to try out a couple things while maybe giving some players like Edelman a lighter target load. Let him run his routes and whatnot but lets have a bit more of patience with Meyers, LaCosse and Harry.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you said e.g. about trying some deeper throws to Harry in one of the recent rewatch threads. In the big scheme of things you a) wanna see if he can actually make plays in that situation and b) put some stuff on tape to make other teams at least a bit hesitant about defending just the intermediate game.

Deep post, hitches, comebacks are what I would like to see his route tree expand to in the coming weeks. Even bubble screens as well to get him operating in traffic. I would stay away from slants and crossers until he shows more of a rapport with Brady.

Deep post, hitches, comebacks are what I would like to see his route tree expand to in the coming weeks. Even bubble screens as well to get him operating in traffic. I would stay away from slants and crossers until he shows more of a rapport with Brady.

Add some corner routes and a fade in the endzone and I am a happy camper.

Do you really think crossers require that much of a rapport ? Also what makes hitch routes less "sophisticated" than normal slants (or in cuts) ?

Do you really think crossers require that much of a rapport ? Also what makes hitch routes less "sophisticated" than normal slants (or in cuts) ?
Hitch gets him outside the numbers on the edge and helps get him open because he’s turning around and coming back to the quarterback. Most of the time, if those balls are deflected, they’re flying harmlessly out of bounds. But it’s not less “sophisticated.” It’s just a route with more room for error. Slants and crossers are dangerous because if the receiver is not in the right spot and that ball is coming, there is more traffic in the area. Higher probability of a pick. And if Brady doesn’t think he will be in the right spot on those, he won’t throw it. Brady has been more risk averse this year, deciding to ditch a play quickly if he doesn’t see anything there and trust more in the defense if he has to. Those routes would be good ones to expand his route tree with because there’s more room for error while they’re still able to keep the leash somewhat tight and ease him in.

We haven’t really used him in the slot, right? Unless you take a huge inside stem, it’s pretty hard to run corner routes from the outside. He’s angle just isn’t there

Slants can be a harder route to run. Against press, you have to worry about whether ya oh release inside or out, establish inside position on your break, and be strong through the break (he wasn’t vs HOU). You also have to worry about going over LBs if it’s zone.

On a hitch vs press, it’s usually either a convert to a fade or you’re just out of the read. Come off the ball hard, have good break point mechanics, and come back to the ball. That’s pretty much it. And as mentioned above, a mistake there isn’t usually as costly (unless it’s a poorly run route and you drift instead of coming back to the ball or you give your break point away. Those invite a pick 6.)

Patriots-Bengals Preview from Tom E. Curran: No cinch in Cincy
Hoping the Patriots get their all-important run game working at a somewhat competent level this week? It’s on them because the Bengals won’t help them. Cincinnati last week gave up 146 yards on 27 carries to the Browns but 57 of those came on one Nick Chubb carry. Down in, down out, the Bengals front-seven anchored by Geno Atkins (pictured) and Carlos Dunlap is a tough group to run against. In their lone win against the Jets two weeks ago, they held LeVeon Bell to 32 on 10 carries and Bilal Powell to 14 on four carries.

The Patriots labors in running the ball goes to personnel in front of the running back not the guy with the ball. The lack of tight end presence, the absence of a fullback, the subpar offensive line performance because of injury or just plain operator error, it’s been an issue all season. Jet sweeps, Tom Brady scrambles and James White runs against sub defenses have been the productive runs the past two games. Hard to see that changing unless a switch gets flipped.
Only once in their past six games have the Patriots been better than 40 percent third-down conversions. There’s an array of reasons for that – ineffectiveness on first and second down leading to third-and-long, a lack of speed at receiver allowing teams to play press coverage and blitz the Patriots underachieving offensive line and speed up Tom Brady, increased attention sent to third-down staples Julian Edelman and James White.

The Patriots need a healthy Mohamed Sanu (pictured) desperately. If he can be a factor – and he hasn’t been in three weeks, then there could be a trickle-down effect. Until then, Brady will be reduced to ducking, running and trying to deliver to raw receivers who he doesn’t yet have extreme faith in. In their past three games, Cincy has allowed 203, 239 and 192 yards passing and kept quarterbacks under 50 percent completions in two of three.

I gotta think we can bank this game because Cincy fans and ownership won't forgive the loss of Joe Burrow. So, maybe we can relax and enjoy again as we go to 11-3 and head for a bye.

Brady's last visit to Cincinnati...18-38-197 and a pick . ..threw to edelman, Amendola, Dobson and thompkins

He should do better tomorrow..... SHOULD

IIRC 2013 game was played in rain

The Dolphins at home week 17 is a lock, unless the playoffs seeding is no longer in question. But I doubt that could happen.

As far as load management today, I doubt that will happen unless it's a blowout. But to get there, Edelman will have to be targeted a lot.

This feels like a Burkhead/White/Bolden day to me. The Bengals suck against the run which means lots of draw plays, screens and sweeps to keep that defensive line off Brady and guessing. If the Patriots can move the sticks with the backfield, they can wear down the best unit of the Bengals which opens everything up late in the game.

Going to lock thread as the GDT is now up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes