PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We’re on to Green Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like we're gonna have to play a perfect game as we did against the Chiefs on offense. I expect the D to give up multiple TDs to the bad man by air or by ground. Again, a fairly winnable game if the pats show up to play.

Last edited:
I'm glad we are playing the Packers at home. Our team is better there and they are worse on the road. Hoping Mitchell (and also Hightower) is back so that we have all of our components for a shoot-out as neither D is great. Still don't trust our D, but I'm hoping for the best.

Bummed out that it's another home night game. (said in my best Sergeant Hulka voice) "I'm getting too old for this $h!+!!"

I hope Bill isn’t lining up Patterson (although he did well considering Waddle and the line sucking) or Patrick Pass outta the I formation come Sunday.

I'd like to not see a defensive game plan like the one in 2014 where the DL just basically stood there and watched Rodgers as he surveyed the field and picked the secondary apart. Especially with a banged up knee.

Wasn’t Rodgers hobbled in that 2014 game too?

Lucky for that guy, there’s ALWAYS an excuse if he does lose, and it’s never his fault. One of the worst defenses we face all year. Looking forward to the offense clicking again and dropping 40. Then Rodgers is another loss closer to resting his leg while he watches the real goat in the playoffs.

They present some match up problems, especially on defense. Adams, Cobb, Graham Allison, and St Brown can all make plays.

#of catches (and targets) those players have (Packers have played 7 games):

Adams - 52 (78) 13.3 avg, 6 TD
Cobb - 21 (32) 11.1 avg, 1 TD
Graham - 28 (49) 13.2 avg, 1 TD
Allison - 20 (30) 15.2 avg, 2 TD
St. Brown - 6 (8) 23.2 avg
Valdez-Scantling 14 (26) 18.4 avg 2 TD

Cobb, obviously has missed some time, returning last week. It will be a good challenge week for Jones, but I feel like he's up to it.

Same for Gilmore with Adams (who I think will see the majority of the time on, similar to Hopkins). Good challenge for him as well, but he's done an excellent job on his assignments all year.

Graham is a shell of the guy who was in New Orleans. Chung should be able to handle that assignment and win most of the time.

St, Brown and Valdez-Scantling are gimmick fly pattern guys, This is a concern, although DMcCourty should be freed up to play his preferred (and better) position as deep safety, and not be in the box much.

Allison is a younger version of Chris Hogan.

They don't throw to their backs much at all (29 catches on 48 targets total for the position, 9.2 avg), and none are anything resembling a game breaker, it's mostly dumpoffs.

I mean, like any team, there are strengths and weaknesses with personnel, but it's not as if the Packers are running out Hill, Kelce, Watkins and Hunt, and Rodgers isn't nearly the running threat he's been in years past.

I think this is a half-decent matchup, assuming the defense is able to come out healthy. Packers will get yards, but they're 20th on 3rd down (38.5%), and 20th in Red Zone (12/23 52.2%), so I don't really see a reason why they won't get around their average (25.0 ppg).

I dunno, I'm not particularly scared of anyone besides Cobb and Adams, and I think Adams can be contained by scheme and personnel, so that really leaves scheming up Cobb to me. Make sure he's virtually never covered by a linebacker, and they should be ok.

Do that, make Matthews look like Polamalu (something Cam Newton can do, ffs), and the Patriots should be ok.

I'd be surprised if it were a blowout, I expect a TD game-ish. I'd be completely stunned if the Packers ran up and down the field against the Patriots like the Chiefs did. Patriots win and cover (5.5) again this week, unless some crazy injuries pop up or the Patriots turn the ball over 3 or 4 times (which, this year, you can't discount completely from happening.)

I will say this Green Bays Defense is underrated. They gave that Rams Team all they could handle on Sunday. Davante Adams is a Super WR Gilmore ain't holding him to one catch Sunday as well as he's playing.

I think McCarthy is starting to realize they have a real rb in jones. Do we play a similar game plan like vs pitt where we give them looks baiting the packers into running the ball?
Yes. Although I expect the Packers still won't bother to run the ball.

I'd like to not see a defensive game plan like the one in 2014 where the DL just basically stood there and watched Rodgers as he surveyed the field and picked the secondary apart. Especially with a banged up knee.

And hope that JMcCourty doesn't suddenly fall of the Revis cliff (like Revis did in that game).

I will say this Green Bays Defense is underrated. They gave that Rams Team all they could handle on Sunday. Davante Adams is a Super WR Gilmore ain't holding him to one catch Sunday as well as he's playing.
Rams had almost 450 yds of offense, 300 yds passing, and scored 29.

If that's 'all they can handle', then the Rams are better than the Greatest Show on Turf and the 07 Patriots combined.

As mediocre the Packers D may be on paper, I thought they did a great job against the Rams, consistently pressuring Goff.

They blitzed constantly. For such a 'great' QB Goff is, he can't handle being blitzed.

They did a good job for a half. If they're able to bring the same intensity to Foxboro, they could absolutely win. I would be stunned if Pettine were dumb enough to jailbreak blitz Brady for an entire half, however.

We need much better production from the O than last night. Rogers has played well against us in the past and I expect we will get his very best. I really hope Sony is back , otherwise we need to get RB help today ! And I am very worried about Gronk, he just seems off this year.

Michel is definitely a huge piece.

CJ Beathard had a passer rating of 115 against the Packers (Rodgers had a 100 passer rating against the 49ers defense.)

Jared Goff had a 111 passer rating against the Packers defense. And Rodgers had a 1o2.9 rating against the Rams defense. Perhaps they're actually capable of more than you're giving them credit for, or, at least, capable of playing up to the level of their opponent.

The Packers?

I'm guessing that you didn't actually get to see them against the Rams on Sunday.

They're average, as the numbers bear out. The worst defense we'll play all year is Kansas City.

They've got a good-to-very good defensive line, active (but dumb) linebackers (Martinez is by far their best and smartest), and a below average secondary. Comes out to about average.

Jared Goff had a 111 passer rating against the Packers defense. And Rodgers had a 1o2.9 rating against the Rams defense. Perhaps they're actually capable of more than you're giving them credit for, or, at least, capable of playing up to the level of their opponent.

If Brady puts up a 111 passer rating on Green Bay, and Rodgers puts up a 102.9 against New England, Patriots will win by a TD or so, assuming they haven't turned the ball over 3 times.

I'm never going to rule out good quarterbacks. Rodgers (though no Tom Brady) will always keep his team in games, and even if he were having a bad season by his standards, you'd never be surprised if he went off in any given game.

Last night is hard to judge due to how woeful that Bills offense is, so this will be a real test on if the defense is ready to take strides forward.

Barring injuries to key weapons, I always expect the offense to bounce back from subpar performances, and they never felt in rhythm against the Bills. I expect 30+ from Brady and the O on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST